C4 Forums | Control4

Small PC for A/V Rack

1 hour ago, jamesc4 said:

Hi Guys

Looking for a small Computer for A\V Rack that I can use to remote into.

Question is , will be turn back on after power outage.

My win10 pic restarts after a power failure, skips the password requirement and it launches blue iris as it’s set up as a service.  Did it years ago with some help from google but super easy.  

5 hours ago, Amr said:

My Advice go with LinuxMint OS in SFF Dell or HP out of eBay, also OS depends on what you need to do with it 😁

Or even unRAID and use it as a NAS to store media and other files, and use Docker Containers for stuff like Plex, OpenVPN, Unifi Controller, etc.  And you can install multiple versions of Linux in VMs, or even Windows in a VM.

You could also just get a rack mountable PC case and build your own PC, or have a local shop (or local geek) build it for you.

2 minutes ago, zaphod said:

Most BIOS settings (or now UEFI) allow you to set a power restore option to On, Off or Last State.  I would recommend using a UPS so that this is rarely an issue.

Yes, it's common, but not ubiquitous.

We don't know the purpose yet. I suspect that all the OP needs is a VPN to the home network and may not really need a cpu in the rack.

4 minutes ago, zaphod said:

Most BIOS settings (or now UEFI) allow you to set a power restore option to On, Off or Last State.  I would recommend using a UPS so that this is rarely an issue.

my BIOS settings didnt allow for a reboot if there was a graceful shutdown - aka attached to a UPS.  so if i was out on vacation, had a power issue and my UPS ran out of battery and a few hours later my power was restored, the PC would not reboot.  I tested it a few ways.  so though it is on a UPS I do not have it on auto shutdown with the UPS.  just food for thought.

Just now, eggzlot said:

my BIOS settings didnt allow for a reboot if there was a graceful shutdown - aka attached to a UPS.  so if i was out on vacation, had a power issue and my UPS ran out of battery and a few hours later my power was restored, the PC would not reboot.  I tested it a few ways.  so though it is on a UPS I do not have it on auto shutdown with the UPS.  just food for thought.

Very good point that I hadn't thought of.  Sometimes a graceful shutdown is not so graceful.  After a graceful shutdown you might be able to trick the PC into rebooting with a web controlled power switch by cycling the power.

Hi

Im the original poster 

I’m an A/V Tech and need a PC with Teamviewer so I can remote into the customers location for trooble shooting and any remote changes that require onsite.

in the past I used a macMini but really just need Windows

16 hours ago, lippavisual said:

Intel NUC and power settings all depends on how you configure it. 

+3 Intel NUC

Very low power consumption and heat generation, very HIGH performance.

Think of it as an Wintel "macMini."

Actually you should go with Domotz then, great solution for trouble shooting and allows you to totally log into each device in the network and do things that would save you hundreds of physical visits!

It works with WiFi and Zigbee devices as well!

1 hour ago, Amr said:

Actually you should go with Domotz then, great solution for trouble shooting and allows you to totally log into each device in the network and do things that would save you hundreds of physical visits!

It works with WiFi and Zigbee devices as well!

Domotz looks a lot like the functionality you get with a Unifi Controller including remote access.

6 minutes ago, Amr said:

Well it’s not dependent on any technology and it’s a must to have for large installations, couple that with Fing Box and you have an ultimate solution for your customers 😊

That is a plus for sure...  I'm not sure but I think Ubiquiti charges a fee when used in a business application like discussed above (it's free when for your own system).   The Domotz software looks pretty cool and comprehensive.  

7 minutes ago, ejn1 said:

That is a plus for sure...  I'm not sure but I think Ubiquiti charges a fee when used in a business application like discussed above (it's free when for your own system).   The Domotz software looks pretty cool and comprehensive.  

Yep, it has a dedicated hardware too or you install over your NAS and lately they have a Windows Edition where you can deploy on a Windows machine, in all cases  it’s a on a subscription basis and you can do a lot with it, I mean everything you could imagine, also works with your camera feeds, it’s pretty comprehensive and really one of the best I ever worked with.

I use it for my Home as I use to travel a lot and can remotely make things works and complete a break and fix stuff without anyone doing anything ☺️

A9F7FA8A-EC4E-446C-B1C8-30E2F27EAA32.jpeg

4 minutes ago, Amr said:

Yep, it has a dedicated hardware too or you install over your NAS and lately they have a Windows Edition where you can deploy on a Windows machine, in all cases  it’s a on a subscription basis and you can do a lot with it, I mean everything you could imagine, also works with your camera feeds, it’s pretty comprehensive and really one of the best I ever worked with.

I use it for my Home as I use to travel a lot and can remotely make things works and complete a break and fix stuff without anyone doing anything ☺️

I can see that.   Really cool.   I use my Unifi controller software and Wattbox to manage my remote home network.   And use an LPT2 VPN tunnel into home for PC control also.    I hate monthly fees in perpetuity but I can see how this software is really slick in that setting or for an IT company.

Well they use to have a lifetime option, they killed it for a recurring subscription but added a tons of features

I say it pays for itself, you have a full visibility on you network and you focus on keeping it alive, you know what is a crap hardware and what is not, it helped me to reach out to specific vendors and ask them for a fix and they did respond and things are pretty stable ...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.