C4 Forums | Control4

Integration with Siri

homeauto01

Folks, I am new to C4, recently purchased a home with a fairly large C4 system installed.  I have been working to learn the system.  I have started using Alexa voice control with the system, but would much prefer to use Siri.  I am an almost exclusive Apple ecosystem home.  I have installed a bunch of Philips hue bulbs in all my floor and table lamps throughout the house and those I currently control with Siri and HomeKit.

What is my best option to get Siri/Homekit control of my C4 system so I can ditch Alexa?

Thanks for the advice!! 

Thanks guys.  I had found varietas software site, but was not sure if it was a good and/or the best solution.  Good to see that it was developed with input from this group and that it is still being supported and that it works as advertised.  I will be ordering the kit soon.  Can I install the driver using Composer or is this something that is locked where only a dealer can do it?  I purchased my house with the C4 system already installed and the installing dealer bailed as he was a friend of the previous homeowner.  I want to be as self sufficient as I can with my C4 system. The few interactions that I have had so far with the big dealers around here have made me want to rip out the C4 system.  I have not purchased Composer yet but I will if it would be beneficial to me getting the Varietas up and running.

One thing to note is that this doesn't support all types of devices - mainly lights, door/window sensors, motion sensors, etc.  To be honest, you are still better off using Alexa as you can control all types of devices, and do it more directly via macros, etc.  With Homebridge you can set up virtual lights and then tie macros to the light action, but it is kind of klugey. For example, I don't think you can control AV like TV or music unless you create virtual lights and do programming around that.  For example, in C4 you would create a "light" called KitchenTV. Then you program in C4 "When KitchenTV Light turns on then Turn On Kitchen TV". But in Homekit this shows up as a light.

You also have to go through a long setup in the iOS Homekit app, like you have to assign lights to rooms as that does not come across from C4. The way that Homebridge is set up it only allows 75 devices per Homebridge hub so the system creates various virtual hubs.  I have about 200 devices that go over to Homekit so I have three hubs in the system. That doesn't really matter once you get past the initial setup.

I think that Homebridge still makes sense for me.  I am an Apple fanatic, and have multiple Apple products in every room, including three home pods with plans for more.  I am pretty sure I am going to abandon my 8x8 Video matrix in favor of apple TV's.  For sound, blinds, HVAC and security, I suppose I will keep the C4 app on our phones and pads. I haven't thought much about the security system, but I do need to upgrade the 4 exterior cameras that I currently have and probably go from DVR to NVR.

My main desire right now is to control all the C4 light/fan switches/dimmers and all the Philips Hue bulbs in all the lamps in the house with Siri.  I have Dots and Echos sprinkled around right now and maybe I will keep one or two to handle the "other" type stuff with voice but I really have a bug up my butt to get rid of Alexa if possible.

On 12/15/2020 at 7:19 PM, homeauto01 said:

I think that Homebridge still makes sense for me.  I am an Apple fanatic, and have multiple Apple products in every room, including three home pods with plans for more.  I am pretty sure I am going to abandon my 8x8 Video matrix in favor of apple TV's.  For sound, blinds, HVAC and security, I suppose I will keep the C4 app on our phones and pads. I haven't thought much about the security system, but I do need to upgrade the 4 exterior cameras that I currently have and probably go from DVR to NVR.

My main desire right now is to control all the C4 light/fan switches/dimmers and all the Philips Hue bulbs in all the lamps in the house with Siri.  I have Dots and Echos sprinkled around right now and maybe I will keep one or two to handle the "other" type stuff with voice but I really have a bug up my butt to get rid of Alexa if possible.

My 2 cents here, I have both Joshua and David Drivers and I use Joshua’s driver, and I just love Opening doors and lights with my Apple Phone, the new Home Favorite is great and it’s faster than opening up C4 app and punish something, even quicker than voice commands 😀

Go for it, its wonderful for Apple savviest like myself.

I am a Control 4 Homebridge user and really happy with the capabilities it provides for IOS.  I don’t use it, but my wife does and it easier for her to use than the Control 4 app.  I like the idea of setting up a Virtual Light and using that to run macros etc.  How do you set up a Virtual Light? I asked my dealer and he did not how to do it?  

Thank you

What my dealer did was to set up some lights using the Chowmain Generic Lighting Driver (IR). This driver was made to send IR commands to IR controlled devices like LED light strip controllers.  But there may be other ways of doing this.  I think you have to pay $60 for the Generic Lighting Driver - there may be some free virtual light drivers.  Or there may be another type of light driver you can use - I would think that any driver that doesn't need to have a live connection should work.  Maybe even Hue light drivers would work as long as they don't complain about not being connected to the hub.

• 2 months later...

Just thought I would come back and wrap up this thread.  I did purchase the Veritas Homehub and Greenfield Solutions installed it for me.  It has generally been good for the limited things that I have used it for.  It does seem to get out of sync with the C4 app sometimes.  Ie: it will indicate that a light is on when it is not etc.  But it did allow me to start controlling all my C4 lights and fans and HVAC, along with all my HUE lamps all within Homekit and with Siri control.

• 2 years later...

I know this is an old thread, but after trying to use some of the other solutions out there and hitting some of the same issues as @homeauto01, I wrote my own driver and listed it on DriverCentral. 

Check it out and let me know if you have any questions or hit any issues:

https://drivercentral.io/platforms/control4-drivers/utility/home-connect-for-apple-home/

@Amr also posted a nice overview about it as well:

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, cnicholson said:

How does this Finite Labs driver compare with the DTI driver (if you know)?

My main motivation for writing the Home Connect driver was to simplify setup and configuration as well as expand support for more devices and better handling of device capabilities. If you try it out and have any feedback let me know and I will do my best to address it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.