C4 Forums | Control4

RGBW Lighting - DMX

Autosean

On 10/21/2020 at 9:45 PM, Dr Noisewater said:

I am currently using the Domaudeos Dmx driver along with the engineering solutions box. I used RGBWW strips so that I could have a warm white and also a separate 6000k white all above 90 +/- CRI.  With the DMX control, you can really dial it in.  I did all the wiring and installation and learned a ton along the way. Each zone gets a Dmx decoder, Meanwell 24v power supply, and a run of 18/6 out to the strips. Sometimes you have to run a few separate 18/6 runs to eliminate voltage drop if your going out a ways.  All of it works awesome in C4. I have seperate color sliders for each zone/room now. If you have any questions I would be more then happy to help where I can. 

Sowilo Design Services, Ltd. – Sowilo DS - Google .png

55648975215__B6A8FA79-9EFF-4AAF-B7C5-1E5E677C5A29.jpeg

IMG_9240.jpg

Wow - those are some great setups!   I have a few questions, but first some info:

1. Obviously the default choice for the DMX controller is the ES device.
  2. Meanwell 24V Power Supply
  3. I'm probably going to use this decoder:  https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B075FHJM35/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_2?smid=A2P8OYELLY8086&psc=1
  4. I have 4 remote locations (Full Table Below)
  5. I ran 18/6 cable to a few locations from a central point (Up to 12m)

Ideally I would like to use RGBWW for all lighting locations (as you've suggested), but I'm concerned that the voltage drop would be too much given the length of these runs, and the LED strips needed....   So I'm considering compromising the LED strips to lower wattage, using RGBW (Instead of RGBWW) but not sure if I actually need to......   

I'd really appreciate your professional opinion on whether given using 18/6, the length of the cable to the cabinet, and the length of LED strip.  What wattage would you be using? (Table Below with the additional details)

Even better, exactly what model LED strips would you recommend using?

Location 1 Location 2 Location 3 Location 4
Length of LED Strip Required (m) 3m 6m 2 x 8m 8m
18AWG Cable Run Length (m)
(To Start of LED Strip)
5m 5m 10m 12m
Desired Watts (Limited by Max Current of 18AWG Feed Wire 14.4 Watts/m 14.4 Watts/m 7.2 Watts/m 7.2 Watts/m
LED Type Warm White Warm White RGBW RGBW
LED Voltage 24V 24V 24V 24V
Usage Kitchen Under Counter Kitchen Under Counter Mood Lighting Mood Lighting

8 minutes ago, RobbieF said:

I ripped several of those out, don't advise them.

8 minutes ago, RobbieF said:

but I'm concerned that the voltage drop would be too much given the length of these runs,

Won't really matter as you're not using all of them at the same time - each colour uses it's own negative return.

With your setup I'd strongly recommend using individual decoders for each of the 4 sets (you can set decoders to the same address so they function as one, which you cant do with one big decoder like the one you linked, on top of issues I've seen)

36 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

I ripped several of those out, don't advise them.

Won't really matter as you're not using all of them at the same time - each colour uses it's own negative return.

With your setup I'd strongly recommend using individual decoders for each of the 4 sets (you can set decoders to the same address so they function as one, which you cant do with one big decoder like the one you linked, on top of issues I've seen)

Thanks for the response.  All the lights are in separate areas, so I'm assuming I would want them set as separate addresses.  I see these are popular; PX24500 RGB DMX Decoder - You agree?

Can't comment overly much, we get our decoders through pro channels so I can't really say yay or nay on amazon pieces, but what we use is similar to these options:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nrpfell-Digital-Controller-Connection-Dc12-24V-black/dp/B07VVDP7N4/ref=sr_1_18?dchild=1&keywords=dmx+decoder&qid=1603494151&sr=8-18

https://www.amazon.co.uk/GIDERWEL-Channel-Decoder-Controller-12V-24V/dp/B07HMSRYS7/ref=sr_1_12?dchild=1&keywords=dmx+decoder&qid=1603494151&sr=8-12

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Semoic-Decoder-Driver-Controller-12V-24V-black/dp/B07QDS319H/ref=sr_1_29?dchild=1&keywords=dmx+decoder&qid=1603494219&sr=8-29

For singles at least. Other advantage of singles (as you'd only need about 4 in your case) is that if they're inconsistent, if one fails, all you need to do is replace the one....

Indeed in my own house the first link is identical to what I use (though I didn't order from Amazon) and they work fine.

Of course if you're looking at rgb+ dual white, you may need to find a different alternate.

If we have very large setups we do use larger decoders (in fact they're often decoders and transformers in one), but we go with some pretty hefty options (as a dealer we also need to be able to warranty and thus stand behind the product) that you're not likely to see on something like Amazon.

DMX is simple Cy.  You’re overthinking it, which you should, since you’re an installer.  Most applications are simple strip lighting that can be controlled by IR with the kits online.

Extravagant setups definitely need more planning, but from what is asked here, not needed.

18 AWG wiring is plenty big enough for most residential installs.  Done plenty of 6-8K square foot homes all using 18 with no voltage drop. 

On 10/24/2020 at 9:30 AM, lippavisual said:

DMX is simple Cy.  You’re overthinking it, which you should, since you’re an installer.  Most applications are simple strip lighting that can be controlled by IR with the kits online.

Extravagant setups definitely need more planning, but from what is asked here, not needed.

18 AWG wiring is plenty big enough for most residential installs.  Done plenty of 6-8K square foot homes all using 18 with no voltage drop. 

DMX = NOT IR controlled kits.

Oh and yes I never claimed more than 18awg is needed.

• 1 year later...

Loving all this activity about DMX. Seems the pro way of doing things, and especially intriguing given we can likely control any type of strip from white, CCT, RGBW, RGBWW, and any combination, all off a dmx led controlled linked back to the DMX Engine. 

I’ve been struggling trying to figure out how to get wireless runs since I don’t like have Ethernet back to the DMX engine in every zone I want to run, and I have a few additional questions I’m hoping to get some guidance on:

Couple of questions for those experienced with this:

1) the Domaudeo driver manual shows the controllers running in series out to various zones. Can one just use a switch and send Ethernet to zones in parallel? I assume so, but new so I better ask. 

2) is there any wireless / Wi-Fi options out there to get the DMX engine data out to a DMX controller that is too remote / hard to wire directly via Ethernet?

3) is my assumption correct that any combination of strip types can be controlled using this method? Mix and match different strips, just address them properly via DMX?

The Domaudeo DMX drivers are really full featured - especially for CCT/tunable white, which is great. With that being said, I'm still experiencing issues with random "flickering" that I have not yet been able to resolve.  I've replaced nearly everything at this point.  Some others are also experiencing similar flickering.

I don't think you can use an ethernet switch to distribute DMX.  I could be wrong.

There are numerous "wireless" DMX decoders that you can use if you need.  Some are discussed on this forum.

Yes - any combination of strips can be used.  A 5channel decoder can support anything up to RGBWW (5 channels).  A 5 channel decoder could also drive 5 single color strips.

• 1 month later...
On 1/31/2022 at 9:38 AM, LollerAgent said:

The Domaudeo DMX drivers are really full featured - especially for CCT/tunable white, which is great. With that being said, I'm still experiencing issues with random "flickering" that I have not yet been able to resolve.  I've replaced nearly everything at this point.  Some others are also experiencing similar flickering.

I don't think you can use an ethernet switch to distribute DMX.  I could be wrong.

There are numerous "wireless" DMX decoders that you can use if you need.  Some are discussed on this forum.

Yes - any combination of strips can be used.  A 5channel decoder can support anything up to RGBWW (5 channels).  A 5 channel decoder could also drive 5 single color strips.

"Flickering is most likely caused by the decoder that can't handle fast DMX datarate. There is a setting in the DMX Engine that can switch to "Slow" and thus fix the Flickering issue. This setting is already present in the Engine but I will make it easily toglable within C4 in the next version.

7 minutes ago, jackstone said:

"Flickering is most likely caused by the decoder that can't handle fast DMX datarate. There is a setting in the DMX Engine that can switch to "Slow" and thus fix the Flickering issue. This setting is already present in the Engine but I will make it easily toglable within C4 in the next version.

In my case, the flickering was fixed by using better decoders.   Once I switched from cheap Amazon decoders to the Environmental Lighting Studio 24 decoder, all of my flickering stopped.  

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.