C4 Forums | Control4

WAP Placement Ruckus

Time2Jet

Awhile back, I came into a dozen like new, used R720 WAPs. These were salvaged from a Gander Mountain Store that went out of business. We only had them installed there for a month when they called and asked us to buy back the system before closing.

In any event, I am installing 3 of these Ruckus R720 WAPs in a large home for a client tomorrow. He is insisting on two things, both of which are making me uncomfortable.

1. Attic Installation (secured to a truss). It’s Pittsburgh and seasonal temperatures can be pretty brutal. In terms of positioning however, the area is ideal. In our offices, we have several inherited indoor WAP’s in a plenum ceiling and they are fine, but I don’t get the drastic temps.

2. He is also insisting these are directional and should be ceiling mounted. I definitely have ceiling mounted these, but I’ve also wall mounted or lazily sat backside down on top of permanent shelving in my home or our own warehouses.

Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't stress enough how much the orientation makes a difference. You have to visualize a donut of coverage radiating out from the AP. If you mount it vertically you're re-orienting the coverage. This is fine if you're doing it intentionally, but we've "fixed" installations just by reorienting the APs. If you want a wall-mount AP, try the hospitality series. The 2.4Ghz transmit power has been attenuated to roughly match 5Ghz, but this is usually fine as 2.4Ghz is easily oversaturated in many deployments. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/3/2020 at 5:13 PM, time2jet said:

Awhile back, I came into a dozen like new, used R720 WAPs. These were salvaged from a Gander Mountain Store that went out of business. We only had them installed there for a month when they called and asked us to buy back the system before closing.

In any event, I am installing 3 of these Ruckus R720 WAPs in a large home for a client tomorrow. He is insisting on two things, both of which are making me uncomfortable.

1. Attic Installation (secured to a truss). It’s Pittsburgh and seasonal temperatures can be pretty brutal. In terms of positioning however, the area is ideal. In our offices, we have several inherited indoor WAP’s in a plenum ceiling and they are fine, but I don’t get the drastic temps.

2. He is also insisting these are directional and should be ceiling mounted. I definitely have ceiling mounted these, but I’ve also wall mounted or lazily sat backside down on top of permanent shelving in my home or our own warehouses.

Any thoughts?

Pittsburgh weather is fine for WAPs in an attic.  The insulation and drywall in the attic could impact the RF.. but that could be only somewhat important depending on the clients needs. 

Pittsburgh weather is fine for WAPs in an attic.  The insulation and drywall in the attic could impact the RF.. but that could be only somewhat important depending on the clients needs. 

Done & Done.

I would have guessed it was an 10,000 SF home, but he says 7,000 SF. Ceiling mounted for 2 and attic mounted (oriented properly) for the third. He’s on day 2 and he’s over the moon.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.