C4 Forums | Control4

Triad One speakers - what can it drive and what is reasonable

blub

Hello everyone

I want to put a Triad One into one of my rooms and replace a Denon HEOS there.

The Triad one is rated for 4ohm up to 100w, so what speakers do make sense here?
I was looking into B&W 707 / 706 S2 and Dynaudio Evoke 10/20 - but all of them actually "require" a more beefier amp.
I am not about cranking up the volume but for "normal" listening it should work and sound good - are those speakers worth connecting to the "one" or should I either look at cheaper speakers or another amp solution?

thx, any input/experience is welcome

26 minutes ago, zaphod said:

Your other option is to get a C4 controller and pair it with any amp - if you are just using it for music then you can use a stereo amp that doesn't even handle video.

True, but for that I need two devices:

stereo amp

control4 EA, most likely EA4 for serial/IR control and audio delivery to the amp

Edit:This setup will be about 2200€ just for amp and EA, plus speaker it'll be around 4000€ just for a tiny room

The appealing factor for the Triad One is that it is relatively small and I only have to place one device in that room.

1 hour ago, lippavisual said:

For a small room, why are you using tower speakers?  I wouldn't want a Triad 1 driving those.  I'd be looking more at the bookshelf type, with a separate sub for extra thump if needed.

The ones I posted are bookshelve ones

It's not can it, it can.

But should it? Unless you're spending that much on the speakers for their looks, then they deserve a more refined amplifier, Control4/HEOS/Legacy doesn't matter, they'll sound better with a good amplifier, particularly at lower volumes.

Cost, Looks, Sound Quality; pick only the 2 that are the most important to you.

On 12/28/2020 at 11:26 AM, blub said:

True, but for that I need two devices:

stereo amp

control4 EA, most likely EA4 for serial/IR control and audio delivery to the amp

Edit:This setup will be about 2200€ just for amp and EA, plus speaker it'll be around 4000€ just for a tiny room

The appealing factor for the Triad One is that it is relatively small and I only have to place one device in that room.

It depends how much you want to spend and whether you mind getting used equipment.  You can buy a used HC800 for around US$100 and I bet you can pick up perfectly good used amps all over the place for almost nothing.  I have 2 or 3 of them that only have component inputs that are sitting in a closet.  They are perfectly good Yamaha amps, but are obsolete for Home Theatre purposes due to lack of modern video inputs. And the HC800 has a bunch of other advantages given all of the inputs that it has.

But I understand the attractiveness of the Triad One if you don't mind the cost.

On 12/28/2020 at 5:34 PM, lippavisual said:

For a small room, why are you using tower speakers?  I wouldn't want a Triad 1 driving those.  I'd be looking more at the bookshelf type, with a separate sub for extra thump if needed.

You would think so, but more often than not larger speakers such as floorstanding models tend to offer higher efficiency than smaller bookshelf models and so, contrary to what one might think, they might be a better match for a lower powered amplifier than smaller speakers.

It will work great.  At the initial CEDIA show they introduced it at they were using it to power Triad Silver LCR's with a sub.  They'll power a 4 ohm load and if you use Triad speakers they have built in DSP's.  I use it to power their landscape speakers in a 4.1 config myself with rack amp 300 for outdoor hardscape sub.

• 11 months later...

This is an old topic but hopefully someone will see it.  Just added a triad one, I am trying to use some old definitive tower speakers that had been sitting around unused.  Yes they work, tested with a separate receiver.  Also, when I do the sound test in composer, they have the high pitch sound.  However, when I select the room and have it stream amazon music, tune-in, etc no audio comes out.  The speakers are plugged in 😉.  Any thoughts on why I cant get audio to come out of these? 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.