C4 Forums | Control4

C4 just released an Amazon Fire TV driver that doesn't suck

BraydonH

The new driver supports mini apps and responds near instantly (where as the old driver had a 1-2 second delay between button presses and receiving the command on screen)

This is a very nice little driver update. Perhaps Roku has a little competition within the C4 world now.

Im having mixed results, 3 of my firesticks work fine, two don't work at all (cant even be selected in composer).  All of them are 4k sticks.  For the ones that are working I agree it is great!  The ability to load custom apps on firestick makes them a way better choice over roku for me personally. 

That’s great news! Are there specific models which the driver works with? Would it work with the Fire TV Cube? I am in the UK and want a device with Ethernet and mini-apps and the Roku Ultra doesn’t work properly in the UK.

Thanks!

Whoa jumping the gun here!

The driver is CURRENTLY only for the US version / US localized 4K fire stick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Most other devices should get an update before the end of the year (original 2014 FireTV will not)

This is a new driver, not an updated driver, developed with Amazon direct using an updated API.

20 hours ago, azkid said:

Im having mixed results, 3 of my firesticks work fine, two don't work at all (cant even be selected in composer).  All of them are 4k sticks.  For the ones that are working I agree it is great!  The ability to load custom apps on firestick makes them a way better choice over roku for me personally. 

Upgrade the firmware. The firesticks need a new firmware to support this new driver. 

16 hours ago, Cyknight said:

Whoa jumping the gun here!

The driver is CURRENTLY only for the US version / US localized 4K fire stick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Most other devices should get an update before the end of the year (original 2014 FireTV will not)

This is a new driver, not an updated driver, developed with Amazon direct using an updated API.

Thanks - so not now, but hopefully by year-end...

Sure, difference here though is that it's against a developed API and a joint effort between both C4 and Amazon.

Not that it's any guarantee of course, just look at the new AppleTV IP driver, which I frankly ignore.

At least here mini-apps are available.

Then again, I think I have all of two clients with a FireTV so.....

🤔

But one of the reason to have so few clients with a FireTV is that it didn't work as well with C4 as Roku. So it was an easy call to get a Roku instead.  If the FireTV turns out to be pretty stable with the new software and drivers then there is no reason not to use them with C4.

You know what would be really nice?  If you could use a FireTV cube as an IR blaster in C4, as if it was a Clobal Cache device. That gives you Alexa, a TV streaming device and IR control in one relatively cheap device. Even better would be if the C4 Android App worked on a FireTV.  Then it could be used in place of an EA-1.

1 hour ago, zaphod said:

But one of the reason to have so few clients with a FireTV is that it didn't work as well with C4 as Roku.

That just meant we didn't suggest it - but we never said no either, and most people already have their preference - so I would argue that in this case it's just a matter of not being popular among our clients.

2 hours ago, azkid said:

in addition to the remote no longer having a delay, if you click into firetv apps on your sr260 you can launch any app thats loaded on the firestick not just those with mini drivers which is a neat feature. 

they have had this with Roku. I have found that almost none of my customer use this. It is neat though if you add a new app you can get instant access with no extra work. Should be able to save them as a favorite too to have them on the main page for navigators and the neo remote.

I use the Apps channel a lot and favorited the big ones, Amazon Prime, Netflix, Disney+ to my Neeo Home Screen in the theater. I even programmed my Red, Green, Blue etc buttons to be mini app launchers for the master bedroom when not on a source that utilizes those buttons (ie cameras use them and TIVO uses them). 

Just been noted on the dealer forums that this updated driver has been pulled temporarily. Apparently Amazon want to hold off for a little while longer until release.

For those following this thread, as of today (Friday, November 6, 2020) we have removed this driver from the Control4 online driver DB.

Amazon has requested that Control4 delay the official release of this driver for a short time. We expect to release this official driver in the near future.

Thanks,
-Eldon Greenwood
Director, Interoperability
SnapAV+Control4

On 11/9/2020 at 6:19 AM, Unsocialtoaster said:

Just been noted on the dealer forums that this updated driver has been pulled temporarily. Apparently Amazon want to hold off for a little while longer until release.

For those following this thread, as of today (Friday, November 6, 2020) we have removed this driver from the Control4 online driver DB.

Amazon has requested that Control4 delay the official release of this driver for a short time. We expect to release this official driver in the near future.

Thanks,
-Eldon Greenwood
Director, Interoperability
SnapAV+Control4

LOL didn't take long to prove me right!

I have the driver installed, I am now having an issue where randomly, playback pauses, then 1 second later continues, it doesn't even really stop but the menu with the slider at the bottom pops up.  Again seems random, sometimes multiple times in a 5 minute window, sometimes nothing for an hour.   Wonder if others are having issues?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.