C4 Forums | Control4

integrating a "dumb" doorbell - wiring

azkid

I have a generic analog doorbell chime that looks like this.  Would a cardacess zca wcs10a-2-zp like this one on ebay work to get doorbell button presses into control4 so I could program off the button push.   Looking for the cheapest way to do this :)

edit- actually just realized the transformer for the doorbell is in the same closet as my EA3.  There are 3 separate ethernet cables coming into the transformer all in the closet.  The first (top in photo) is labeled button and the other two are labeled chimes which are placed throughout the house.  Can I just wire directly from the transformer to the EA3 to trigger the doorbell?

The photo is kinda hard to see but the button white wire is going to the transformer.  The button blue wire is going into the white connector that is attached to the two chimes white wires.  The chimes blue wires are the two going into the transformer.   As mentioned the EA3 is just a few feet away so if it is possible I'd love to know which of these wires I could attach to the EA inputs to get the doorbell integrated.   

Thanks in advance!

725C7B23-7700-43AA-BF32-2AA9B670612A.thumb.jpeg.189857f259e1ee78b73750f974f9548d.jpeg

Add a contact to the chime and wire it directly back to the controller.  When the door button closes the relay at the chime, the chime then energizes the coils, which in turn closes the door contact.  Add programming for when chime contact closes and off to the races.

ok so I bought this reed switch from amazon.  I just tried to hook it up with one wire going to COM (top left) and one to NC (top middle) on my EA3 relay.  When i open and close the switch the relay (EA3) doesn't register anything.... Does it need to be plugged into something else to get power or something?  Also not sure if I need to change any of the settings on the generic relay, such as pluse vs toggle or anything like that?

On 7/29/2020 at 2:54 AM, lippavisual said:

Add a contact to the chime and wire it directly back to the controller.  When the door button closes the relay at the chime, the chime then energizes the coils, which in turn closes the door contact.  Add programming for when chime contact closes and off to the races.

Is there a particular reason for adding in a contact?
Would it be possible to simply piggyback on the output to the chime by running wires to the SIG and GND given voltage is already supplied externally?

Cheers.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.