C4 Forums | Control4

Control4 Keypad

Hasnat

Obviously the style side of it is somewhat personal, but I agree with the OP. Having sold multiple lighting lines simultaneously, I'd often be asked for Lutron controls based on aesthetics alone. If I didn't have Lutron in my portfolio I would have lost the bids. At the end of the day, the homeowner often only cares about the few pieces of the system they interact with, so keypads, touchscreens, and remotes play an outsize role in system selection.

And while I don't care for Vantage as a system, the website image doesn't do the keypads justice. The fit and finish are really nice. 

My personal issue with Control4 lighting keypads is their tendency to break when switching key caps and the poor quality of backlight. All of them seem to age to a sickly yellow/green hue and the lighting is often uneven. Just in terms of fit and Finish I haven't experienced anything worse than Control4.

30 minutes ago, CTMatthew said:

Obviously the style side of it is somewhat personal, but I agree with the OP. Having sold multiple lighting lines simultaneously, I'd often be asked for Lutron controls based on aesthetics alone. If I didn't have Lutron in my portfolio I would have lost the bids. At the end of the day, the homeowner often only cares about the few pieces of the system they interact with, so keypads, touchscreens, and remotes play an outsize role in system selection.

And while I don't care for Vantage as a system, the website image doesn't do the keypads justice. The fit and finish are really nice. 

My personal issue with Control4 lighting keypads is their tendency to break when switching key caps and the poor quality of backlight. All of them seem to age to a sickly yellow/green hue and the lighting is often uneven. Just in terms of fit and Finish I haven't experienced anything worse than Control4.

I'll agree on the backlighting - given it as a "selling point" it is a very poor implementation.  

my biggest gripe with current Gen C4 hardware (DS1 was another issue onto itself but has been retired)

6 hours ago, CTMatthew said:

My personal issue with Control4 lighting keypads is their tendency to break when switching key caps

In my experience, it’s the batch of keypads.  In my own home I replaced key caps on 25 keypads and about 12 or more keypads tabs broke off. Especially on the bottom. Last week we replaced engraved key caps on 35 keypads and not a single break anywhere. 

Batch can certainly make a difference, but it's also how you do it.

I'm well aware and am not contesting that they are more fragile than I like, but we've HUNDREDS of keypads (times however many buttons is the average) and have under 10 total keypad tabs break.

It needs to be done carefully and slowly (and believe me I wish it wasn't that slowly)

On 9/4/2020 at 9:02 PM, Cyknight said:

The current ones?

I'm not saying there aren't more fancy ones out there, but I doubt anyone would lose a job over just keypads...

Sounds like a job lost to a builder/designer under the EXCUSE of the keypads.

Mind you you're not as such locked into C4 keypads...

https://www.vitrea-sh.com/serie/vt-plus/

These Vitrea V Touch Pro look impressive - has anyone tried them?  I see they have a version that's a Crestron Connected version that doesn't require a plug in gateway, wonder if there's a C4 version in the works, other the V Touch Pro says it will universally work with C4.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.