C4 Forums | Control4

Infratech Control4 Driver

grant0830

Hello,

we have 4 infratech heaters connected to the infratech home management system however we don’t have dim-able control over the heaters. From what I can tell the home management system is connected to relays on the back of our hc-800 but this is only allowing us to turn all 4 heaters on or off within control4? Any help would be much appreciated 

Hi Grant, for dimmable control you would need the 4 relays (for on/off) plus a 0-10v dimmer for each heater (or you could group them all together on one 0-10v dimmer I think - I haven't done it myself to be sure).

The best choice for 0-10v dimmers depends a bit on your existing system. If you have Control4 panelised lighting (as assuming you can get wires from the panel location to the heater controls, then the panelised 0-10v dimmer module would be your best bet (C4-DIN-8TV-E). This would let you control all 4 heaters individually.

If you have Control4 wireless lighting then their wireless 0-10v dimmer will likely be what you want (C4-TV240-WH).

If you had a different lighting control system such as Lutron, then you could use their 0-10v dimmers to achieve the same results.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks!    I also have Infratech heaters and have some follow-on questions if someone might be able to help:

1.  If I have 3 dual-element Infratech heaters, in order to both control them independently AND to utilize both elements so that I can enjoy the full range of heat output, would I need a control unit with 3 relays or 6?
  2. If I utilize a separate 0-10v dimmer for each heater, are both elements "on" whenever the heater is on and the dimmer just increases the heat of both in parallel?

(Sorry for the naive questions)

1. You'd need a relay per element, so 6

2. When using 0-10v dimmer, you'll want to have switches to match per heater  Why? Because we've seen time and again that the heater doesn't quite shut off when a dimmer is set to 0%. The switch would cut power to the device itself (do note the voltage!)

That said, you could likely get away with 3 switch (worst case the 'second' element would work at near zero output) - the 0-10v dimmer would be the same as relays - you'd want one per element if you want separated control.

All this assumes each unit has separate connections per element of course.

• 3 months later...

1. You'd need a relay per element, so 6

2. When using 0-10v dimmer, you'll want to have switches to match per heater  Why? Because we've seen time and again that the heater doesn't quite shut off when a dimmer is set to 0%. The switch would cut power to the device itself (do note the voltage!)

That said, you could likely get away with 3 switch (worst case the 'second' element would work at near zero output) - the 0-10v dimmer would be the same as relays - you'd want one per element if you want separated control.

All this assumes each unit has separate connections per element of course.

Cyknight,

are you saying you can use a 0-10V dimmer without the use of a home management panel?

If so, how does the 0-10V dimmer wire into the mix? also will the 0-10v dimmer be able to handle the load? 

there are 'standard' decora style 0-10v dimmers

the 0-10v dimmer doesn't handle the load at all - it merely sends out a 0-10v 'control' signal, so in that regard, the actual load doesn't matter.

as per that post, there should be a SWITCH to actually cut the load to the heater when it's supposed to be off - that load and/or voltage of course needs to match.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.