C4 Forums | Control4

Preparing for T4 Install

dinom

A wise man @msgreenf once gave me this idea because I suck at terminating wires.  

to me punch down is easier.  So get a punch down jack (link below) and then 6” or 1’ stock made Ethernet cables.  If it’s hidden in the ceiling who cares.  I have a dozen camera wired up this way

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=5379&gclid=Cj0KCQjw8rT8BRCbARIsALWiOvR_uUPMIdFGTcDdR6ww-i7Fn2F59mnlseuvAXSFnzbokubBJl-WuxwaAh-kEALw_wcB

25 minutes ago, dinom said:

I know some folks suggest staying away from EZ crimps, but I’ve been using Platinum Tools EZ crimp system, and have not had a single problem in over 7 years. So much easier than traditional crimp connectors. 

Same with me...   Curious what is the issue with these connectors that some have experienced?   I test every one of my terminations with a Fluke tester and have never seen anything crop up as a problem but maybe I need to be looking out for something that I'm not aware of...    

3 minutes ago, mjbasford said:

the wire ends can stick out of the connector and cause damage to the equipment that it is plugged into

so a visual inspection is good enough to catch this?  or is not able to be picked up by the eye?

16 minutes ago, mjbasford said:

If it fails a visual inspection, it likely will not work at all, but even passing a visual inspection, damage can occur.  Take 2 ends, one standard and one EZ, you can feel the wire ends on the EZ connector.

Thanks,  and how does the problem manifest itself...  The port stops working?

• 3 weeks later...

Here is where I’m at right now. Wall box installed and CAT6 pulled. Just primed and painted the drywall too. Next is to terminate the CAT6 on both ends, install a PoE injector, and wait for the T4 to arrive. Can’t wait!

• 2 weeks later...

I want to replace my indoor Nest cams with a C4 compatible one. Also want to add an outdoor camera or two to monitor the back door and backyard area. I want these to be viewable on both the T4 and the C4 app. 

What about something like this to replace the indoor units?

https://www.snapav.com/shop/en/snapav/luma-trade%3B-surveillance-300-series-cube-ip-indoor-camera-lum-300-cub-ipw

Do I also need an NVR to make this all work?  How much $$ are we talking about for say 4-6 total cameras (including a new Chime, when I finally add that next year)?

Thanks. 

16 minutes ago, dinom said:

I’m want to replace my indoor Nest cams with a C4 compatible one. Also want to add an outdoor camera or two to monitor the back door and backyard area. I want these to be viewable on both the T4 and the C4 app. 

https://www.snapav.com/shop/en/snapav/luma-trade%3B-surveillance-300-series-cube-ip-indoor-camera-lum-300-cub-ipw

Do I also need an NVR to make this all work?  How much $$ are we talking about for say 4-6 total cameras (including a new Chime, when I finally add that next year)?

Thanks. 

There is a lot of compatibility if all you want to do is view the cameras on a touchscreen and app although I have not been able to find the user experience anywhere close to the native app of the camera company.   I use to have SnapAV cameras and they were good, just overly priced imho.   I currently use Unifi Cameras / NVR and they achieve what you want and allow viewing through C4 through the generic IP driver but the experience is slow as mentioned.   If you want to view on a TV,  viewing on some of the direct view apps via Apple TV are much quicker.   Now if you want to access DVR functions,  you need a camera setup with full C4 integration or as I understand it, cameras with open sytems that can work with C4 integrated software like Blue Iris.  

31 minutes ago, dinom said:

I’m want to replace my indoor Nest cams with a C4 compatible one. Also want to add an outdoor camera or two to monitor the back door and backyard area. I want these to be viewable on both the T4 and the C4 app. 

Thanks. 

I would go for Hikvision and Alan Driver 

https://www.hikvision.com/en/products/IP-Products/Network-Cameras/Pro-Series-EasyIP-/DS-2CD2443G0-I-W-/

No need for NVR and Photos within Push Notifications

51 minutes ago, dinom said:

Thanks. 

If you don’t have an NVR you won’t tape anything. So if there is an issue there is no record to pull off a hard drive.  Defeats the main purpose of security cameras if you ask me regardless of c4 in the mix or not 

Thanks all, yes I would need/want to record cameras and keep footage for at least 5 to 7 days, similar to what I can do with Nest cloud recording.

Does the UniFi NVR integrate with C4?  When you say it’s slow, which aspects are slow?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.