C4 Forums | Control4

C4 Widgets in iOS14?

zaphod

It doesn't appear to me that you can add C4 app Widgets to the home screen on the new iOS14.  Am I missing something?

It would be great to be able to add widgets for things like Sessions, or direct links to C4 devices like lights with Widgets.  I hope C4 is working on this.

30 minutes ago, zaphod said:

It doesn't appear to me that you can add C4 app Widgets to the home screen on the new iOS14.  Am I missing something?

It would be great to be able to add widgets for things like Sessions, or direct links to C4 devices like lights with Widgets.  I hope C4 is working on this.

Would love this for garage doors!

51 minutes ago, zaphod said:

Best bet might be to use Varietas' Homebridge app.  You can then add devices to the Home app, and they will show up in your dashboard...I even have the garage showing in CarPlay when I come home.

9 hours ago, ekohn00 said:

Best bet might be to use Varietas' Homebridge app.  You can then add devices to the Home app, and they will show up in your dashboard...I even have the garage showing in CarPlay when I come home.

Wait wait whaaaaaaaaat ? Havent heard of this driver :) when you say from carplay and chance you can post a screen shot?

edit: found the link - http://varietassoftware.com/control4/

The fact they have a raspberry pi image is very nice! The only thing though is they dont show the examples of using it (kinda like how chowmain does with their drivers) hence the request for the screenshot :) just want to see how you have implemented it. Have August locks which also integrate via homebridge

4 hours ago, ILoveControl said:

Wait wait whaaaaaaaaat ? Havent heard of this driver :) when you say from carplay and chance you can post a screen shot?

edit: found the link - http://varietassoftware.com/control4/

The fact they have a raspberry pi image is very nice! The only thing though is they dont show the examples of using it (kinda like how chowmain does with their drivers) hence the request for the screenshot :) just want to see how you have implemented it. Have August locks which also integrate via homebridge

I would also consider Berto. @david@berto.co.uk has been great and helped me get mine set up. I sourced my own pi4 and loaded the software to get gates and garage doors from Control4 into HomeKit. I originally did it to create Apple shortcuts so that I can tell Siri I’m coming home and it opens my gates and garage doors. It works really well. Let me know if you want screenshots. 

6 minutes ago, J to the D said:

I would also consider Berto. @david@berto.co.uk has been great and helped me get mine set up. I sourced my own pi4 and loaded the software to get gates and garage doors from Control4 into HomeKit. I originally did it to create Apple shortcuts so that I can tell Siri I’m coming home and it opens my gates and garage doors. It works really well. Let me know if you want screenshots. 

If you wouldnt mind the screenshots I would appreciate it

1 hour ago, ILoveControl said:

If you wouldnt mind the screenshots I would appreciate it

Screen shots of what? the Varietas Software Driver uses driver to send C$ device data to an App running on Pi. The Pi app then allows apple HomeKit integration of the devices. So any "screen shot" would just show devices on the Home app's screen (lights, doors, etc). You would not see anything on C4.

Here's the control panel on my iPhone.... I have 3 garages, and just fav the one I use.

IMG_0130.jpeg

2 hours ago, zaphod said:

The Homekit devices do show up on the control panel rather than on the widget home screen.  Very much like the screenshot above. What's the difference now between the widget screen and the control panel?

on the iPhone the control panel is accessed with a swipe down from the corner....even if you're in an app.

the widgets are accessible by being on the Home Screen and having to swip all the way to the left.

basically - control panel is easy fast access, limited items on it.

14 hours ago, KWD said:

There is also a Homebridge docker if you have a system that can use them. I have it running on my Unraid server. 

Awesome - I have an unRAID server running a bunch of dockers(Unifi, OpenVPN, SageTV, Filezilla, PiHole, etc) but when I set up Homebridge this wasn't available so I have it running on a Pi.  Can you please post links on how you set this up?

10 hours ago, zaphod said:

Awesome - I have an unRAID server running a bunch of dockers(Unifi, OpenVPN, SageTV, Filezilla, PiHole, etc) but when I set up Homebridge this wasn't available so I have it running on a Pi.  Can you please post links on how you set this up?

Just look up “HomeBridge” and it will will be the with GUI version. I believe I just followed the normal setup for HomeBridge. 

So it turns out that I did have the docker version of Homebridge running but I don't think I every installed the stuff needed for C4. How do I install the C4 npm or whatever it is that I need?  

@Joshua Pressnell - Do you know how to configure a Homebridge docker to use your C4 plugin?  

I am assuming that I have to make some changes to the config.json file but I am not so sure what I should be doing?  There is a sample config.json file here: https://github.com/varietassoftware/homebridge-control4/blob/master/sample-config.json

But it isn't clear to me what I should change to customize this.

20 hours ago, zaphod said:

So it turns out that I did have the docker version of Homebridge running but I don't think I every installed the stuff needed for C4. How do I install the C4 npm or whatever it is that I need?  

@Joshua Pressnell - Do you know how to configure a Homebridge docker to use your C4 plugin?  

I am assuming that I have to make some changes to the config.json file but I am not so sure what I should be doing?  There is a sample config.json file here: https://github.com/varietassoftware/homebridge-control4/blob/master/sample-config.json

But it isn't clear to me what I should change to customize this.

From Homebridge Driver in C4, in Actions -> List Devices, goto Lua, copy the output, past into config editor section in the HomeBridge that is accessible from your NAS, I belive http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:8581/ and HYG.

Thanks.  Got it working, after a bit of futzing about, although things are a bit different on unRAID.

When I was using the Homebridge device on the RPi there appeared to be a max of 75 accessories per Bridge so it created three bridges that each had to be added separately.  Any idea if that is still a limitation?  Do you have more than 75 devices and if so, do you do this?

8 hours ago, zaphod said:

According to this thread on reddit the limit is 150 accessories per bridge.  Therefore that would appear to require running multiple Homebridge dockers.  Alternatively I manually trim the JSON file to have no more than 150 devices.

148 Max

• 1 year later...

This is ridiculous.  I mean cmon Control4, a decade later and dealers are still having to come up with home brew solutions to arguably the coolest c4 features to date.  Deep apple and android integration is a must.  I shouldn’t have to set up an unRAID device or pi just to get widgets and CarPlay control over my devices.  An absolute joke.  Great work techs/dealers, but let’s be honest.  Setting up devices like these are burdensome, potentially open customers up to hacking, and become a lifecycle/maintenance nightmare for the next technician that services the home and knows nothing about unRAID or pi devices.  By cutting corners to make the systems more usable for clients is letting C4 get off easy.  A built in widget should be standard in the app download and homebridge integration is simple enough for WeMo to pull off, but seems ‘beneath’ Control4 to invest any time or money into it.  Crestron appears to be the clear winner decades later.  Shame.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.