C4 Forums | Control4

*Resume* function for listening to Podcast?

I recently put a Treadmill in my Media Room, to help stay in shape especially during Covid 19, as well as the hot/humid southeast weather.  This provides a great opportunity to listen to Podcasts while exercising, but I've run into an obstacle in making this a complete experience.

I added TuneIn to this Room, with free account, and can use the Control4 Interface to find, select, and play whatever Podcast I'm interested in.  This part works great.  It just so happens that my Treadmill has a perfect spot to place my T3 so I can easily Pause/Play, control Volume, other room functions, etc.

The problem is that I'll sometimes listen to a Podcast that is longer than the time I'll be exercising.  So at the next session, I want to be able to resume where I left off.  I can't figure out how this can be done.  There isn't even a progress bar, or forward/reverse controls to hep me navigate.  Just Play and Pause.

I looked at the Snapshot Driver, but its documentation specifically says: "The driver cannot restore the playback of Digital Media streams such as My Music, Tune In or Rhapsody."

I know I can always use my Phone or other device to cast to my system, but I would much prefer to work within the Control4 system, especially since I can place the T3 exactly where I would want it.

Is there some way to get this type of functionality with TuneIn?

Is there another App, Driver, Device, or other way to play Podcasts through Control4 that would provide this functionality?

Thanks.

7 hours ago, Don Cohen said:

The problem is that I'll sometimes listen to a Podcast that is longer than the time I'll be exercising.  So at the next session, I want to be able to resume where I left off.  I can't figure out how this can be done.  There isn't even a progress bar, or forward/reverse controls to hep me navigate.  Just Play and Pause.

Unfortunately, I don't believe there's a way to stop a TuneIn (or other streaming) podcast and resume where you were previously.

I don't think our streaming providers give us the functionality to FFW/REW/Jump to Location in streaming media, or to 'bookmark' where you're currently at to resume...

RyanE

1 hour ago, RyanE said:

Unfortunately, I don't believe there's a way to stop a TuneIn (or other streaming) podcast and resume where you were previously.

I don't think our streaming providers give us the functionality to FFW/REW/Jump to Location in streaming media, or to 'bookmark' where you're currently at to resume...

RyanE

I appreciate the reply, Ryan.  I figured this was the case, but wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking anything.

Of course there are a bunch of other options to accomplish what you want.  I use both the iOS Podcast app to listen to Podcasts and Spotify.  These are initiated on the phone but they can connect to C4 via ShairBridge or Spotify Connect.  You can then control playback on your phone or on your T3, or C4 remote, phone, etc.

1 minute ago, zaphod said:

Of course there are a bunch of other options to accomplish what you want.  I use both the iOS Podcast app to listen to Podcasts and Spotify.  These are initiated on the phone but they can connect to C4 via ShairBridge or Spotify Connect.  You can then control playback on your phone or on your T3, or C4 remote, phone, etc.

Thanks.  I was just exploring those options, actually.

I'm an all Android and PC guy, but do have Roon with PC as my core.  I can simply download the Podcasts I want to my PC, and find/play them with Roon.  It can play content through the Marantz AVR in this room, using Airplay.  I don't have a premium spotify account, so that wouldn't be an option, I don't think.

I'll have to do a little reading, but as you suggested, ShairBridge might be the answer to get this integrated.

Ok, I added ShairBridge, selected my Theater as the default Room, and it connects fine.  As you said, it needs to be initiated on my Phone, but that's not a big deal.

It does give me volume control and Room Off, which is nice.  But is there some way to have Pause and Play via Control4?  I realize I can't forward/reverse, and Roon will remember my 'place' in the Podcast, but being able to Pause/Play would be nice.

1 minute ago, zaphod said:

Not completely sure as I don't use ShairBridge much these days but I thought that the C4 transport controls did work in ShairBridge.  Maybe that depends on the source device?

Thanks for the reply - you could be right.  I'll keep searching see what I can find.  

I haven't found a way to have Pause/Play, Forward/Reverse, Volume Control, Room On/Off all in one interface, so came up with a workable compromise:

I have an older Microsoft Surface 3, about the same size as the T3, and have Roon running on it.  This gives me access to and control of downloaded Podcasts.  I have Bluestacks running on it as well, so have the Control4 Android App available as well.  By appropriately sizing and placing both of these apps, I have quick touchscreen access to all of these functions.  The attached screen capture shows this.

Not as 'clean' as a single interface with all of this functionality, but should readily serve the same function.

Screenshot 2020-07-17 11.34.38.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.