C4 Forums | Control4

Dimmer switches and LEDS - Electrician Experts ?

dkaleky

I have  2 dimmers switches in room. 

LEDS  are dimmable 

Dimmer 1 -  controls 6 LED's

Dimmer 2   -  2  LEDS

Dimmer 2  -- the LEDS  will not shut completely off

I swapped switches  and put Dimmer 1  to control the 2 LEDS.

Same  issue! 

So  it is not the  switch,

And the 6  LEDS  shut off completely    no matter what dimmer  switch I use.

6 minutes ago, nwanerka said:

ok so on the front of the led dimmer (Take the cover plate off) and you will see a little dial, or adjuster. Put the dimmer in its lowest potion and then use that dial or adjuster until the lights go off. Try that and see if that works

do mine have this  before I take off   LDZ 101    102   ?

will the newest switches  work with my old HC-300  and old software?

Yikes HC-300!? That’s actually amazing that it still works. It’s been a while but i think the minimum version is 2.5 and zigbee pro of course. If you’re at 1.7.4 or below with ember net they will not work.

I don’t work for C4 so not making a sales pitch but you should definitely consider some hardware upgrades if it’s in the budget.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

The only other option stated above is to try to add a Lutron LUT-MLC to the line behind the dimmer and before the lights to see if that will solve it for you...but LEDs didn't even exist when those dimmers were made so they were never designed for that

1. I  have  a fan light,  with  2 small led  bulbs,  and that dims ????

2.  So why will not the newest switches work ?

Dimmers have minimum loads, otherwise the light wont turn off. The earlier dimmers were not designed for LED, the ADP generation dimmers group were. Shipping ADP group has a minimum OS version requirement, not sure what it is currently they were introduced around 2.4, but likely outside of what your hardware can run. Essentials (newest generation of affordable switches) need OS 3.

Find an old switch and give up dimming that circuit
Go back to incandescent bulbs to keep dimmer
Add a load resistor as suggested
Upgrade

18 hours ago, nwanerka said:

ok so on the front of the led dimmer (Take the cover plate off) and you will see a little dial, or adjuster. Put the dimmer in its lowest potion and then use that dial or adjuster until the lights go off. Try that and see if that works

17 hours ago, nwanerka said:

If the dimmer is an led dimmer then yes, every led dimmer has this adjustment on them

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Yeah...maybe ensure your info  is correct. No C4dimmers do not have a dial behind the cover plate.

OP - sounds indeed like you're jsut not reaching the minimum load on those old dimmers - may want to swap them to non-LED in your scenario

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.