C4 Forums | Control4

OS 3.2 Out today! with new products!

Matt Lowe

9 minutes ago, jfh said:

T4s are a tough sale at those prices.  I’m sure I’ll get at least one but I’d replace all my screens if they were closer to $500-$600.  But C4 corporate profit, dealer profit, tarriffs on Chinese made products, low volumes make that a dream.

I was thinking this too.  Too bad they don’t have a trade in to bring the cost down. 

25 minutes ago, Matt Lowe said:

You also have to remember iPad and other tablets are not meant to be plugged in and left charging forever they are a hazard and diminishes the left of the product. 

though I agree - at the price of a cheap android tablet its cheaper to replace them every 2-3 years.  I have a friend who worried about an “outdoor tv” though it was covered and mostly a shaded area.  I said buy a cheap TCL or Toshiba TV or something and total worst case you throw it away every year for 10 years and its cheaper than a “sunbrite” tv or whatever that is meant for outdoors.  And I am sure we can assume you can get more than 1 year out of most “indoor TVs” placed outdoors under a covered area, etc.  If you have a TV exposed in all day elements and sun sure you pay the $2,0000 for a 45’’ TV or whatever.  Just like a touchscreen, for a new install, unless you are heavily dependent on the intercom function, the Touchscreens can be replaced with wall mounted tablets.  

Better mics/resolution aren’t really reasons to rip out a T3 if you ask me.  Better features would be the reason to rip it out and add a T4.   I don’t mind saving a few bucks this time around!

2 hours ago, azkid said:

silly question, once updated to the new firmware how do you get the history button to show?  I can see history agent in composer but theres nothing on my c4 app...  Checked the navigator screen in composer and didn't see it there either...

You need to be on OS 3.2 for it to show on Touch Screens, but you need to make sure your mobile app is also updated to the latest versions to see it there.

iOS - 320.41.0 (577)
Android - 320.39.1.1

If you still aren't seeing it then go to Settings > Sync Settings in the mobile app and force close/reopen the app.  This should resolve it not showing for you.

31 minutes ago, eggzlot said:

though I agree - at the price of a cheap android tablet its cheaper to replace them every 2-3 years.  I have a friend who worried about an “outdoor tv” though it was covered and mostly a shaded area.  I said buy a cheap TCL or Toshiba TV or something and total worst case you throw it away every year for 10 years and its cheaper than a “sunbrite” tv or whatever that is meant for outdoors.

Few thoughts about that:

1. Total waste of earth´s resources...
  2. I want my gear to work and not have them to replace regularly. I don´t want to be the facility manager of my own house. Effort is cost to me, even if i´d do the replacement myself.

26 minutes ago, crazybuppie said:

Whatever do you mean? :)

i also got a bunch of ipads with this battery problem. 
on newer ipads this problem is solved. 

if c4 would add a screensaver to the andoird/ios app, i would recommend to go for that.
t3 is totally outdated and sluggish slow. 

11 minutes ago, Köhler Medientechnik said:

Few thoughts about that:

1. Total waste of earth´s resources...
  2. I want my gear to work and not have them to replace regularly. I don´t want to be the facility manager of my own house. Effort is cost to me, even if i´d do the replacement myself.

It’s also a dealer vs end user view too.  And if the end user isn’t the facility manager of the house they are paying someone to do it (you) so you would rather sell the expensive item once vs cheap items every few years.  In some cases I’m ok paying - I don’t hate the dealer model.  I’m happy with it.  That said some items are priced at a point that doesn’t make much sense.  T3/t4 is one of those items.  And you could get by with android tablets for a fraction of the price

with my savings I’ll donate to some eco friendly causes 🙂

1 hour ago, Matt Lowe said:

You also have to remember iPad and other tablets are not meant to be plugged in and left charging forever they are a hazard and diminishes the left of the product. 

Sounds like a problem that some C4 programming could solve.

40 minutes ago, Darin, C4 PM UI said:

You need to be on OS 3.2 for it to show on Touch Screens, but you need to make sure your mobile app is also updated to the latest versions to see it there.

iOS - 320.41.0 (577)
Android - 320.39.1.1

If you still aren't seeing it then go to Settings > Sync Settings in the mobile app and force close/reopen the app.  This should resolve it not showing for you.

where do you find the version in iOS?

39 minutes ago, jfh said:

A review on the Chime:

https://www.residentialsystems.com/technology/security/review-control4-chime-smart-doorbell

Says it comes with an adapter for a standard one gang box.   That’s a big plus for me since I would replace an existing Ring Elite.

Like the look of this a lot👍👍

Mind made up I think and it won’t be ring 

12 minutes ago, eggzlot said:

And if the end user isn’t the facility manager of the house they are paying someone to do it (you) so you would rather sell the expensive item once vs cheap items every few years. 

Well, you still have the downtime. If you do the same approach for all of your stuff in the house, there´ll be always something broken...

14 minutes ago, eggzlot said:

That said some items are priced at a point that doesn’t make much sense.  T3/t4 is one of those items.  And you could get by with android tablets for a fraction of the price

Well, as mentioned before, a tablet is not a 1:1 replacement for a fixed touch-panel. But of course you have to make your own decision from a cost-benefit perspective.

BTW: With Crestron, you won´t even get a 7" panel for the price of the C4 10" panel - so it´s all relative. 😎

Just now, Köhler Medientechnik said:

Well, you still have the downtime. If you do the same approach for all of your stuff in the house, there´ll be always something broken...

Well, as mentioned before, a tablet is not a 1:1 replacement for a fixed touch-panel. But of course you have to make your own decision from a cost-benefit perspective.

BTW: With Crestron, you won´t even get a 7" panel for the price of the C4 10" panel - so it´s all relative. 😎

You keep missing my point.  Look at the elan touchscreen. It’s over a year old.  Voice and facial recognition.  Has “premium” features that makes you go hmm ok.  The t4 is like buying a new computer 4 years later (after buying the t3).  I’d expect the price to drop with no new real “cool” features other than a new chip and an extra mic   

its at most 75-100 in parts sold for over 1k    And it’s only real use case over a tablet is intercom.   If it’s worth it to a customer that’s fine   

they listened with chime so a cheaper video intercom feature.  Maybe future has a cheaper touchscreen to match 

not sure what you mean with something always broken.  I can do it all myself or hire someone.  Doesn’t impact how much potential downtime could be across all systems in my house.  Depends on way too many variables to make such a blanket statement.   

For me, my aging, wall mounted iPad mini just takes to long to "wake up" even though it's in Guided Access mode.  And now that I'm thinking of getting the new Chime to replace my Nest Hello, it just makes sense.  Thinking of getting the 8" in white, but will have to do some drywall repair to replace the flush mounted iPad.

2 minutes ago, eggzlot said:

not sure what you mean with something always broken.  I can do it all myself or hire someone.  Doesn’t impact how much potential downtime could be across all systems in my house.  Depends on way too many variables to make such a blanket statement.   

That was refering to your outdoor TV example:
You suggested to buy minor quality stuff because for the price difference to the high quality one, you just could let it break and replace it.
That creates downtime - according to Murphy, it´ll break down when you don´t need it.

Plus when it breaks the model you installed is potentially out of production, you need to search for a replacement that has potentially different remote control requirements, doesn´t fit into the old frame/box, etc.

You´re pretending that your own labor has no cost applied. But all this creates effort, hassle and frustration.
If you´re happy with it - fine. I just wouldn´t suggest that approach to others.

But to cut the discussion short: sure i´m with you that for the technology used, home automation touchscreens are relatively expensive, i agree with it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.