C4 Forums | Control4

Need Integrator with Onkyo Knowledge

Tonyrga

Hi, I need to secure someone's services to help with a C4 issue that has presented problems to those who usually assist me.

I have an Onkyo TX-RZ830 and have a TV and Projector connected to each of the HDMI Outs. If you know about Onkyo, you know you can set these HDMI outputs as HDMI Main or HDMI Sub or HDMI M+S. The other option is to have HDMI main and use the second HDMI as Zone 2. My TV is now connected to HDMI 1 out, and Projector is connected to HDMI out configured as Zone 2.  I do not want the projector to be attached to Zone 2 as that limits the HDMI inputs to # 1-3 and reduces sound quality of output.  I want the setup: TV from HDMI Main and Projector from HDMI Sub. (PS I have tried leaving both HDMI outs set to HDMI M+S but that now causes HDMI protection errors.

If someone thinks they can remote into my EA1 and make these changes, I am more than happy to pay for the service. PS, my ONKYO is controlled by IP currently. And I have the discrete RS232 codes to switch HDMI out from Main to Sub if that would help.

Please let me know if you can assist and/or if you need more info.

Thanks!

Tony

If you want someone to actually change the settings on the Onkyo itself, this is likely not to be possible remotely but could be done with remote "coaching". Changing the connections in the project should only take a few minutes.

Hey AK1, thanks for your reply.  I can make all the changes in the Onkyo. My issue is that the integrator that helps me most of the time (Mitch Greenfield--who is great BTW) tells me the Onkyo driver does not have a provision to change the HDMI outs from HDMI Main to HDMI Sub (and vice versa). He said the driver would only allow him to set it up as HDMI out and HDMI Zone 2. So we either need another driver or a work around.  Previous to this model Onkyo I had a TX-RZ610 and it was set up in C4 to operate the HDMI outs--and no issues.  I have wondered if we could go back to the driver that works with the TX-RZ610 and it would work for TX-RZ830 as well.

I want to select TV and let C4 change my Onkyo to HDMI main and if I select Projector, C4 should change my Onkyo to HDMI Sub (not Zone 2). Does that make sense?

Thanks! Tony

8 minutes ago, Tonyrga said:

Hey AK1, thanks for your reply.  I can make all the changes in the Onkyo. My issue is that the integrator that helps me most of the time (Mitch Greenfield--who is great BTW) tells me the Onkyo driver does not have a provision to change the HDMI outs from HDMI Main to HDMI Sub (and vice versa). He said the driver would only allow him to set it up as HDMI out and HDMI Zone 2. So we either need another driver or a work around.  Previous to this model Onkyo I had a TX-RZ610 and it was set up in C4 to operate the HDMI outs--and no issues.  I have wondered if we could go back to the driver that works with the TX-RZ610 and it would work for TX-RZ830 as well.

I want to select TV and let C4 change my Onkyo to HDMI main and if I select Projector, C4 should change my Onkyo to HDMI Sub (not Zone 2). Does that make sense?

Thanks! Tony

Mitch knows best.

Just now, msgreenf said:

Thanks but not in the case.  I have never laid hands on that model

Well perhaps a tad modest, but Onkyo / Integra tech support has all but disappeared which doesn't help.

31 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

Is this a scenario to use EITHER the TV OR the projector? Or are they in use at the same time.

I want to use the TV or Projector one at a time. I can make this work manually by going to the Onkyo front panel and switching HDMI from HDMI Out Main to HDMI Out Sub (and back to HDMI Main of course). So if I was not lazy, it does give me exercise.  But my wife does not know or care to know how to switch those HDMI Outs. Onkyo does have RS232 codes to make that switch. If I switched control by IP to RS232, would someone familiar with RS232 commands be able to "program" that. I have the discrete RS232 codes for both HDMI Out Main and HDMI Out Sub. Thanks!

39 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

I want to use the TV or Projector one at a time.

Shouldn't M+S ie both outputting at the same time do what you need then?

If not, I would just get a cheap HDMI splitter....

If I set the HDMI out to M+S, it causes my TV to put up an HDMI error and will not show anything until I change the HDMI back to Main. 

4 hours ago, lippavisual said:

You're getting HDMI errors because you are using 2 different displays with different EDID's.

Either get a 1x2 splitter, as recommended above, and split the main output or an outboard EDID emulator so you can match both displays.

Thanks so much for this advice. I will give one or both of these devices a try.  Much appreciated! Tony

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.