C4 Forums | Control4

Preparing for T4 Install

dinom

59 minutes ago, dinom said:

Thanks all, yes I would need/want to record cameras and keep footage for at least 5 to 7 days, similar to what I can do with Nest cloud recording.

Does the UniFi NVR integrate with C4?  When you say it’s slow, which aspects are slow?

Personally I’d use a pc with blue iris or a synology with enough licenses.  It’s more flexible in terms of camera compatibly, it works in c4, etc.  and by flexible you now have an extra PC or a NAS for additional storage vs a pure dedicated NVR.  You can get a dell refurb pc for 300 or so that will work for a modest blue iris set up

2 hours ago, dinom said:

Thanks all, yes I would need/want to record cameras and keep footage for at least 5 to 7 days, similar to what I can do with Nest cloud recording.

Does the UniFi NVR integrate with C4?  When you say it’s slow, which aspects are slow?

The NVR doesn’t integrate but their native app is extremely good so I have no desire for it to.   The cameras will play live video in C4 .

2 hours ago, dinom said:

I have UniFi cameras but 9 out of 10 times I’d always use UniFi over Control4 to view them. Control4 can only show live video and per camera, not all at once, it can’t show anything from the NVR. However sometimes I just want to view a single camera on a touchscreen or TV and C4 works great. 

29 minutes ago, dinom said:

Thanks, so looks like I get two licenses  for two cameras for free. Can C4 access the live feeds directly?  Do I need any special drivers on the C4 side?

I have a synology also and use it for my Doorbird camera as the license is free for 1 as you say.  The app and user experience though is nothing like the Unifi Protect system...   Just my opinion. 

42 minutes ago, dinom said:

Thanks, so looks like I get two licenses  for two cameras for free. Can C4 access the live feeds directly?  Do I need any special drivers on the C4 side?

You can likely use generic onvif drivers for the cameras.  @lippavisualrecommends this set up so maybe he can chime in

i mean it’s an NVR you own already. And you can see the cameras on c4 or the synology app. Not sure what another system would offer?  Blue iris does offer some cool stuff with c4 like motion detection and changing profiles and stuff.  So something to consider 

14 hours ago, eggzlot said:

Personally I’d use a pc with blue iris or a synology with enough licenses.  It’s more flexible in terms of camera compatibly, it works in c4, etc.  and by flexible you now have an extra PC or a NAS for additional storage vs a pure dedicated NVR.  You can get a dell refurb pc for 300 or so that will work for a modest blue iris set up

One question reg. BlueIris:

Is it possible to combine several cameras into one stream and stream that to a target?

FWIW... Unifi surveillance stuff is quite proprietary to themselves and for that reason we stay away from them. OTOH, I'm largely a fan of Unifi AP's, Edgerouters and more recently their switches (that provide quite good POE).  

We also looked at Synology and for a number of reasons that I can't remember decided against them (but otherwise love Synology NAS's).

SO, we are now doing Security Spy (decent but not great C4 integration though the new HomeKit integration is looking really good - but the Security Spy apps are all so good that integration is really not needed except for triggers) w/ Dahua & Amcrest cameras. We've found it to be much more capable and more importantly stable than Blue Iris (likely because of being on a MacOS (Unix) platform). 

2 hours ago, TundraSonic said:

FWIW... Unifi surveillance stuff is quite proprietary to themselves and for that reason we stay away from them. OTOH, I'm largely a fan of Unifi AP's, Edgerouters and more recently their switches (that provide quite good POE).  

We also looked at Synology and for a number of reasons that I can't remember decided against them (but otherwise love Synology NAS's).

SO, we are now doing Security Spy (decent but not great C4 integration though the new HomeKit integration is looking really good - but the Security Spy apps are all so good that integration is really not needed except for triggers) w/ Dahua & Amcrest cameras. We've found it to be much more capable and more importantly stable than Blue Iris (likely because of being on a MacOS (Unix) platform). 

Don't disagree on the proprietary angle... I would love to be able to add any brand camera I would like but have stuck with Unifi as its a free cloud service, the NVR solutions are incredibly high value and the UI and IOS app are awesome and constantly being upgraded with added features.   My only gripe with them is because of the constant innovation, stability of new versions can sometimes falter but hasnt been a huge enough issue to switch.   I have also heard their 4k camera is overpriced at $440 versus the solutions you mentioned but their 1080P cameras are good value imho.

Because of @msgreenftalking about Amcrest, I did buy an Amcrest webcam and like it alot! :)

Just saw an email from C4 that was forwarded to me from my dealer. It shows that the 10” white wall-mount T4 are scheduled to start shipping late December. Apparently there are delays in getting the LCD screens due to COVID. The earliest was the 8” white wall-mount, shipping mid-December. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.