C4 Forums | Control4

Sliders - Mind of their own / moving themselves ?

We've an issue where sliders (On IOS App, GlassEdge, etc.) occasionally don't like what we set them to and move themselves to another setting. For instance, on my phone I'll slide the slider for Range Hood Speed to 64 and it will go there briefly, for a few milliseconds, and then move to some other setting like 45.  Sometimes it will go up and down a bit before deciding where it wants to be.  It happens fairly consistently w/ Groups in LIFX and sporadically w/ other sliders.

Is this a known issue (I couldn't find anything when searching)?  Fix for it?

Thanks,

• 3 weeks later...

Agreed looks like it's getting the command the light isn't doing the command so it's setting the value on the screen to match the light's current value. Also consider is there any programming, a scene or something that's staying active or reactivating. Had that issue with some lights trying to turn on and they turned off realized it was an issue I created. 

• 3 months later...

@msgreenf & @Neo1738, can you explain more.

Central EA-5, two T3's, panel mounted C4 Dim-8's, keypads, etc are all Ethernet on the same very lightly loaded Unifi Switch Pro 48. 

Seemingly this s/b about as simple a routine as I can imagine; slider signals EA-5 via ethernet, EA-5 signals dimmer via their own C4 driver & ethernet, status back to EA-5, status back to T3. 

On Friday we had this happen with an audio slider. We had a session w/ 7 zones on it. I'd turned it down for a zoom call and when I was turning it back up  to 20% it jumped up to 100% on its own. Three times I pulled it down and it jumped back to 100.

Thanks,

You've talked about your wife's network being involved in this system as well.  Are you sure her stuff isn't stomping all over broadcasts?  Just because it was her IT group that set it up, doesn't mean that they didn't do it properly.

In my 21 years of IT/CI work, I have met plenty who think they know all and never make mistakes.  Nothing is to be ruled out when it comes to networking.

On 9/13/2020 at 12:15 PM, TundraSonic said:

We are still having problems with this (I'm unsure if this is in any way related to the issues of inconsistent execution in my other post).  Most recently on the T3 in our master bedroom. We've also seen it sporadically on various other things.

network issues

Thanks. Yes, this could certainly be the case if it goes back to its previous state (or possibly even if it goes to an intermediary state). However, if the previous state is 0, the user moves the slider to 20%, C4 moves briefly to 20% but then jumps to 74% or 100%, which we've seen several times, that doesn't seem network related?

On 12/27/2020 at 6:12 PM, msgreenf said:

Every problem you describe points to the network as a problem. Are you blocking broadcast traffic? That is a unifi default. You need broadcast traffic for c4 to work properly

I don't think this is necessarily true anymore...  Within the newest stable version Broadcast Blocking is managed by Auto-Optimization if enabled.  I'm currently using Auto-Optimize within my environment and have zero C4 network issues.  Granted completely understanding this specific issue is not my strong suite, I just generally know I run a fairly stock Unifi set-up and have no C4 issues or network issues in general.  

I would however agree that the behavior exhibited in the video appears to be network, driver, or device related.  

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.