C4 Forums | Control4

How to physically install a EA1 V2 POE Controller

dirtyceo

Question

Hi - I have an established EA5 home setup and recently bought a C4-EA1-V2-POE controller to control my office Samsung Frame TV 2020 and Apple 4K TV device.  Now that my system is established, I've been doing the hardware installs myself and using a remote programmer to get everything setup and configured.  With that, I have a really newbie question.  How do I physically wire the EA1/Samsung FrameTV/AppleTV setup so my remote programmer can do their thing?  From some initial research, it seems like everything is IP based and I just need to connect the EA1/FrameTV/AppleTV to my home network via ethernet.  Is that correct or do I need to hook up HDMI cables somewhere?  I don't think I need to use any of the IR ports since I'm not connecting anything like a receiver, Blu-ray, cable box, etc.  Two other points to make.  1.  I have a C4 Neeo remote I'm going to use which I can connect directly from the remote setup.  2. I'll be powering the C4-EA1-V2-POE via my POE network switch.  Please help me with this total noob question.

3 answers to this question

16 minutes ago, dirtyceo said:

Hi - I have an established EA5 home setup and recently bought a C4-EA1-V2-POE controller to control my office Samsung Frame TV 2020 and Apple 4K TV device.  Now that my system is established, I've been doing the hardware installs myself and using a remote programmer to get everything setup and configured.  With that, I have a really newbie question.  How do I physically wire the EA1/Samsung FrameTV/AppleTV setup so my remote programmer can do their thing?  From some initial research, it seems like everything is IP based and I just need to connect the EA1/FrameTV/AppleTV to my home network via ethernet.  Is that correct or do I need to hook up HDMI cables somewhere?  I don't think I need to use any of the IR ports since I'm not connecting anything like a receiver, Blu-ray, cable box, etc.  Two other points to make.  1.  I have a C4 Neeo remote I'm going to use which I can connect directly from the remote setup.  2. I'll be powering the C4-EA1-V2-POE via my POE network switch.  Please help me with this total noob question.

If the only on screen content needed is the ea1 OSD and the Apple TV you likely need:

hdmi from Apple TV to tv

hdmi from ea1 to tv

all devices connected to home network via Wi-Fi/Ethernet 

don’t think you need any IR

6 minutes ago, eggzlot said:

If the only on screen content needed is the ea1 OSD and the Apple TV you likely need:

hdmi from Apple TV to tv

hdmi from ea1 to tv

all devices connected to home network via Wi-Fi/Ethernet 

don’t think you need any IR

Awesome, thank you!  

You should use the IR to control the Apple TV / Display TV.

The IP driver for Apple TVs kinda sucks. Stick with IR on that one.

And unless your TV is brand new and a higher end model it wont have IP control. So you may or may not need to IR your TV depending on what model you have.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.