C4 Forums | Control4

Can control4 work with PlayStation 5?

Europe

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/29/2020 at 11:47 AM, Kaas Mayer said:

Wireless game controller range is not very long. I dont think that this will be a good ideal. 

The video can be shared with your c4 matrix. But i dont think that the endresult makes sense :)

I assume the Wireless Controller is RF, correct?

which frequency, is there an item that we can use that will let us keep the PS5 in the Rack? 

7 hours ago, jamesc4 said:

I assume the Wireless Controller is RF, correct?

which frequency, is there an item that we can use that will let us keep the PS5 in the Rack? 

3 hours ago, cshepard said:

This is not a good idea.

Agreed. Even if you could extend the frequency, the effects on control accuracy would be unpleasant at best.

Only thing that I can see theoretically work is a USB cable (and no I wouldn't recommend over CAT that you could have a local receiver connected to, but unless Sony either creates or allows it to a 3rd party, it won't happen. MAYBE 3rd party remotes that use a usb plugin?

At any rate, assume a game system must be local or the TV within 15f of the rack to work distributed.

If you really want PS5 to stream to somewhere else you have an option of doing Media over IP and then put the PS5 in the room it will be played so no controller lag. Have HDMI splitter out of PS5 1 to direct source of that room so no lag and one to a transmitter which can than stream to the rest of the house. However the notion of playing PS5 on any TV with one unit just isn't smart/feasible to do without significant input lag which would make most games unplayable. I say unplayable because by the time you see someone come around a corner they have a 0.5/1 second jump on you and that makes all the difference especially in FPS.

PS5 controller uses bluetooth 5.1 spec for wireless connect to the bluetooth console, and range is about 35ft.

Since PS4 can remote play a PS5, you could pick up some cheap used slim PS4’s and mounting it at each TV location. You’ll have a degraded video and audio experience, but it works. Since PlayStation game saves can be stored in the cloud (with PS Plus membership), you could always mount a PS5 at every location, so you get full 4k video and best audio as possible, and you can pick up and play at any location.

Read more about the PS5’s DualSense controller here: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/ps5-controller-haptic-feedback-adaptive-triggers-dualsense-6300

Read more about the remote play feature here: https://remoteplay.dl.playstation.net/remoteplay/lang/en/ps5_ps4.html

8 minutes ago, jimbones said:

you could always mount a PS5 at every location

Problem is, unless it got changed with the PS5, you can only have one 'main' system for each type you have (PS3, PS4) which means auto cloud saves and downloads are only done on one PS, making you manually up and download in other locations.

On 1/27/2021 at 11:37 AM, Cyknight said:

Problem is, unless it got changed with the PS5, you can only have one 'main' system for each type you have (PS3, PS4) which means auto cloud saves and downloads are only done on one PS, making you manually up and download in other locations.

It looks like the PS5 uses an auto-sync feature, instead of the auto-upload feature the PS4 has, so it is different. And I don't see a console restriction on this support page. Will investigate further.

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/support/subscriptions/ps5-ps-plus-cloud-storage/

1 minute ago, jimbones said:

It looks like the PS5 uses an auto-sync feature, instead of the auto-upload feature the PS4 has, so it is different. And I don't see a console restriction on this support page. Will investigate further.

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/support/subscriptions/ps5-ps-plus-cloud-storage/

Looks like this reddit thread dives into the issue, and it is indeed the same as PS4. A manual download of the save file needs to be completed on secondary consoles.

There are people who have modified a PS4 (and even the PS5) to include an external bluetooth antenna.  It requires taking it apart and drilling holes.  Then those people are able to get full coverage for their controllers. It can be done, but you obviously have to know what you are doing and I've heard its a bit more difficult on the PS5 (which has two antennas) than it was on the PS4. Plenty of YouTube videos. 

On 1/30/2021 at 11:46 PM, l3anks said:

I know this isn’t a ps5 but would recommend google stadia. Use chromecast ultra + stadia controller which is WiFi. Controller works anywhere in the house or patio and can game on basically any screen 

You would?

I'm genuinely asking and curious about any experience - I must admit I had completely forgotten about Stadia even existing as I've not seen or heard any mention of it that I can remember in months at least...

That's not meant derogatory at all and I do realize it sounds that way - but I honestly would have been less surprised to hear it got cancelled than see it mentioned here.

8 hours ago, Cyknight said:

You would?

I'm genuinely asking and curious about any experience - I must admit I had completely forgotten about Stadia even existing as I've not seen or heard any mention of it that I can remember in months at least...

That's not meant derogatory at all and I do realize it sounds that way - but I honestly would have been less surprised to hear it got cancelled than see it mentioned here.

To be fair, they wrote that right before Google's announcement that they are shutting down their Stadia studio.  https://www.theverge.com/22260994/google-stadia-platform-white-label-option

https://www.engadget.com/google-stadia-studios-closure-173055505.html

Yeah would still recommend it. IMO I'm not concerned about google's game studios closing and is probably good for stadia overall.  It narrows their focus on the stadia platform and allows them to work with 3rd party studios to offer the top rated games or contract exclusives instead of trying to dev their own. This has failed for amazon a few different times.  

If you compare it to last gen consoles, stadia graphics are on par or above a ps4 pro. CP2077 launch was a huge flop on ps4 and xbox because it couldn't run the game smoothly. Stadia actually ran it rather well.

Another benefit is the lower cost to try this out. You can basically play on anything that can run a chrome browser with any bluetooth controller or use a chromecast ultra + wifi stadia controller. You only need a subscription if you're interested in their free monthly games, 4K HDR + 5.1 surround

Downside is the size of their game library but they have been expanding quickly. 

1 hour ago, l3anks said:

Yeah would still recommend it.

But ask yourself: given Google’s track record of axing niche projects, and the current level of interest in Stadia (versus, say, next-gen consoles), how much longer do you think Google will continue to offer and promote a consumer-facing cloud gaming service?

Google has never released Stadia sales or subscriber numbers, so we can’t say for sure how many people have ever seriously tried it

I've no beef in the argument if Stadia will or won't work, but the low cost of trying it out (in a serious matter) and Google NOT coming out and saying it has xxxx milions of users isn't a great way to inspire confidence.

Guess I'll just wait and see if another 9 months from now I completely forgot it exists again....

10 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

I've no beef in the argument if Stadia will or won't work, but the low cost of trying it out (in a serious matter) and Google NOT coming out and saying it has xxxx milions of users isn't a great way to inspire confidence.

Guess I'll just wait and see if another 9 months from now I completely forgot it exists again....

Agree with all your points. There is a risk that they will pull the plug, and honestly,  I wouldn’t be surprised if they did. 

My investment in this is pretty low and I personally think it’s worth the risk so far.  That may change in the near future. 

Wanted to suggest it as it could be a good option for some on here

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.