C4 Forums | Control4

Smart Shower - C4 Control?

Due to a long running slow water leak, it's time for a new shower in my master bedroom. 

I'm interpreting this as a sign from the shower gods - I need a smart shower! :)

There seem to be two on the Market: 

1. Moen U. Seems like the Controler + 4 way Valve will be ~$1k. 
  2. Kohler DTV. Seems like the Controller + Value + Wall-Thingie will be ~$3k. 

Both have the "Use your voice, use our app, use Alexa / Siri". 

Is there a Control4 integration for either of these? I don't rightfully know what I would do with a C4 integrated shower, but seems only reasonable to find out.

There doesn't seem to be an actual published API for either, which seems a bit silly. There are some half-baked ones on Github, but that's it. 

I found this C4 forum post where @PenguinOpus is triggering via Relays. I would be fine with this, as I've got an EA3 in that same closet and could easily hookup the relays. I've never integrated relays before, but would be game to try if someone had some basic instructions. 

To add a bit more here, the Kohler seems like it'll respond to basic HTTP JSON Requests. 

This Python library seems to indicate this would be pretty easy to adapt to C4 via a simple HTTP "Call this URL" pattern tied to a button. Given that the API appears to just be "HTTP GET" requests, this seems it would be trivial. If anyone can try this, it would be great - I don't have the hardware to validate. 

https://github.com/niemyjski/kohler-python/tree/master/kohler

@Jonny Cross I'm open to something like Steamist (<Pause. Checks web site>). When I go to their website and spec it out, I end up around $7k for 3 water zones and a steam shower.

I don't see how to configure w/o the steam generator and can't tell if it's required. I'm also not super-excited about $1350 for a screen, especially as I also need a C4 screen (or keypad) outside the shower to turn it on. 

image.thumb.png.de3d912f6fc5c48381f96c5e1325aaf6.png

Though expensive screens are under 1k.  Parts are cheaper from websites vs going straight through steamist 

https://www.build.com/steamist-sauna-systems/c89734?term=steamist

the generator alone is over $1k cheaper vs the price direct from the manufacture.  you can get that $7k down quickly.  You can also likely use the 450 series screen for about $476.

On 7/28/2020 at 9:36 PM, ChrisM said:

Is there a Control4 integration for either of these? I don't rightfully know what I would do with a C4 integrated shower, but seems only reasonable to find out.

I am totally onside with that point of view!

For me there is one minor benefit - my Master Bedroom is on the second floor and my tankless gas water heater is in the basement.  From the time I turn on my shower it takes about a minute until I have hot water in the shower due to the length of the pipe run, plus the startup of the water heater.  It would be nice to be able to start the shower with voice commands before getting into the shower.

You can use virtual buttons w amazon and get moen u to turn on w c4.

Can you explain in more detail how that would work? Do you have to initiate via Amazon device like an echo? Or could you initiate through a control4 device without actually seeing any Amazon device. Perhaps using Alexa backend only?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.