C4 Forums | Control4

DS2 Flush-mount Template .. Fabricating plate for Chime

Joey13

My DS2 decided to stop working properly a few months out of warranty. With such a huge price disparity for a new one I am going to go with the new Chime.  With that said, I am working with a fabricating to make a plate and was wondering if someone could share the template and flush mounting instructions for DS2  Flush-mount.  If it works well, I would be happy to share his contact information for anyone that wants to follow in my footsteps. I am sure C4 will address this one day, but I haven't heard anything yet.

Truly appreciated. Thanks

2 hours ago, Joey13 said:

My DS2 decided to stop working properly a few months out of warranty. With such a huge price disparity for a new one I am going to go with the new Chime.  With that said, I am working with a fabricating to make a plate and was wondering if someone could share the template and flush mounting instructions for DS2  Flush-mount.  If it works well, I would be happy to share his contact information for anyone that wants to follow in my footsteps. I am sure C4 will address this one day, but I haven't heard anything yet.

Truly appreciated. Thanks

Another option is using HDPE which is used in boats for backboards for electronics and other things.   It's easy to cut and would also make for a good backing plate.   Sometimes it's called Starboard.   Comes in White and Black and potential you can find other colors (eg Gray).   Will not discolor, rot, etc.   Could even paint to match siding.

Thank you both. I know it’s probably too soon, but is there a way to get the Chime Template? I wanted to have it pre drilled with nylon/rubber grommets. The gentlemen I am working with has 13 different color options and I am just trying to develop something that everyone can use at minimum cost.

Thanks again

Thank you OceanDad.

Here are two prototypes so far.. trying to make a third that mounts using the clip and the same hole where the DS2 mounts.. it would require a special mounting clip.  I don’t have the chime, but I will install it this weekend to see what it looks like.  

Since mine is in stucco, I can use the four screw holes no problem. The other version uses double-sides tape. The third version would use the DS2 mounting locations. 

F8FF015C-D984-4B6D-BD85-A92DB049BBF4.png

• 2 weeks later...

I installed the Chime over a 1/2 depth box. It looks horrible (!!). 

The Ethernet connector on the back of the Chime is a nightmare of "r/assholedesign" proportions. 

The product would be better if the Ethernet plugged directly into the product. As it sits, you need a > 1/2" hole in your plate to fit the connector through, and you need a deep enough box to hold the connector, and enough space to squish the cable in. If you don't have a box mounted into the house (I don't, but I do have Ethernet) I would avoid this product. 

If anyone comes up with a 3D Printed box, I would be interested. Embedding a box into the house in this location isn't an option. 

IMG_5828.jpg

14 hours ago, ChrisM said:

I installed the Chime over a 1/2 depth box. It looks horrible (!!). 

The Ethernet connector on the back of the Chime is a nightmare of "r/assholedesign" proportions. 

The product would be better if the Ethernet plugged directly into the product. As it sits, you need a > 1/2" hole in your plate to fit the connector through, and you need a deep enough box to hold the connector, and enough space to squish the cable in. If you don't have a box mounted into the house (I don't, but I do have Ethernet) I would avoid this product. 

If anyone comes up with a 3D Printed box, I would be interested. Embedding a box into the house in this location isn't an option. 

IMG_5828.jpg

Seems like the WiFi version would have been a better solution for you, assuming you have an access point that’s close enough to work reliably. 

On 10/30/2020 at 3:16 PM, Joey13 said:

The chime I ordered didn’t come yet, so I was toying with it to see what it looks like.. I think I am going to change how it mounts and maybe mount it after removing the wall box.. to be continued....

Looking pretty good!

• 2 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.