C4 Forums | Control4

Need help!!!! New to C4 and creating drivers.

Dan Perkins

Hi all

I am new to C4 Programming, I have just got use to composer but I would like to create some IP drivers as every device I go to control doesn't seem to have an IP driver and I have to go down the IR or RS232 route and some devices don't have these functionality.

If anyone could could give me some advice where to start and if there is anyone willing to help me out.

Thanks in advance

Dan

There's information available in the Control4 dealer database on videos and instructions.

When it comes to IP (or even two-way serial) there's no built-in or 'graphical' method of writing drivers, it's done in XML files.

Note that IP isn't always the preferred method, or even possible, for numerous types of devices/brands/makes, depending on stability of the interface, availability of commands (such as WoL, WoL on Wifi).

Understand that making IP drivers is NOT standard procedure for dealers/installers, nor is the ability needed in general for most.

1 minute ago, Cyknight said:

There's information available in the Control4 dealer database on videos and instructions.

When it comes to IP (or even two-way serial) there's no built-in or 'graphical' method of writing drivers, it's done in XML files.

Note that IP isn't always the preferred method, or even possible, for numerous types of devices/brands/makes, depending on stability of the interface, availability of commands (such as WoL, WoL on Wifi).

Understand that making IP drivers is NOT standard procedure for dealers/installers, nor is the ability needed in general for most.

Thanks

OK whats your opinion on the following setup.

Samsung TV: IP control is available but no C4 driver available,

Hive heating: Can not find any drivers,

SkyQ: found a free driver but would like to see if  direct app selection is available,

TCPsmart : no drivers available for sockets,

Dahua: got to pay for a driver,

Ring Doorbell: got to pay for a driver.

This is just a few I have on one system hence why learning to do the drivers would be beneficial.

Thanks

Dan 

Samsung TV, might be model dependant, but most do IP - and have drivers. Wifi doesn't work due to no WoL available.

Hive, don't know it

SkyQ: https://drivercentral.io/platforms/control4-drivers/audio-video/skyhd-skyq-uk-control4-driver-chowmain/

TCPsmart not familiar with it so can't comment.

Dahua and Ring as well as the above SkyQ - these were developed by 3rd party (and sold)for a reason. If you think you can recreate these drivers and/or improve on them, by all means go ahead, but you'll be SELLING those drivers most likely, because the creation, testing and maintenance involved cost time, and thus money.

Understand that YOU aren't paying for those drivers as a dealer - the end-user would be. If you're looking to recreate these drivers for clients, than in the end, they'll STILL be paying for it because of what you need to charge through for the time involved.

When it comes to devices people have already, than sometimes it's just not feasible to integrate them. Possible and feasible not being the same thing.

If a certain device such as a thermostat, bulb or socket don't integrate, then offer a device that does the same and DOES integrate.

To be clear, I'm not telling you not to start creating drivers, just advising you that being a driver developer is NOT a standard part of being a C4 dealer, and you should get into development for the right reasons.

2 hours ago, Cyknight said:

Samsung TV, might be model dependant, but most do IP - and have drivers. Wifi doesn't work due to no WoL available.

Hive, don't know it

SkyQ: https://drivercentral.io/platforms/control4-drivers/audio-video/skyhd-skyq-uk-control4-driver-chowmain/

TCPsmart not familiar with it so can't comment.

Dahua and Ring as well as the above SkyQ - these were developed by 3rd party (and sold)for a reason. If you think you can recreate these drivers and/or improve on them, by all means go ahead, but you'll be SELLING those drivers most likely, because the creation, testing and maintenance involved cost time, and thus money.

Understand that YOU aren't paying for those drivers as a dealer - the end-user would be. If you're looking to recreate these drivers for clients, than in the end, they'll STILL be paying for it because of what you need to charge through for the time involved.

When it comes to devices people have already, than sometimes it's just not feasible to integrate them. Possible and feasible not being the same thing.

If a certain device such as a thermostat, bulb or socket don't integrate, then offer a device that does the same and DOES integrate.

To be clear, I'm not telling you not to start creating drivers, just advising you that being a driver developer is NOT a standard part of being a C4 dealer, and you should get into development for the right reasons.

Thanks for the info, I understand the whole business side of selling the drivers and the cost incurred ect, This system is just my home system for testing and demo. 

I Was hoping to get a bit more experience with writing drivers to help me understand more about how these drivers work and how to create them.

I have got a bit disillusioned with the ability of integrating Control4 in retrofit systems, I can get more control over my system using apps and Alexa, I was hoping it would have been an easier and cleaner integration.

Im not saying Control4 has not got a place in the world of integration but just not in retro fitting, it would be great if all clients let us spec their whole house but most have a preferred brand or an existing system they want. 

The reason for wanting to create the drivers myself is to understand what is going on within a driver and to have control over what that driver does.

If you have no programming background and no understanding of Oauth and protocols like that you won't be able to write some of these drivers. you could probably build a basic IP driver for controlling on off of a device but any of the cloud-based drivers you would not have much success with

4 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

If you have no programming background and no understanding of Oauth and protocols like that you won't be able to write some of these drivers. you could probably build a basic IP driver for controlling on off of a device but any of the cloud-based drivers you would not have much success with

Thanks for your negativity.

6 hours ago, Dan Perkins said:

Thanks for your negativity.

He's not being negative, just straightforward in warning you on some of the requirements.
Mitch is one of the ones on here with the most experience doing IP based drivers, probably the most of those that are on here very frequently, and certainly has more knowledge than me in this subject.

Would have been wiser to accept the info and the heads up for what it was than to shoot it down.

2 hours ago, Cyknight said:

He's not being negative, just straightforward in warning you on some of the requirements.
Mitch is one of the ones on here with the most experience doing IP based drivers, probably the most of those that are on here very frequently, and certainly has more knowledge than me in this subject.

Would have been wiser to accept the info and the heads up for what it was than to shoot it down.

I understand it's not going to be easy and at the moment not looking to do cloud based ip drivers. 

The reply from Msgreenf came across as negative, it was more what I wont be able to do rather than try this or try that.

I was looking for some help to get started writing ip drivers as per my original post and progress from there.

3 hours ago, Dan Perkins said:

I understand it's not going to be easy and at the moment not looking to do cloud based ip drivers. 

The reply from Msgreenf came across as negative, it was more what I wont be able to do rather than try this or try that.

I was looking for some help to get started writing ip drivers as per my original post and progress from there.

Sorry that you feel that way. I would start w api documentation. And then move on to control4 api information. And once you study both and download download driver editor, them start coding. 

4 hours ago, msgreenf said:

Sorry that you feel that way. I would start w api documentation. And then move on to control4 api information. And once you study both and download download driver editor, them start coding. 

Thanks I will check them out I have had a play with Driver editor already but will have a look at some API documents.

Documentation can be found online here:
https://github.com/control4/docs-driverworks

I would skip DriverEditor entirely and just use something like VS Code. As long as you format the files and build the manifest file for the project to spec you can just build it with the command line using DriverPackager.exe (comes with DriverEditor). Information about the manifest file can be found here: https://control4.github.io/docs-driverworks-fundamentals/#what-is-a-c4zproj-file

Most of the C4:urlXXX commands should do what you need if the protocol for the API is HTTP.

As for things like OAuth Control4 has a library and example here: https://github.com/control4/docs-driverworks/tree/master/sample_drivers/oauth_example although it does appear you need to contact them for an API Key to use it.

AUTHORIZATION = 'C4 API Key for OAuth ', -- provided by C4 on per-application basis

If you need specific help with anything you can PM me directly.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.