C4 Forums | Control4

How many streams on Spotify?

stlcity

Hi all. I use Spotify to stream music on My home speakers in most rooms thru Control 4. We share a family plan thru Spotify. 

What I have found is, I cannot run two different Spotify streams simultaneously. For example, if I'm listening to music in great room and my wife turns on music upstairs my stream stops. 

Is it because as a family, we share one account on Spotify? 

Thank you. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/30/2020 at 7:21 AM, msgreenf said:

1 audio cable = 1 stream

What controller do you have? what Matrix/amp are you using?

Does the controller automatically pick which output to use (if you have multiple cables?).  Also, can you use both the analog and digital outputs as two streams or does one output (like digital) take the spot of the analog output?)

35 minutes ago, chudel said:

Does the controller automatically pick which output to use (if you have multiple cables?).  Also, can you use both the analog and digital outputs as two streams or does one output (like digital) take the spot of the analog output?)

Yes it automatically figures out what to use. Digitsl cables get used before analog. 

1 hour ago, msgreenf said:

Yes it automatically figures out what to use. Digitsl cables get used before analog. 

Bonus question? — can you tell which output is being used with which source/stream currently in composer or otherwise? (I generated a test tone to confirm the new cables were all working — I was just curious to know if I can see this in “real time”)

• 2 weeks later...

What do you mean by sharing "one account" on Spotify?  If you don't have a Spotify Family plan (and it is just a Spotify plan), you can only play one song at once.  Spotify is normally ~$9.99 a month.  The family plan is $15 a month.  With the family plan, you can have separate accounts and separate streams playing, but I am pretty sure you still cannot play two songs on one account, so this sounds like an account issue to me.  For instance, on Sonos you would have to set up "my Spotify" and "wife's Spotify" [using real names obviously] and tell Sonos which account to play the song on.

Try this:  Play a song on your phone.  Then have another family member play a song on their phone.  Do both play or does the music on your phone stop?  If both continue to play, are both phones logged in under separate Spotify logins or the same one?

On 1/10/2021 at 10:45 AM, msgreenf said:

No. Not even dealers can 

Well....you could check whatever audio matrix you have for what input is assigned to a respective output 😄

Actually the inability to see even what controller output is 'active' easily (let alone what it's playing) is a bit of a pet peeve of mine - would be handy to see it quick for the purpose of trouble shooting

1 hour ago, Topspin14m said:

For instance, on Sonos you would have to set up "my Spotify" and "wife's Spotify" [using real names obviously]

Yup, though to clarify, this isn't needed in Control4 as such as you're linking to each r3espective account as you initiate to spotify connect setting, so as long as the phones are on different accounts, there's no need to have specific drivers for each phone.

on a controller say an ea3 if you have coax digital connected to a matrix, then analog one and two connected to a matrix, then you pay for a family plan you can put 3 instances of spotify into c4 with a different login for each of the instances of spotify. if each user uses thier respective spotify you can have 3 different streams going. however to answer your question about which output plays, if you have all 3 outputs going, digital is chosen 1st, then analog 2, then analog one. if you have only analog cables hooked up to both output 1 and 2 , analog 2 will always play 1st from the controller

On 1/10/2021 at 12:27 PM, chudel said:

Bonus question? — can you tell which output is being used with which source/stream currently in composer or otherwise? (I generated a test tone to confirm the new cables were all working — I was just curious to know if I can see this in “real time”)

If you are using older matrix amps you can see which input is being used by double clicking on the Matrix Amp in Composer HE and it shows you a bunch of radio buttons which shows the matrix connections.  You can then tell which input is being used, and from that you can infer the controller output being used.

59 minutes ago, zaphod said:

If you are using older matrix amps you can see which input is being used by double clicking on the Matrix Amp in Composer HE and it shows you a bunch of radio buttons which shows the matrix connections.  You can then tell which input is being used, and from that you can infer the controller output being used.

Same on audio matrix. Just no clear way of seeing what controller output is used 'directly'.

On 1/20/2021 at 2:31 PM, Topspin14m said:

What do you mean by sharing "one account" on Spotify?  If you don't have a Spotify Family plan (and it is just a Spotify plan), you can only play one song at once.  Spotify is normally ~$9.99 a month.  The family plan is $15 a month.  With the family plan, you can have separate accounts and separate streams playing, but I am pretty sure you still cannot play two songs on one account, so this sounds like an account issue to me.  For instance, on Sonos you would have to set up "my Spotify" and "wife's Spotify" [using real names obviously] and tell Sonos which account to play the song on.

Try this:  Play a song on your phone.  Then have another family member play a song on their phone.  Do both play or does the music on your phone stop?  If both continue to play, are both phones logged in under separate Spotify logins or the same one?

That was the problem..I was not in the family account.. Was on the 9.99 premium account. Upgraded to the family premium account.. Mitch helped me figure this out

Going to try what you said.. Thank you. 

On 1/10/2021 at 10:27 AM, chudel said:

you can by process of elimination. if you have an audio matrix its easy to check the matrix active input and outputs. if not check what input control4 is switching the audio devices they should have unique inputs and based on which is used you can see the selected output that way. you can also just mute each output until you find the active one.

• 2 months later...

Not a fan of Spotify Connect at all.  Wish is was more like user/password and then go to C4 app and just pick music like Pandora, Amazon Music, etc.

Anyway, we have family plan and In C4 Home Edition gave Spotify Connect Name "C4 Spotify" with Auto room(s) selected.

When I open Spotify on my phone I can pick music, then pick C4 Spotify.  Then it plays for about 2-3 seconds and stops.

6 hours ago, Destroyer of Worlds said:

Not a fan of Spotify Connect at all.  Wish is was more like user/password and then go to C4 app and just pick music like Pandora, Amazon Music, etc.

Anyway, we have family plan and In C4 Home Edition gave Spotify Connect Name "C4 Spotify" with Auto room(s) selected.

When I open Spotify on my phone I can pick music, then pick C4 Spotify.  Then it plays for about 2-3 seconds and stops.

could likely be an issue with the controllers ability to stream. first thing i always check is the DNS. secondly the driver may need to be updated. Thirdly unistall and reinstall the drivers. or add new instances with the add music driver.

question? i have 14 audio zones and want to have more streams.  currently using the 24 matrix, and only getting my streams from the ea5.  any recommendations on hardware to install on my rack to increase the amount of streams by minimum 4 more?

i do have both analog and digital connected, but for some reason spotify automatically choses digital which wont work,  therefore diconnected the bindings.  want to find equipment that anyone can connect to via bluetooth or wifi and stream anything

38 minutes ago, 2bc4 said:

i do have both analog and digital connected, but for some reason spotify automatically choses digital which wont work,  therefore diconnected the bindings.  want to find equipment that anyone can connect to via bluetooth or wifi and stream anything

Control4 prioritizes Digital audio before analog but it should play thru them all.

Look at VSSL

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.