C4 Forums | Control4

Sonos Session Lost

So we have some Sonos 1's in our living room, along with our TV. My wife and I like to listen to music on the Sonos, while we have captioned news on the TV. But our control4 system (3.2.0) seems to loose the Sonos play session whenever we switch back to the TV to adjust the channel or change the volume (to mute it for example). Control4 seems to think that the Sonos has stopped playing and isn't active. Can't find any sessions or bring up any transport controls.

In the living room the TV is set to use the audio/video 1 endpoints, and the sonos is set to use the audio 2 endpoints.

Anyone know what's happening and how to fix this?

• 4 weeks later...

On 12/5/2020 at 11:24 AM, jimbones said:

So we have some Sonos 1's in our living room, along with our TV. My wife and I like to listen to music on the Sonos, while we have captioned news on the TV. But our control4 system (3.2.0) seems to loose the Sonos play session whenever we switch back to the TV to adjust the channel or change the volume (to mute it for example). Control4 seems to think that the Sonos has stopped playing and isn't active. Can't find any sessions or bring up any transport controls.

In the living room the TV is set to use the audio/video 1 endpoints, and the sonos is set to use the audio 2 endpoints.

Anyone know what's happening and how to fix this?

As I understand it, this behavior is by design.  C4 doesn't expect you to have two different sources playing in the same room at the same time.  

One way to achieve what you want would be to have your dealer create two "rooms"  -- e.g., "Living Room Watch" and "Living Room Listen."  If you did that, you could have Sonos playing in the "Living Room Listen" at the same time that the TV plays in "Living Room Watch."  For convenience, you might also write a bit of code that automatically mutes the TV whenever the Sonos starts playing and automatically unmutes it if the Sonos stops playing while the TV is powered on.

• 3 weeks later...

We also had issues with Savant and multiple sessions with Sonos. It's crazy that C4 thinks users only ever use a single session at a time. And these hacks to create multiple rooms just dont make any sense when you're having to do it all over the house. In our own daily lives, here some examples of when we'd have two independent sessions:

- I like to watch the news on the TV with captions enabled while listening to music through the Sonos
- My wife likes to spin on her bike in our basement while watching a cycling video on the TV but listening to music through the Sonos
- We like to put Sesame Street on the TV for our toddler but play music or news through the Sonos.

These scenarios happen multiple times a week, so we've had to make a habit of keeping OEM remotes out and leveraging OEM apps for respective products and platforms. Which makes control4 only a "part-time" solution for just basic control of our devices.

4 minutes ago, jimbones said:

Savant also thinks that users only use 1 audio or video activity at a time. This is such a crazy concept to me. And these hacks to create multiple rooms just dont make any sense when you're having to do it all over the house. In our own daily lives, here some examples of when we'd have two independent sessions:

This is 100% wrong. Savant specifically allows you to make all  of the options uniqe to each zone. This is one of the major programming advantages over C4 and while Savant is so much more capable. What you are asking for only takes a checkbox in Blueprint. 

We thought so too, And when our dealer/integrator was working to set it up, no amount of playing with the independent services checkboxes yielded true independence with Sonos. My understanding after a few phone calls with Savant support was that true independent service configuration isn't compatible with Sonos endpoints. And you end up with the same issue I'm having in Control4.

We were told that if we had integrated products in the Savant Music ecosystem, we would be able to achieve what we wanted, but alas, not with Sonos. Are you able to confirm that you can have independent video services and a Sonos service running in Savant?

I'd specifically be after independent volume control and consistent transit controls while switching between services. We had issues with volume being applied to both services and disappearing Sonos service and transport controls.

28 minutes ago, AVNeeds said:

This is 100% wrong. Savant specifically allows you to make all  of the options uniqe to each zone. This is one of the major programming advantages over C4 and while Savant is so much more capable. What you are asking for only takes a checkbox in Blueprint. 

Yea, you're right about Savant allowing independent services. Edited my previous message to better reflect what I was trying to say. My issues with that are still listed above though and would love clarification if they've improved the experience.

On 1/18/2021 at 4:46 PM, AVNeeds said:

No worries, I also got lost in the fact that you said a play model speaker. I usually have a Sonos streamer as part of the distributed audio... let me unbox a play speaker or beam and add it to a zone tonight or tomorrow and play with it to double check that type of setup. 

Any luck?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.