C4 Forums | Control4

Possible to replace Nutone Doorbell with DS2 or Chime?

DLite

Hi,

I've seen several posts where people mention they were able to replace an existing Nutone Door Chime with a Doorbird, DS2 or other video doorbell. I'm curious if someone can explain what needs to be done in order to make this happen, and specifically how to make the video doorbell trigger a standard door chime inside the house.

We have an existing Nutone Door Chime, along with an old-school Nutone Intercom system that we don't use anymore. When I attempted to wire a Ring Doorbell to it, the existing chime didn't sound when the Ring was pressed.  Is there a way to solve this problem? I have no problem getting rid of the Nutone system. But, I'm not sure what it replace it with in order to make a video doorbell work.

Thanks

1 hour ago, DLite said:

Hi,

I've seen several posts where people mention they were able to replace an existing Nutone Door Chime with a Doorbird, DS2 or other video doorbell. I'm curious if someone can explain what needs to be done in order to make this happen, and specifically how to make the video doorbell trigger a standard door chime inside the house.

We have an existing Nutone Door Chime, along with an old-school Nutone Intercom system that we don't use anymore. When I attempted to wire a Ring Doorbell to it, the existing chime didn't sound when the Ring was pressed.  Is there a way to solve this problem? I have no problem getting rid of the Nutone system. But, I'm not sure what it replace it with in order to make a video doorbell work.

Thanks

Depending on the gauge of the wire just you'll have to tone out the pair and splice in a 18-24DC transformer at the other end. There's no way to get it powered off of the Nutone bus.

1 minute ago, EverAction said:

Depending on the gauge of the wire just you'll have to tone out the pair and splice in a 18-24DC transformer at the other end. There's no way to get it powered off of the Nutone bus.

Thanks.  Does that mean we'll also need to install a new doorbell chime, or will it trigger the Nutone chime once it has power?

2 minutes ago, DLite said:

Thanks.  Does that mean we'll also need to install a new doorbell chime, or will it trigger the Nutone chime once it has power?

Correct, or if you're integrated to an audio source have the button press trigger a chime out of an audio source. Some of the new smart doorbells come with their own plug in chime like the Ring Chime.

I remember at one site we had a Doorbird customer that when the Doorbird was pressed, it would alert via a Zigbee chime. I can't remember the brand though.

3 minutes ago, EverAction said:

Correct, or if you're integrated to an audio source have the button press trigger a chime out of an audio source. Some of the new smart doorbells come with their own plug in chime like the Ring Chime.

I remember at one site we had a Doorbird customer that when the Doorbird was pressed, it would alert via a Zigbee chime. I can't remember the brand though.

Thanks a lot, that is very helpful.  Would something like this Axxess Zigbee Chime do the trick if we wanted to go the Zigbee route?  

You'll use the WiFi model, I read there will be some accessory to have it ring a typical indoor chime, but the dealer site doesn't have the installation wiring guide uploaded yet, so can't say for certain.

Otherwise, you just need to figure out how to adapt your wiring to power the Chime WiFi unit. Then use the Control4 button press event to make you aware in the house. If there is no kit ever, you could put a ZIO or processor relay to make the inside chime ding, or use the accessory chime you found (make sure it's the Control4 version) or play an announcement, flash a light, etc.

2 minutes ago, RAV said:

You'll use the WiFi model, I read there will be some accessory to have it ring a typical indoor chime, but the dealer site doesn't have the installation wiring guide uploaded yet, so can't say for certain.

Otherwise, you just need to figure out how to adapt your wiring to power the Chime WiFi unit. Then use the Control4 button press event to make you aware in the house. If there is no kit ever, you could put a ZIO or processor relay to make the inside chime ding, or use the accessory chime you found (make sure it's the Control4 version) or play an announcement, flash a light, etc.

Is there also a POE model of the Chime?  It's actually relatively simple to run ethernet from our main POE switch to the front doorbell location.  So, if POE is possible, it sounds like it might be very simple to bypass the old Nutone system completely, by using POE at the doorbell itself and then installing a ZigBee chime indoors?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.