C4 Forums | Control4

Card Access Wireless Motion Sensor WMS10

hank31980

I have quite a few Card Access Wireless Motion Sensors. All operational but some seem to rely on a Card Access Relay module for their Zigbee connection. The ones on the older firmware are the ones reliant on this Wireless Relay connection.

They are currently operating on different Firmware versions, the latest one seems to be 02.01.02 and the oldest 02.00.08.

How can I set these all to the latest?

Anybody know how to force them to update to the later version.

On 12/19/2020 at 12:25 AM, hank31980 said:

I have quite a few Card Access Wireless Motion Sensors. All operational but some seem to rely on a Card Access Relay module for their Zigbee connection. The ones on the older firmware are the ones reliant on this Wireless Relay connection.

They are currently operating on different Firmware versions, the latest one seems to be 02.01.02 and the oldest 02.00.08.

How can I set these all to the latest?

Anybody know how to force them to update to the later version.

I didn’t get the Card Access Relay Module part!? What do you mean they are working? Are you able to identify them in your project!? Also the ones that seem working but will not join are probably Embernet version and they will never work or can be updated AFAIK.

All devices are actually Identified and currently working and functional.

These are all Card Access devices.

I have quite a few Motion Sensors WMS10 devices in my system and have the odd Relay Devices WCS10-R's.

My quest is to try & update the devices to the latest Firmware version, but not sure how to do it. The reason is the latest version allows easy identification of the devices.

The newest Motion Sensors seem to be running Firmware 02.01.02 and as such can be identified easily via the Main controllers HC-800 or HC-250 controllers.

However the older ones on 02.00.08 seem to be reluctant to identify & can only be identified when there is a Card Access Wireless Contact Relay device present.

Don't ask me why, its baffling to me?

image.png.2455ced4915b22c1f3aea64531cd500d.png

image.png

1 hour ago, msgreenf said:

You can't do a firmware update on those. The firmware is what it is. For the ones that won't identify change your zigbee mesh to channel 14 and try to identify them and that should work

But you can bring them to channel 25 afterwards, right?

Change to Ch 14 didn't solve unfortunately.

So only the Sensors with the newer ver 02.01.02 will identify to the local Zigbee. The ver 02.00.08 just go through the motions of trying to identify but just timeout, so not sure if I can solve this as it looks like its part of the older Firmware version.

They physically look exactly the same devices, no matter the firmware version, as they are all WMS10-2-ZP.

However in my Garage, remote to the main house there is just a single HC-250 controller.

Its function is just operating Garage Door Opening/Closing & the Zigbee Mesh just for SR-250, Light Switch V2, Puck Dimmer V2 & this troublesome Card Access Wireless Sensor.

17 hours ago, hank31980 said:

Change to Ch 14 didn't solve unfortunately.

So only the Sensors with the newer ver 02.01.02 will identify to the local Zigbee. The ver 02.00.08 just go through the motions of trying to identify but just timeout, so not sure if I can solve this as it looks like its part of the older Firmware version.

They physically look exactly the same devices, no matter the firmware version, as they are all WMS10-2-ZP.

However in my Garage, remote to the main house there is just a single HC-250 controller.

Its function is just operating Garage Door Opening/Closing & the Zigbee Mesh just for SR-250, Light Switch V2, Puck Dimmer V2 & this troublesome Card Access Wireless Sensor.

Try this (try identifying after each button press sequence)

13 button presses to leave the last connected mesh  

(try ID)

remove battery and hold button while reinserting battery until led flashes (amber)  

(try ID)

9 button presses to factory reset

(try ID)

cant think of any else it could be   

On 12/24/2020 at 2:20 PM, time2jet said:

Try this (try identifying after each button press sequence)

13 button presses to leave the last connected mesh  

(try ID)

remove battery and hold button while reinserting battery until led flashes (amber)  

(try ID)

9 button presses to factory reset

(try ID)

cant think of any else it could be   

I tried all of the methods you suggested, 13X, 9X, I already did the battery boot up and press the button.

None of these helped unfortunately.

What I don't understand is that all of the 02.00.08 Motion Sensor devices have only identified via the Wireless relay WMS10-R device being present.

The baffling thing is that physically there are several other Zigbee devices very nearby, literally 2m or 3m metres away. These are like Light Switches C4-SW120, Kepypads C4-KC120, Puck Dimmers C4-DM201-Z, etc. etc.

Yet it ignores all of the other devices and only identifies and links via this Wireless Relay module.

Whereas the newer Firmware siblings on 02.01.02, as expected find a Zigbee device more local to them.

You can see the older devices clustering around the Wireless relay device.

image.png.3c3b56a9807023f2be0ec08275a5a54f.png

1 hour ago, hank31980 said:

I tried all of the methods you suggested, 13X, 9X, I already did the battery boot up and press the button.

What I don't understand is that all of the 02.00.08 Motion Sensor devices have only identified via the Wireless relay WMS10-R device being present.

The baffling thing is that physically there are several other Zigbee devices very nearby, literally 2m or 3m metres away. These are like Light Switches C4-SW120, Kepypads C4-KC120, Puck Dimmers C4-DM201-Z, etc. etc.

Yet it ignores all of the other devices and only identifies and links via this Wireless Relay module.

Whereas the newer Firmware siblings on 02.01.02, as expected find a Zigbee device more local to them.

Are you saying you “can ID” the device, but can’t get it to update?  

In theory, you build your mesh from the zigbee server out.  I say “in theory”,  because we’re always adding devices after the fact “in practice”.  One thing I’ve done with zigbee end node devices is ID’d them early and sat them on a shelf near the server for a few days.  This has served two purposes, 1st ...FW seems to update if needed and 2nd, for whatever reason It seems like when I do place them where they’ll end up, they tend to find a nice cleaner route back to the server over the following few more days.  It sounds like hocus pocus type stuff, but it’s served me well.   

1 hour ago, hank31980 said:

Am trying really to understand what you have here, I also have 02.00.08 and it pairs normally and works normally over channel 25, I don't really get the bond between the Relay and these sensors at all, if they are Embernet they will never pair into ZB Pro network.  CardAccess devices will never update, the firmware on these are not upgradable.  One last question what is you Director SW version running? 

I have these Zigbee Pro devices identified and working so I have no immediate problem.

however if the Wireless Relay module is powered off or removed from the system then it seems that these 02.00.08 firmware devices will be Offline.

they then refuse to re-identify to main controller HC-800 or secondary HC-250’s?

On 12/29/2020 at 12:46 AM, hank31980 said:

I have these Zigbee Pro devices identified and working so I have no immediate problem.

however if the Wireless Relay module is powered off or removed from the system then it seems that these 02.00.08 firmware devices will be Offline.

they then refuse to re-identify to main controller HC-800 or secondary HC-250’s?

I never seen this before, what is ur director software release, are u on 2.10.6?

My system runs from my old HC-800, which I've had since 2014,  and I guess for past year or so its been running on  2.10.6.561784-res OS quite happily.

This Zigbee identify issue is odd to me, because I have around 40 Zigbee devices distributed all around my house, and the only ZServer in the house is the HC-800, which is centrally located in the house. I don't have any trouble identifying the newer firmware models (02.01.02). For a while I did have other ZAPS provided by HC-250's behind each TV, but no one bothers to use the local Navigator anymore & Lighting all works well, so I had those HC-250's removed a short while back.

My lighting is all Control4 lighting, via C4-KC's keypads, C4-KD's dimmers, C4-SW's switches, C4-APD's adaptive phase dimmers and C4-DM201-Z's puck dimmers.

So initially when I tried to identify these older firmware Wireless Motion Sensors (02.00.08) in my Garage, as this is a little bit remote from my house and therefore is a simple setup.

I tried all of the above steps to Reset the devices, clear them off the system, but all to no avail, the older firmware sensors would not identify?

In the Garage, ZServer and ZAP were provided by the locally installed HC-250. This secondary controller controls the Garage Door operation, some music via a Garage Speaker Point &  some simple lighting via C4-APD adaptive phase dimmer (Zigbee) and Puck Dimmer (Zigbee). Even with the Zigbee mesh operational in the garage, ie Controller & Lighting I could not get these older WMS10-ZP to identify in the Garage. However just to try something I added a Card Access WMS-10R "Relay module" . I did this for no other reason than to try something to see if another Card Access Zigbee device would identify. It identified no problem. Also after this Relay was added, it then allowed my to identify the Wireless Motion Sensor to the system.

However when I removed the Wireless Relay the Zigbee path was broken for the Wireless Sensor and it never reconnected to the HC-250 or the C4-APD dimmer switch which controlled the light.

So I have swapped out a newer Motion Sensor from the Main House to the Garage and this identified no problem, without the presence of a Wireless Relay  module.

Back in the Main House was the same problem.

So here in the house the Zigbee mesh was provided now by the HC-800, and contained quite a lot of existing Zigbee devices, light Lighting Dimmers, Switches, Keypads, SR-260 remote controls, other Wireless Motion Sensors & a Zigbee to IR devices  etc.

But once again no luck with identifying, only with the presence of a WMS10R Relay Module would this work.

No Identified I can see that after a few days, the Zigbee path has migrated to other devices, so in theory all is working, but I reckon if I Disconnect the WMS10-ZP and try & re-identify I'll be back to the same problem.

Its a mystery, but even more mystifying is that no-one else seems to have suffered with this.

Anyway, thanks for your comments so far.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.