C4 Forums | Control4

Single zone amp ideas.

Upgraded to 3.2. Speaker points no longer work. I have 1 zone that I need an additional amp of some kind. Ethernet is there. Any ideas how or what to buy. It’s my garage so I’m hoping to save money and get something that works, but not too expensive. (2) other C4 amps already in project but no way to run wire to garage speakers. 

jeff

20 minutes ago, Jeffrobinson1327 said:

Upgraded to 3.2. Speaker points no longer work. I have 1 zone that I need an additional amp of some kind. Ethernet is there. Any ideas how or what to buy. It’s my garage so I’m hoping to save money and get something that works, but not too expensive. (2) other C4 amps already in project but no way to run wire to garage speakers. 

jeff

likely not the cheapest but easiest solution is a Triad One

https://www.control4.com/docs/product/triad-one/triad-data-sheet/english/latest/triad-one-triad-data-sheet-rev-b.pdf

If you have ethernet there you can do what I did if you have an audio matrix

1) Cheap Pyle Amp that is always switched to "on" - google for pyle amps, lots of cheap options and I have some klipsch speakers for the amp

2) Wemo outlet to control the amp - using IFTTT driver I can turn the amp on/off using this switch since the Amp is always in the "on" position

3) Ran RCA over Ethernet from my audio matrix to the input of the Pyle amp https://www.amazon.com/Stereo-Audio-Balun-Extender-Cat5E/dp/B01HPJ0LR0 and my matrix (Video Storm's audio matrix) can control audio volume I can get volume control

I mean it works, its cheap and used mostly spare parts I had around the house, but it was more cost effective than a Triad One

I think eggzlot's idea is a good one if you don't want to pay up for the Triad one.  But you will need to have your audio source at the location where your ethernet wiring terminates to use those baluns.  If that is the case then take his advice. 

You could also consider buying a used HC-800 on ebay and use whatever amp.  That gives you lots of options, assuming that you have an amp.  And you can use the IR on the HC800 to control an amp.  You could also use the relays and sensors on an HC800 for stuff like garage door or other integration.  The downside is that this may not be a very long term solution as the HC800 may become obsolete in a few years. 

Couple of notes.

If using an audio matrix that is OLDER (ie not the Triad or the last Control4 one (full gloss square front cover) those units only had 25 volume steps vs the standard 100.

Another option, if one is available, is to use a controller's stereo output directly which will get you all streaming devices and full volume control.

That said, the Triad One isn't cheap, but it does rock!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.