C4 Forums | Control4

Preparing for T4 Install

dinom

• 2 weeks later...

41 minutes ago, ILoveC4 said:

I still can’t get more table top units. The wall mounts are available. 

Just the 8” white so far, right?  JSTRONG is saying 10” wall white could start shipping next week. 

11 hours ago, dinom said:

Just the 8” white so far, right?  JSTRONG is saying 10” wall white could start shipping next week. 

I’d have to double check. I thought all the wall mounts were available....but “available” could mean “ships next week”.

• 2 weeks later...

So I received my T4 yesterday, and as soon as I removed it from the box had my first disappointment.  The bottom edge of the screen, where the glass meets the plastic frame has a separation (behind the glass I believe) that creates very noticeable defect.  I would imagine on the black version, this might not be visible.  It's only aesthetic, but for $1300 my dealer agreed without any hesitation to issue an RMA.  So at some point I'll receive a replacement and will send this one back.

Photo%20Jan%2022,%2012%2051%2039%20PM.jp

Photo%20Jan%2022,%2012%2051%2054%20PM.jp

So then I hooked up the CAT6, mounted the power box and leveled it nicely.  The T4 then has a cleat of sorts that hooks at the back and then has magnets to secure it to the box.  Then you use an included small hex driver to secure a captive screw from below to lock it in place.  The screw is not optional IMO, as without it you can easily remove the screen off the wall (and could even knock it off the cleat).  The magnet is not that strong.

So the second disappointment is that the T4 (at least the 10" version) is quite "flimsy" along the left and right edges.  I little bit of touch screen pressure or other small hand forces can easily wiggle it forward and back.  If you go a little too far you can even make it disconnect from its pogo-stick type connector on the back and it loses connection to the network temporarily.  Now this is not something one would normally do, but again I wasn't really pulling away from the wall that strongly.  The T4 in general seems a bit too plasticky and flexible compared to the iPad Mini I had before.   

In any case, my dealer says the 8" units he's installed are very sturdy, and I don't doubt it.  The 8" unit will have much more of its back surface mounted tightly up against the power box, so much more support.  And I can confirm in the central area of the 10" screen, there is very little flex when I touch the screen.  But the 10" has several inches on either side where it is cantilevered off the backplate/power box and there is not support between the back of the screen and the wall.  I'm now contemplating putting some type of firm rubber or felt behind either side of the screen to act as a cushion to support the edges.

Anyone else have a 10" wall mount that can comment on their experience?  Maybe there is something I'm missing or something else is wrong with my unit?  The back box and power box are very solid and do not move at all.  I really do like the T4 experience though, so I'm still happy I got it.  The always on capability and large 10" screen is really nice, and the wife likes it too :-).  

Thanks,

Dino

1 hour ago, dinom said:

So I received my T4 yesterday, and as soon as I removed it from the box had my first disappointment.  The bottom edge of the screen, where the glass meets the plastic frame has a separation (behind the glass I believe) that creates very noticeable defect.  I would imagine on the black version, this might not be visible.  It's only aesthetic, but for $1300 my dealer agreed without any hesitation to issue an RMA.  So at some point I'll receive a replacement and will send this one back.

Photo%20Jan%2022,%2012%2051%2039%20PM.jp

Photo%20Jan%2022,%2012%2051%2054%20PM.jp

So then I hooked up the CAT6, mounted the power box and leveled it nicely.  The T4 then has a cleat of sorts that hooks at the back and then has magnets to secure it to the box.  Then you use an included small hex driver to secure a captive screw from below to lock it in place.  The screw is not optional IMO, as without it you can easily remove the screen off the wall (and could even knock it off the cleat).  The magnet is not that strong.

So the second disappointment is that the T4 (at least the 10" version) is quite "flimsy" along the left and right edges.  I little bit of touch screen pressure or other small hand forces can easily wiggle it forward and back.  If you go a little too far you can even make it disconnect from its pogo-stick type connector on the back and it loses connection to the network temporarily.  Now this is not something one would normally do, but again I wasn't really pulling away from the wall that strongly.  The T4 in general seems a bit too plasticky and flexible compared to the iPad Mini I had before.   

In any case, my dealer says the 8" units he's installed are very sturdy, and I don't doubt it.  The 8" unit will have much more of its back surface mounted tightly up against the power box, so much more support.  And I can confirm in the central area of the 10" screen, there is very little flex when I touch the screen.  But the 10" has several inches on either side where it is cantilevered off the backplate/power box and there is not support between the back of the screen and the wall.  I'm now contemplating putting some type of firm rubber or felt behind either side of the screen to act as a cushion to support the edges.

Anyone else have a 10" wall mount that can comment on their experience?  Maybe there is something I'm missing or something else is wrong with my unit?  The back box and power box are very solid and do not move at all.  I really do like the T4 experience though, so I'm still happy I got it.  The always on capability and large 10" screen is really nice, and the wife likes it too :-).  

Thanks,

Dino

Useful feedback.  Thanks!  As a matter of interest, I had the same flexibility challenge with my T3s (had forgotten until you mentioned it) and my dealer put some form of stickers - essentially 2 or 3mm thick tape that looked like a washer between the T3 and the wall.  He put 4 of these on each of my surface mounted T3s and the problem vanished. Hopefully the same will work for the T4. 

@dinom so sorry your initial unit was defective as nothing worse than the anticipation of something new only to have it go wrong right out of the box. 

I had my T4 installed yesterday but had a smooth installation.  I went from a 7" Infinity Edge TS to the 10" T4 as well as finally going from OS2 to OS3 so this was a big jump from a physical and software perspective.  The physical installation was probably about 5 mins as there was very little work needed since there was some backward compatibility in the IE/T3 backbox.  I agree with needing to use the screw to secure it the wall.  The magnets are very cool and even impressed the installer as this was the first T4 he had done but I felt better with the screw in place.  My T4 feels fairly secure against the wall and I didn't notice any movement but I can see where if that did happen foam stickers or something could help (none were supplied). I have a Chime on order as well so I am looking forward to those working together.  The T4 is located in the kitchen so I chose the larger screen with the anticipation of it being easy to see the Chime's camera when somebody rings the doorbell. Like you I got the wife's vote of approval after it was installed. I was worried she was going to complain about the wall aesthetics but surprisingly she liked it and has bought into the idea of how it will be used with the Chime. ;)

IMG_5818.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just recently the outdoor temperature is showing on the screensaver has been incorrect. The outdoor temp is 26 degrees and shows correctly on the bottom right corner of the normal control screens.  But when the screensaver kicks in, it shows as 66F. 

5 hours ago, dinom said:

Just recently the outdoor temperature is showing on the screensaver has been incorrect. The outdoor temp is 26 degrees and shows correctly on the bottom right corner of the normal control screens.  But when the screensaver kicks in, it shows as 66F. 

There is an option to choose outside or inside temp.... Could this be checked for inside?

Yes that was it, my son actually found that setting about 1 hour ago. Weird that I didn’t do anything to switch it initially from outdoor to indoor. It just starting showing indoor temp a few days ago. 

Thanks for responding. 

1 minute ago, dinom said:

Yes that was it, my son actually found that setting about 1 hour ago. Weird that I didn’t do anything to switch it initially from outdoor to indoor. It just starting showing indoor temp a few days ago. 

Thanks for responding. 

No worries,  time to open the wallet and run the heat a little more :)

5 hours ago, dinom said:

Thanks for responding. 

Added a thermostat maybe? 🤷‍♂️

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.