C4 Forums | Control4

RS232

Time2Jet

7 hours ago, time2jet said:

Curious if any of you guys are using RS232 in your projects and for what?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Am using it for:

- Security system

- Shutters control; Somfy URTSII

- Audio Matrix

- Video Matrix

- RFID Access

Projectors, amplifiers, video processors, AV switches, etc.

Call me old school, but actually, i like RS232 very much.

Yes, you need to have a 1:1 connection, but you´re totally independant of any network issues, don´t need a heartbeat to prevent connection from closing, no dependency on device energy saver settings, etc. RS232 just works.

So I struggle with the WOL Issues with my LG CX display and the native c4 ip driver.  The display won't turn back on if you try to soon after turning it off...  I started thinking about RS232 Control.  Anyone have any thoughts on that?  @Crustyloafer suggested adding IR for power control only, which I now completely understand. 

1 hour ago, time2jet said:

So I struggle with the WOL Issues with my LG CX display and the native c4 ip driver.  The display won't turn back on if you try to soon after turning it off...  I started thinking about RS232 Control.  Anyone have any thoughts on that?  @Crustyloafer suggested adding IR for power control only, which I now completely understand. 

RS232 is my favorite way of integration to C4, as long as you have a port available then use it, I have plenty of ports at my Rack with 1xHC800 and 2xIO Extenders, 12 ports 😀 for remote devices I use either an HC250 or Global Cache, fantastic devices, eBay is full of it starting @ $30

• 1 month later...
On 10/10/2020 at 5:43 PM, Amr said:

RS232 is my favorite way of integration to C4, as long as you have a port available then use it, I have plenty of ports at my Rack with 1xHC800 and 2xIO Extenders, 12 ports 😀 for remote devices I use either an HC250 or Global Cache, fantastic devices, eBay is full of it starting @ $30

How do you use an HC250 in OS3?

Yea I wish serial drivers for TVs were more readily available and easier to deploy.

Even if you find a working RS232 driver that switches on/off, inputs, and volume it wont work with Mini Apps like netflix and such and you still loose some functionality.

But yea every once in a while the IP drivers for TVs will bug out. This is for any brand (Sony, Samsung, LG, Panasonic) none of them are bullet proof. At home I use all Panasonic IP TVs and I would says each TV glitches twice a year and requires me to manually turn the TV on to regain control again.

In fact for AV devices the only IP drivers that seems to be near mint for never glitching out is AV Receivers. Whether its Denon, Yamaha, Onkyo they all work very very well and are incredibly reliable. I never second guess using an IP driver for recivers. TVs on the other hand are a mixed bag. Alot of the time I will still use IR just becuase the IP never seems to be perfect.

Also blows my mind that IP TV drivers weren't really even a thing untill 2018 and are just now in late 2020 starting to become more common and mainstream. But way back in like 2010 you could get a solid IP driver for AV recovers.

Wish the network cards in the TVs were as good as the cards in the receivers. I dont even think its crappy drivers, I just think the network cards in TVs are cheap and buggy.

2 hours ago, zaphod said:

It would be really nice if the TVs and AVRs all used a similar REST API for control so that it would be very easy to create IP drivers for any and all TVs & AVRs.

While you're at it, it would be really nice for me to win the lottery.  I think that's more likely, even if I don't enter lotteries.

:)

RyanE

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.