C4 Forums | Control4

LG IP Driver

Having issues with a new LG CX series IP Control. No issues with 90% of the control other than turning the set back on from Room Off. Which “sometimes” works.

Went through driver setup and feel I did everything correctly. And it seemed fine, but now it’s acting up.

Settings:

-Wired & Wireless set to On (odd, but I believe correct”

-SDDP on

-IP Control on

-WOL on

*CEC is set to on. Which seems odd, but for some reason I didn’t read to turn it off when setting up the driver. I know anytime I’ve had mysterious IP control issues, CEC was the issue.

First LG, so any ideas are appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've experienced this on several occasions with the C4 database LG IP drivers. It would seem that if the Tv was left in standby for a longer period of time then it would not respond to WoL commands from driver.

We now have gone back to only using the Annex4 WebOS driver for LG TVs as they have been rock solid since I started using them before C4 even had their own IP drivers for LG TVs.

I've experienced this on several occasions with the C4 database LG IP drivers. It would seem that if the Tv was left in standby for a longer period of time then it would not respond to WoL commands from driver.
We now have gone back to only using the Annex4 WebOS driver for LG TVs as they have been rock solid since I started using them before C4 even had their own IP drivers for LG TVs.

Don’t have any sort of ECO modes on. This morning it worked like a charm. This afternoon it won’t turn on. It’s got to be the WOL.

1 minute ago, msgreenf said:

And you have like the wifi mac but your controlling it via ethernet?

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Both MACs are in the Driver Properties.  It was ID'd via SDDP.  It's set up for ethernet control, but you have to have WiFi turned on as well.  CEC is on.  Just really goes against a lot I learned.

1 minute ago, msgreenf said:

Cec is on? That is probably your problem. Cec should be off

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

I do know that, but somewhere in the driver setup process it gets turned on.  This really went against everything I know.  I'm turning it off and will report back here.  

On a few jobs with these, I ended up just adding a second 'dummy' copy of the same driver and binding the IR output to it. I then just added in programming that when the IP controlled TV was turned on the IR controlled 'dummy' TV was to be turned on. That way it used IR to turn the TV on, but otherwise it was controlled via IP.

That’s pretty interesting. If you went to that extent, what would you be missing to go all IR?

Last night it worked. This morning it didn’t. Sometimes, it’ll hang for a full 2 minutes then turn on. Turns on fine via Alexa skill. Have to see which skill it’s using, C4 or LG.

On 8/17/2020 at 1:22 PM, time2jet said:

That’s pretty interesting. If you went to that extent, what would you be missing to go all IR?

Last night it worked. This morning it didn’t. Sometimes, it’ll hang for a full 2 minutes then turn on. Turns on fine via Alexa skill. Have to see which skill it’s using, C4 or LG.

If you go all IR, then you will lose mini app capabilities and instant access to the streaming apps those mini drivers are for, also general control will be slightly laggy in comparison to IP control. Also you will lose discrete volume control, so if you use the TV's own speakers you will not be able to jump straight to a particular volume level.

1 hour ago, Crustyloafer said:

If you go all IR, then you will lose mini app capabilities and instant access to the streaming apps those mini drivers are for, also general control will be slightly laggy in comparison to IP control. Also you will lose discrete volume control, so if you use the TV's own speakers you will not be able to jump straight to a particular volume level.

Right. This is very frustrating with a certified driver.  Before I do the IR, I am going to try the Annex4 driver.  IR is obviously a lot cheaper and sounds like it's a good solution. The Annex4 driver does add a lot however.

Interesting, sounds similar to the Samsung IP drivers which once put into standby, will not accept a power on command until after 1-2 mins have expired.

Exactly [mention]Crustyloafer [/mention] only less predictable than the Samsung issue. At least you can explain what to expect to a client. This one is a complete disaster and our techs told me they have encountered the same, but it was ALWAYS a MAC issue. This one is not a MAC issue. It’s really frustrating. Not sure there’s another word for it.

• 3 months later...
On 8/17/2020 at 2:33 AM, Crustyloafer said:

On a few jobs with these, I ended up just adding a second 'dummy' copy of the same driver and binding the IR output to it. I then just added in programming that when the IP controlled TV was turned on the IR controlled 'dummy' TV was to be turned on. That way it used IR to turn the TV on, but otherwise it was controlled via IP.

@Crustyloafer Should I have a second version of the native LG CX driver for this?  With only 1, I have IR bound from the loca EA and I can't even get it to flash.  Any tricks will be greatly appreciated. 

42 minutes ago, time2jet said:

@Crustyloafer Should I have a second version of the native LG CX driver for this?  With only 1, I have IR bound from the loca EA and I can't even get it to flash.  Any tricks will be greatly appreciated. 

Yes, just add a second copy of same driver to project, obviously no need to bind/identify via IP as you are controlling via IR, just bind the IR output from the controller to its IR input.

Then in programming I just configure that when 'IP Controlled TV' turns on then turn on 'IR Controlled TV'. 

52 minutes ago, Crustyloafer said:

Yes, just add a second copy of same driver to project, obviously no need to bind/identify via IP as you are controlling via IR, just bind the IR output from the controller to its IR input.

Then in programming I just configure that when 'IP Controlled TV' turns on then turn on 'IR Controlled TV'. 

I have time today to test it.  Sounds like a perfect solution.

24 minutes ago, time2jet said:

So I am binding the IR out from the controller to the new LG Driver? or the display?

From controller IR our to the dummy IR copy of driver. No other bindings needed at all.

Then in Programming tell it to turn on IR one when IP one turns on. IP one can remain as primary driver and video endpoint for the room.

7 minutes ago, Crustyloafer said:

From controller IR our to the dummy IR copy of driver. No other bindings needed at all.

Then in Programming tell it to turn on IR one when IP one turns on. IP one can remain as primary driver and video endpoint for the room.

I'm not getting any flashing.  No binding to the actual real (IP) driver IR?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.