C4 Forums | Control4

Chowmain - Lightwave RF Driver

alanchow

Chowmain%20Logo%20Transparent%20Medium.png

Chowmain - Lightwave RF Driver for Control4

Over the last decade, Lightwave has helped pioneer a revolution in home heating, lighting and power control: the ‘smart home’. Just a few years ago, the idea that your home could be enhanced by smartphone apps or voice control may have seemed out of reach, but with Lightwave it is here today.

Lightwave devices look smart and act smart. Behind the sleek exterior, built-in wireless technology allows all of our devices to communicate, via the Lightwave Link Plus hub

Lightwave is a modular system, so you can start with just a single device, or control a whole appartment suite. All you need to get started is their smart hub: the Link Plus

Lightwave is simple to install as it is based on ‘retrofit’ technology which uses the same wiring and backboxes as standard fittings. Once installed, dimmers and sockets can be operated using traditional manual buttons as well as bi-directional control through Control4 using the Chowmain Lightwave driver.  

Driver Features

FAQ

Why is this product so exciting?

Lightwave provides some pretty unique devices for the UK and EU markets. For example they have recessed in-wall outlets with both EU and UK plugs. It also provides wireless battery operated raditator valve control as well. See brochure below for information about Lightwave products.

Brochure & Cases Studies PDF Download

How does Lightwave Work?

Lightwave utilises proprietary RF to communicate between their devices. The Lightwave Link Plus hub allows communiction of their devices with the outside world. Lightwave provided us with some training slides that help explain the fundamentals of their product.

Lightwave Pro PDF Download

Does this driver work with v1 devices?
The Link Plus hub integrates the v1 devices and as such our driver works with the v1 devices. The driver does not integrate the older hub.

Is there anything we need to be made aware of?

• The driver requires internet connectivity for control as it communicates via the Lightwave RF cloud servers.

How do i become a Lightwave recommended installer?

Lightwave's established network of PRO installers are experts on how to install and configure Lightwave products. If you are a qualified electrician who is looking to broaden your home automation offering, you can sign up for the next free training webinar and be eligible to become a Lightwave PRO.

See PDF for more information

Where can i buy this product from?

You can purchase lightwave from the following retailers

EU / DUBAI

UK

• Apple Store

• Amazon

• John Lewis

• Currys PC World

• ScrewFix

• Costco

• BT Shop

• B&Q

• Wickes

• Selfridges & Co

• Stormfront

• Robert Dyas

• ao.com

• Lightwave

You can also purchase the product from the following UK wholesalers

• CEF

• Rexel

• Edmundson

• Electric Center

• Medlock

Alternatively you can search for your local stockist

I want to try this driver out before buying it?
All Chowmain drivers for Control4 come with a 90 day trial.  Just add the driverCentral licencing driver and this driver and you're good to go.  No registration required.

outlets.png

lighting.png

radiator valve.png

GPO-UK-WHITE.png

GPO-EU-SILVER.png

LIGHTING-3G-WHITE.png

LIGHTING-4G-SILVER.png

THERMOSTAT-LW921.jpg

VALVE-HONEYWELL.jpg

VALVE-LW922.jpg

I've done a lot of projects with the gen1 kit and the old EV drivier.  Great to see I can finally offer gen2 integration. The gen1 had lack of 2way feedback and reliability issues, from what I've installed so far the new stuff seems to have resolved both those issues. Also - even more of a bonus is the TRVs. Nice one Alan 👍

12 hours ago, 3D - Benn said:

I've done a lot of projects with the gen1 kit and the old EV drivier.  Great to see I can finally offer gen2 integration. The gen1 had lack of 2way feedback and reliability issues, from what I've installed so far the new stuff seems to have resolved both those issues. Also - even more of a bonus is the TRVs. Nice one Alan 👍

I agree.  The power points and radiator valves are really exciting as there arn't any great solutions for this in Control4!

We've worked hard with the Lightwave guys on this and from our tests it works really well.

I'm actually really surprised at how affordable and accessible their products are as well.  This is definately a great retrofit lighting/power/hvac solution for UK and EU customers.

1 hour ago, tdougray said:

Alan are the magnetic trigger sensors supported with this driver?

Unfortunately not.  At present we have to poll for feedback.  As such we don't get status for upto 30 seconds.

We have requested that the lightwave guys upgrade their API to provide us with instant feedback.  If this happens we will of course upgrade the driver to suit.

They seem pretty invested so i'm sure something will happen at some point.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/1/2020 at 6:40 PM, tdougray said:

Alan are the magnetic trigger sensors supported with this driver?

UPDATE

This has now been integrated.  Considering the magnetic triggers are battery operated it works really well.

Think this is great for places where you can’t run cable

• 2 years later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.