C4 Forums | Control4

Multi-zone mini split HVAC: which brand is easiest to automate?

Hello all.

Our project will have about 18 HVAC zones from 5 mini-split compressors.  The system designer has proposed Mitsubishi, but the contractor likes LG.   Neither has much automation experience.  

Does anyone know whether Mitsubishi or LG (or other brand) is significantly better/easier cheaper to interface with Control4 (on an end-to-end basis-- including all required accessories, bridges, drivers, etc.)?   I see that a lot of people recommend Intesis boxes with Chowmain driver.  Others have mentioned IFTTT options.   I was dreaming about a manufacture-sponsored native IP driver-- but I'm not seeing any vendors referencing that.   Anyway, shot in the dark, but thought I'd ask.

Thanks!

It's pretty much all 3rd party paid driver.

Only large zone number ones I can think of are Aprilaire or Tekmar https://drivercentral.io/platforms/control4-drivers/climate-fan-fireplace/

Page 1 and 3 respectively.

Maybe Daikin, but no experience (also on page 1)

I'd say your best bet is Intesis, which will likely work on either of the two you mentioned (same link, page 2)

3 minutes ago, OceanDad said:

Intesis works well for me.  Only two zones, but it's been pretty much rock solid.  Scheduling through C4is a bit of a pain, but that's more a problem with the stat proxy than anything related to Intesis.

Thanks.  Do you use the Chowmain driver?  Probably a naive question, but does the driver license cover the whole project or is pricing "per device" (ie., per Intesis box)?   From reading the driver notes, it looks like you need one Intesis box per zone-- is that right?   

I use the Chowmain driver - works fine.  Driver licensing is per project.  You will need one box per zone, and they connect via wi-fi.  Be sure that your wi-fi coverage is good enough to reach all the boxes, especially if they are tucked away in a service closet or something.  Easy connection of the Intesis box into the CN105 port inside the Mitsubishi unit. 

• 4 weeks later...

Ok now that the new IntesisBox products are out i can talk about it.  If you are still going with Mitsubishi and are using the City Multi systems then you can use the following new hardware that was launched a few days ago.  It connects to the outdoor unit and controls all indoor units connected.

https://www.intesis.com/products/ac-interfaces/wifi-gateways/mitsubishi-electric-city-multi-home-automation?ordercode=INMBSMIT050C000

• 7 months later...

I have a mini split, Pioneer. I don't see it listed anywhere on ChowMain although Sensibro says it can be controlled. I purchased a wifi internet controller that works through Cielio app. I would think the wifi controller would be able to be controlled by C4 or CM driver. Any suggestion if anyone has experience or just go with Sensibo? 

Pioneer Wireless Control Module

Thx

42 minutes ago, timmypop said:

I have a mini split, Pioneer. I don't see it listed anywhere on ChowMain although Sensibro says it can be controlled. I purchased a wifi internet controller that works through Cielio app. I would think the wifi controller would be able to be controlled by C4 or CM driver. Any suggestion if anyone has experience or just go with Sensibo? 

Pioneer Wireless Control Module

Thx

We do not have a driver for that particular module.  As such you will need to utilise Sensibo (if it is compatible)_.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.