C4 Forums | Control4

Why use Apple TV devices?

zaphod

2 hours ago, C4 User said:

I continue to maintain hope that one day we will be able to launch apps in Apple TV and that there will be an Apple Music driver.

The apple Shortcuts app can launch directly to an app on AppleTV so it’s possible, someone just needs to reverse engineer it or Apple needs to expose it. 

The only plus of the Apple TV 4K is that it is the only normal streaming box that can, without issue, handle Profile 7 Dolby Vision, which Plex can handle and output as of an update w/in the past week or so; this is great as many have Profile 7 dvhe content in their Plex library. 

Nvidia Shield, like Roku, can only do Profile 5 DV, so content in Plex that is profile 7 will be downgraded to just HDR10. At least the Shield can do passthrough audio of all forms, which no other streaming box can do. 

Roku can't do profile 7 and can't do passthrough audio, but does integrate very well...so 🤷🏻‍♂️

I think we all have preferences and in the end even if Apple makes changes to allow for direct app launch it won't change opinions.  The polarity we see with our electronics is just a reflection of our society, ultra polarized for no good reason...  

I'm device agnostic, I have both Roku and AppleTV in my racks and each serves a purpose.  Roku is the better choice for simplicity at this point however. 

I think this is changing.  I used to have an Apple TV and I was considering getting newer ATVs but given the move away from buying/rented content, and the low price and convenience of integration of Roku, I am now only buying Roku despite the fact that I am all-in on iOS for phones and tablets.

Just because the 'extremes' are loud, doesn't mean everyone is polarized.

I have Apple and Android based devices. I have my preference, but recommend based on the user, not my own preference. When it comes to AppleTv vs Roku, the thread was clear enough - beyond it being Apple (ie it's infrastructure, it's interface and any other apps you're 'set' in) there is no real reason to use ATV IN A C4 SYSTEM over a Roku.

The dolby profile 7 thing is so minimal, even it doesn't count, due to lack of content at this time, let alone the minimal OTHER equipment that actually handles it (TV and Receiver) that you need in the first place.

My ONLY grief with Apple is that they are so unwilling to cooperate, I've got nothing against their devices.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.