C4 Forums | Control4

When >> Then vs Composer HE

JamesPB

Question

Hello

I'd be really grateful for any clarity you can provide on these questions. I am an IT professional so bits of code and tech don't phase me

How useful is Composer HE now we have When >> Then?

What features does each have that the other doesn't? What could I do/not do with each?

Is it worth having both or else which one?

James

16 answers to this question

4 hours ago, Gary Leeds UK said:

Go for HE ~ it allows you programme your system ~ only thing you can not do is add new products 

also get the rename driver which allows you to change the name of your devices 

both are very useful 

This.  HE is streets more useful than When / Then

WHEN -> THEN is really only for people wanting to do some very basic things - like scheduling a light, or have something happen when a door open - that wouldn't be comfortable with the more 'complex' interface of HE.

Note that even HE is not 'code programming' as such at all, it's still a graphical interface to achieve the underlying code, though it uses terms that will be familiar to a true coder.

Oh and 'complex' is written like that for a reason, it's not really all that complex, but still something that a lot of people can't (or don't want to) wrap their heads around.

HE allows for far more detail in what you can achieve, details on IF statements etc, opens more events (triggers) to program off of.

I'd also say that if you want to do something more complex (ig turn on these lights when a door opens, but only if those other lights aren't on, but only after sunset, unless it's summer) it would be far easier in HE than in WHEN-THEN due to how it's structured, so if you want a bit 'more' it will actually be easier to use HE.

On 11/28/2020 at 5:03 AM, Gary Leeds UK said:

Go for HE ~ it allows you programme your system ~ only thing you can not do is add new products 

also get the rename driver which allows you to change the name of your devices 

both are very useful 

Where do I get the rename driver?  And how do I install a new driver from Composer HE?

10 minutes ago, CaddyShack said:

Where do I get the rename driver?  And how do I install a new driver from Composer HE?

https://www.blackwiredesigns.com/store/c4-device-renamer/

was written by @msgreenf

you need a dealer to buy it and install it - an end user cannot install drivers with Composer HE

once installed you can do the programming (in this case change names of devices) with the driver

On 1/11/2021 at 12:49 PM, eggzlot said:

https://www.blackwiredesigns.com/store/c4-device-renamer/

was written by @msgreenf

you need a dealer to buy it and install it - an end user cannot install drivers with Composer HE

once installed you can do the programming (in this case change names of devices) with the driver

Thanks.  @msgreenf helped me out, great guy.  Thanks for the pointer.

One other comment on When-->Then: it's prohibitively slow for certain things (I assume due to the cloud roundtrip). For example, assigning a button to a light in Composer HE might react in 250ms, while the same programming in When-->Then has a 1s lag. It's noticeable...

10 hours ago, booch said:

One other comment on When-->Then: it's prohibitively slow for certain things (I assume due to the cloud roundtrip). For example, assigning a button to a light in Composer HE might react in 250ms, while the same programming in When-->Then has a 1s lag. It's noticeable...

I have never used when then, but I thought it simply dumped things in to Composer as programming.  I suspect that the delay is a result of When Then using the on single click event rather than the on press event for connecting to a light... but I am guessing.

55 minutes ago, South Africa C4 user said:

I have never used when then, but I thought it simply dumped thing in to Composer as programming.  I suspect that the delay is a result of When Then using the on single click event rather than the on press event for connecting to a light... but I am guessing.

No it's in the cloud

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.