C4 Forums | Control4

HBO Max Mini App coming?

Time2Jet

12 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

C4 can't write a mini app until Roku allows the channel...

Wasn't necessarily looking for Roku mini app Mitch.  Love to have it, but was interested in what's there and available now (Samsung/Xbox etc.).  HBO seems to be an app used a lot around this house. 😕

• 4 months later...
12 hours ago, BuddyC said:

I'd love to see it for the Sony TV as well as Roku.  I have both!

If you're talking about using the Sony TV's built-in Apps, this is already possible.  I have a 900E Series Sony, installed the HBO Max app on it, and using the Bravia App Selector Driver, was able to add this to Control4, same as I have done for other Apps I use on this TV (Netflix, Amaxon, Acorn TV, Peacock, Hulu, etc.).

On 12/24/2020 at 1:39 PM, Don Cohen said:

If you're talking about using the Sony TV's built-in Apps, this is already possible.  I have a 900E Series Sony, installed the HBO Max app on it, and using the Bravia App Selector Driver, was able to add this to Control4, same as I have done for other Apps I use on this TV (Netflix, Amaxon, Acorn TV, Peacock, Hulu, etc.).

Does this work for the newer Sony TVs? I have a 950G and the documentation for my installed driver shows it using the universal mini-apps. Luckily all of my Roku HBO Now apps seem to function just like they did before the Max transition, but without the new app logo. My Sony is pretty new and has always had HBO Max. My dealer just put in a generic HBO universal driver that turns on the TV and has control, but doesn't direct it to open the HBO Max app. 

43 minutes ago, rea said:

Does this work for the newer Sony TVs? I have a 950G and the documentation for my installed driver shows it using the universal mini-apps. Luckily all of my Roku HBO Now apps seem to function just like they did before the Max transition, but without the new app logo. My Sony is pretty new and has always had HBO Max. My dealer just put in a generic HBO universal driver that turns on the TV and has control, but doesn't direct it to open the HBO Max app. 

I'm not sure; I guess it depends on what options the 950G Driver offers.  Here is a quote from the Documentation for the 900E Driver:

TV Apps:  This driver includes proxies for the selection and control of the Netflix, Amazon, Vudu, Hulu and Google Play apps. For other TV Apps (YouTube, DirecTV, etc.), select the appropriate Control4 Driver from the online database (YouTube - BRAVIA, DIRECTV - BRAVIA), add them to the project, and make connections from their RF_SONY_TV_APP connection to the TV driver.
Additionally, there is a configurable ‘mini driver’ named 'Bravia App Selector' which can be configured to select any app that is installed on the TV. 
Configuration is performed following these steps:

I also realized that I didn't need a specific HBO Max Driver for the Roku, as I can at least access it with Control4 using the "Roku Channels" option, which lists all of the Apps installed on that Roku device.  Having a specific driver will be a bit more convenient, but at least one doesn't need to wait for that to be able to access HBO Max on a Roku.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.