C4 Forums | Control4

Bad image quality and no video from Lilin cameras+NVR

Ever since the update to 3.x, I have had a tough time getting the cameras to output decent quality image/video to the C4 iOS app. The same setup, with no changes, sends great output to the NetViewer iOS app. Things used to be ok when director was on v 2.1x. At present, I am on the latest version of C4, both on director and on iOS.

Equipment:

• Cameras: Lilin AHD844AX4.2
  • NVR: Lilin DHD508A
  • Driver for NVR: LILIN DHD RECORDER DRIVER v1.1.6
  • Driver for Cams: NDVR v1.1.6

When I load up the cameras in the iOS app (cameras in grid view), all I see is a static image from the camera (no live video feed), which I am assuming is normal. However, when I click into a particular camera, I don't get a video feed, I just get a blank screen and then after a few minutes, the same static image shows up. My dealer has given up.

Since the NetViewer app works fine and is able to show high quality images and videos, I am assuming this is a C4 config issue and not a hardware/wiring issue.

Any clues?

The camera settings in Composer Pro are shown in the attached image. No matter what I set the resolutions to, there's no change to the output on the app. The problem remains.

Also, the end point for the "Get Snapshot URL" and "Get MJPEG URL" are the same. Is that the way it is supposed to be? When I "test" the MJPEG stream, the framerate is 1 fps, which is also not normal (I think).

2.png

1.png

2 hours ago, lippavisual said:

You need to make sure your camera settings on the camera itself are changed or set to what's required.  Then you put in the right settings in the camera drivers.

Where would I find/change camera settings directly? Is there an app or interface of some kind or is it done through the NVR?

1 hour ago, lippavisual said:

By typing the IP address of the camera into a web browser or going into the config of the NVR.  Not familiar with Lilin, but should be the same as any other system.

If your cameras plug directly into the NVR then you need to access the NVR.

The cameras don't have IP addresses as they are not IP-based but the NVR does. The NVR settings show the cameras to be 1920x1080 resolution, however C4 only sees them 640x480. Which is not only incorrect but it is also the wrong ratio. No matter what value I put instead of 640x480 in the composer pro camera settings, it reverts back to 640x480 when I click out and back in. Where do I change the resolution in composer? Extremely frustrating.

10 minutes ago, South Africa C4 user said:

Do the cameras work fine on T3 Touchscreens?

I do get the video stream on the touchscreens, which is even more confusing to me. But despite the fact that they show up on the touchscreens, the quality is a pathetic 320x240 which makes it pixelated and not really useful. On the Netviewer app, everything is crystal clear and in HD.

3 minutes ago, James McKernan said:

I do get the video stream on the touchscreens, which is even more confusing to me. But despite the fact that they show up on the touchscreens, the quality is a pathetic 320x240 which makes it pixelated and not really useful. On the Netviewer app, everything is crystal clear and in HD.

I’ve got the exact same problem.  My dealer has not been able to sort it and C4 is also looking at it for me.  If I get it fixed, I’ll let you know.

Just now, South Africa C4 user said:

I’ve got the exact same problem.  My dealer has not been able to sort it and C4 is also looking at it for me.  If I get it fixed, I’ll let you know.

Wow, that just sucks. Thanks for sharing.

In case anyone else is searching for the same info, here's what I got back from Lilin support. Looks like Control4 and Lilin are still working out the kinks for this integration.

Thank you for reaching LILIN Technical Support -- We appreciate you contacting us for support regarding our products. We understand that time is valuable to you and we will do our best to provide you a response regarding your request.

The current DHD/AHD drivers only support the MJPEG(low resolution) streams in the Control4 enviornment. They drivers can be found in the link below.

DHD (Ver. 1.1.6):
https://www.meritlilin.com/assets/uploads/support/file/CI-Control4_c4z_DHD_driver-EN.zip
AHD Camera (Ver. 1.1.4)
https://www.meritlilin.com/assets/uploads/support/file/CI-Control4_c4z_DHD_access_driver-EN.zip

If you would like to access the cameras through a mobile device, the NetViewer app can be used to connect to DHD.

Google Play Store:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=remote.iWatchDVR.Netviewer
Apple App Store:
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/netviewer/id995853066

• 8 months later...
33 minutes ago, James McKernan said:

@South Africa C4 user Did you ever get this resolved?

James, camera integration in Control4 is very stable at this moment. The fact that your dealer “gave up” should tell you a lot about how your system is designed/programmed. Looking at your screenshots from last year, you are using Mjpeg feeds and that is one of the issues. You should be using H.264 feeds. The other reason why the camera app looks good and Control4 looks terrible is because the camera app is pulling your main stream, where Control4 is usually using the sub-stream. To improve the quality in the Control4 app, login to your NVR web interface and adjust the sub-stream setting to improve the quality. Usually VGA resolution, 15 FPS, and an adequate bit rate. 
If your cameras are connected to a switch and not to the NVR and you have T4s, then the camera experience becomes 1000 times better. You can use the third stream in the cameras to be used by Control4. 720p, 25fps, and 2048Kbps are my usual settings. Quality looks great in both the T4s and the Mobile app. FYI, T4s support full 1080p without breaking a sweat. 
Anyways, as I mentioned, you should be able to view your cameras in the C4 with no issues. You just need someone to setup up for you. Also, I would recommend using the Generic Camera driver for better flexibility and bullet proof integration. Last but not least, Lilin is junk. 

8 minutes ago, eddy.trochez said:

James, camera integration in Control4 is very stable at this moment. The fact that your dealer “gave up” should tell you a lot about how your system is designed/programmed. Looking at your screenshots from last year, you are using Mjpeg feeds and that is one of the issues. You should be using H.264 feeds. The other reason why the camera app looks good and Control4 looks terrible is because the camera app is pulling your main stream, where Control4 is usually using the sub-stream. To improve the quality in the Control4 app, login to your NVR web interface and adjust the sub-stream setting to improve the quality. Usually VGA resolution, 15 FPS, and an adequate bit rate. 
If your cameras are connected to a switch and not to the NVR and you have T4s, then the camera experience becomes 1000 times better. You can use the third stream in the cameras to be used by Control4. 720p, 25fps, and 2048Kbps are my usual settings. Quality looks great in both the T4s and the Mobile app. FYI, T4s support full 1080p without breaking a sweat. 
Anyways, as I mentioned, you should be able to view your cameras in the C4 with no issues. You just need someone to setup up for you. Also, I would recommend using the Generic Camera driver for better flexibility and bullet proof integration. Last but not least, Lilin is junk. 

@eddy.trochez Thanks for the reply. H.264 is grayed out, so i cannot use it or change it. Also, the cameras are not using ethernet cables, they are running off coax. As for the generic drivers, do you have a recommendation?

I have full access to my C4 system and the NVR, so if someone is willing to help remotely, I am glad to pay the requisite fees to get this sorted. 🙂

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/17/2021 at 7:24 AM, James McKernan said:

@eddy.trochez Thanks for the reply. H.264 is grayed out, so i cannot use it or change it. Also, the cameras are not using ethernet cables, they are running off coax. As for the generic drivers, do you have a recommendation?

I have full access to my C4 system and the NVR, so if someone is willing to help remotely, I am glad to pay the requisite fees to get this sorted. 🙂

James, send me an email and I'll see if we can figure this out. jbrown@control4.com or direct message me your email and I'll contact you. Either works for me. 

Thanks

• 7 months later...

My LilinViewer app is literally the worst.  It will work for ~week then it craps out and shows a frozen picture.  I've had someone at the house to fix it multiple times but that is just not sustainable.  Anyone know if there is a workaround for this app or an alternative?  The cameras were $$$$, the app behind them is just super frustrating. Thanks.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.