C4 Forums | Control4

OS 3.2 Out today! with new products!

Matt Lowe

Ok was wondering if anyone started to install and try one out yet. Maybe some real world pictures too.

Personally I’m waiting for the black color, but haven’t decided between WiFi or POE. It will be challenging to run Cat6 to the front door area, but not impossible. 

4 minutes ago, dinom said:

Ok was wondering if anyone started to install and try one out yet. Maybe some real world pictures too.

Personally I’m waiting for the black color, but haven’t decided between WiFi or POE. It will be challenging to run Cat6 to the front door area, but not impossible. 

I’ve never been happy with a wireless video doorbell; Chime might be different since it supports 5 ghz. If you get past the wiring challenge knowing that it’s always powered and has the best bandwidth is worth it.

Just now, jfh said:

I’ve never been happy with a wireless video doorbell; Chime might be different since it supports 5 ghz. If you get past the wiring challenge knowing that it’s always powered and has the best bandwidth is worth it.

Ring pro is 5ghz

21 hours ago, dinom said:

I've had a beta Chime in since February, running on 5GHz Wifi, and it's worked flawlessly.  My access point is fairly close, though.

Of course, your mileage may vary (especially with Wifi).

RyanE

22 minutes ago, drmark12pa said:

I had emailed Control4 about the password issue and there is an updated Composer HE for download and it did indeed fix the issue!

You emailed Control4 and got a response?  :D

20 minutes ago, RyanE said:

I've had a beta Chime in since February, running on 5GHz Wifi, and it's worked flawlessly.  My access point is fairly close, though.

Of course, your mileage may vary (especially with Wifi).

RyanE

Can you compare Chime wireless performance to that of any other wireless doorbell? (Your own opinion, not a C4 one).   I would hope there is a significant difference if Chime is processed locally.  

9 minutes ago, jfh said:

Can you compare Chime wireless performance to that of any other wireless doorbell? (Your own opinion, not a C4 one).   I would hope there is a significant difference if Chime is processed locally.  

I've never used any other doorbells other than a physical button before this one, so unfortunately, I can't compare.

The local intercom starts up a 3-5 seconds after pressing the button.

The snapshot notifications I have for motion and button press are also fairly quick, although I haven't timed them out, and of course, they're slower if I'm getting the notifications over 4Sight as opposed to at home.

RyanE

5 minutes ago, RyanE said:

I've never used any other doorbells other than a physical button before this one, so unfortunately, I can't compare.

The snapshot notifications I have for motion and button press are also fairly quick, although I haven't timed them out, and of course, they're slower if I'm getting the notifications over 4Sight as opposed to at home.

RyanE

Ryan, are you using the new T4 touchscreen?

24 minutes ago, RyanE said:

Can you disable sending notifications and other traffic through 4Sight and force them to local only?  
How is the audio quality when answering the doorbell?  My Ring sounds like a discussion with Charlie Brown’s teacher and is pretty much unusable. :(

3-5 seconds doesn’t sound like an improvement over other wireless options.  Hopefully the PoE version is faster.  A 5 second delay is an eternity for a doorbell so I want to do everything I can to minimize the delay in getting an intercom session started.

1 hour ago, jfh said:

Can you disable sending notifications and other traffic through 4Sight and force them to local only?  
How is the audio quality when answering the doorbell?  My Ring sounds like a discussion with Charlie Brown’s teacher and is pretty much unusable. :(

3-5 seconds doesn’t sound like an improvement over other wireless options.  Hopefully the PoE version is faster.  A 5 second delay is an eternity for a doorbell so I want to do everything I can to minimize the delay in getting an intercom session started.

i've got a wifi and intercom on screens go up before I can count to one. app 3 seconds is the slowest I've seen on Wifi, harder to be sure over cellular though.

29 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

i've got a wifi and intercom on screens go up before I can count to one. app 3 seconds is the slowest I've seen on Wifi, harder to be sure over cellular though.

It's been a while since I tested the speeds of it, I also could be confusing with the time it comes up on my Android phone, which is what I most commonly use.

RyanE

Played around with the Chime (PoE) today.  I’m not going to install it outside until the mounting accessory kit is available so for testing and getting the programming ready it’s in my office.

Initial impressions - this is going to displace Ring and other video doorbells in C4 households.  Video quality is very good even at the lower resolution defaults and sound quality during intercom calls between the Chine and T3 is light years above the Ring Elite (also PoE).  Still some delay and audio is not perfect but you can reasonably have a conversation with someone at the door.  I have not tested response remotely via 4Sight yet but I don’t use that for cameras often.  My wife was impressed with the audio/video improvement over Ring and WAF is always important.  
Also looks nicer than I expected.

You lose some interesting functions the Ring has, but I think the response time in actually answering the doorbell press, direct integration with C4 and the new history function will be worth the trade offs.  Establishing a video chat session on a doorbell press seems to be slightly over 2 seconds and an intercom session from a wireless T3 slightly faster.  The Chime will definitely sell T3/T4s.  Haven’t tested sessions from a wired T3 yet.  And a big plus for not having to use another external ap for looking at the doorbell view which can now be on the camera screen with the other cameras.

I still need to test motion and zones and configure the Chime to work with my LUMA 510 but just knowing I will be able to record locally instead of having the separate sub for the Ring cloud is exciting.  Being able to show snapshots or video clips in the history screen is awesome.  I think I like video better but will have to extend the default clip duration.   

I will miss the Ring Chime unit though.  Don’t know if there is a comparable C4 device.  I don’t / won’t have an external doorbell chime hooked up and would like to have a similar device to augment announcements played over the in ceiling speakers.

So far my biggest gripe is that there is no way to programmatically force the camera into day (color) or low-light (b/w) mode.  The camera seems to aggressively force the camera into b/w mode even when there is more than enough ambient light.  There needs to be two additional device specific commands and a way to determine what mode the camera is in.  I would also like to see a way to record video without a button press (could be there, but not obvious).   And C4 gets points deducted for not having any of the mounting accessories available at release.

16 hours ago, jfh said:

Played around with the Chime (PoE) today.  I’m not going to install it outside until the mounting accessory kit is available so for testing and getting the programming ready it’s in my office.

Initial impressions - this is going to displace Ring and other video doorbells in C4 households.  Video quality is very good even at the lower resolution defaults and sound quality during intercom calls between the Chine and T3 is light years above the Ring Elite (also PoE).  Still some delay and audio is not perfect but you can reasonably have a conversation with someone at the door.  I have not tested response remotely via 4Sight yet but I don’t use that for cameras often.  My wife was impressed with the audio/video improvement over Ring and WAF is always important.  
Also looks nicer than I expected.

You lose some interesting functions the Ring has, but I think the response time in actually answering the doorbell press, direct integration with C4 and the new history function will be worth the trade offs.  Establishing a video chat session on a doorbell press seems to be slightly over 2 seconds and an intercom session from a wireless T3 slightly faster.  The Chime will definitely sell T3/T4s.  Haven’t tested sessions from a wired T3 yet.  And a big plus for not having to use another external ap for looking at the doorbell view which can now be on the camera screen with the other cameras.

I still need to test motion and zones and configure the Chime to work with my LUMA 510 but just knowing I will be able to record locally instead of having the separate sub for the Ring cloud is exciting.  Being able to show snapshots or video clips in the history screen is awesome.  I think I like video better but will have to extend the default clip duration.   

I will miss the Ring Chime unit though.  Don’t know if there is a comparable C4 device.  I don’t / won’t have an external doorbell chime hooked up and would like to have a similar device to augment announcements played over the in ceiling speakers.

So far my biggest gripe is that there is no way to programmatically force the camera into day (color) or low-light (b/w) mode.  The camera seems to aggressively force the camera into b/w mode even when there is more than enough ambient light.  There needs to be two additional device specific commands and a way to determine what mode the camera is in.  I would also like to see a way to record video without a button press (could be there, but not obvious).   And C4 gets points deducted for not having any of the mounting accessories available at release.

How about this plugin ZigBee Chime: https://www.axxind.com/smarthome/plug-in-chime/

I see that the iOS app updated today.  The update allows for Chime integration (per the notes in the App Store).  It does not appear to allow for any other integration (or I am missing something which is quite possible!).  I thought the idea was for the C4 app to replace Intercom Anywhere.  Is this still coming, or are those of us with DS2s going to have to stick with Intercom Anywhere while those with the Chime can use the main C4 app?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.