C4 Forums | Control4

On screen (TV overlay) C4 notifications rollout, feedback requested

Ever wanted to push your C4 notifications to your TV screens as an on-screen transparent overlay?

It's here now  hdmioverlay.gif

Full Demo Video          <=====    this one shows what it can do

Tutorial video showing programming and setup

Driver / app combination can be setup for 1 way notifications from C4 to any/all of your TVs or sources (easiest).  With a little more setup to can even do full real time 2 way control using definable on screen buttons back to your C4 system.

I would love to get your feedback on this.   Love it?  Hate it?  Meh?    Is it missing anything that you really need? 

How to try it out (for free):

1. Sign up for an account at splash-tiles.com 
    1. Free accounts don't need a CC and can do the notifications in full screen (not transparent overlay).  Works fine for testing
    2. Lite accounts do need a CC to get a 14 day trial.  Fully functionality.  Pricing is $25/yr afterwards if you keep it (for up to 5 devices).
  2. Download our free NetPlay Cloud driver  (video-storm.com)
  3. Get the free SplashTiles app on your TV on Android TV/Fire OS streaming device
  4. Follow the tutorial above, should take about 15 minutes or so for 1 way notifications.

6 minutes ago, chudel said:

Looks cool - I wish this was supported for Roku TVs. (i.e.: TCL models)

Only Android or FireTV models right now (TVs that allow our overlay on their HDMI inputs). 

You CAN overlay over any source or on unsupported TVs by using an extra hardware piece  (Z9X android streaming box with HDMI in / out).  https://splash-tiles.com/help/hdmioverlay.php

It also works on Shields or Firesticks, but in that case you are putting the overlay on that device output.

26 minutes ago, videostorm said:

Only Android or FireTV models right now (TVs that allow our overlay on their HDMI inputs). 

You CAN overlay over any source or on unsupported TVs by using an extra hardware piece  (Z9X android streaming box with HDMI in / out).  https://splash-tiles.com/help/hdmioverlay.php

It also works on Shields or Firesticks, but in that case you are putting the overlay on that device output.

That is pretty cool but wouldn't work for native Roku tvs and streaming on the tv itself...dang...

3 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

That is pretty cool but wouldn't work for native Roku tvs and streaming on the tv itself...dang...

I know, right?  Roku gotta open up their API so we can get these cool features natively ... increasingly I am using only the Roku and its mini-apps.  I'm only using the Roku now for Tivo and the odd BlueRay/DVD.  It sucks I can't get visual volume control (I don't have an SR260).

14 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

@videostorm Any ideas on making this idea work on Samsung TV's?

Possible.  HTML5 web apps are supposed to work on Tizen.  SplashTiles is a web app.  The transparent overlay is framework dependent though, so may not be available on the Samsungs.  Plus the messaging framework is different.  If enough people find it useful we could look into it.

22 hours ago, videostorm said:

This is insanely cool - will have to explore this option - would be great to overlay camera video alerts over the Roku output using a third party device.  This also seems like a great opportunity for an integrator to sell this extra hardware piece setup with your software so the end user just orders it, plugs it in - little remote programming and you're off to the races.  

37 minutes ago, DanITman said:

This is very cool and I might pick up a firestick to test it. 

I was looking at doing something similar with NeTV.

https://www.adafruit.com/product/609

The Zidoo Z9X is similar to the NeTV (HDMI in to HDMI out OTT box).  Works with SplashTiles of course.    https://splash-tiles.com/help/hdmioverlay.php

hdmi_overlay.gif

For standalone, IMO the new Chromecast is my choice right now over the Fire Sticks.  Super fast :)

1 hour ago, dinom said:

So I have a Sony XBR 900E, just checking that this would be compatible?  I use all external source devices (Roku and TiVo), so the overlay would work on both of these?

Looks really cool!

All the Sony Android TVs we have tested work well with our overlay on the HDMI inputs, so most likely the answer is yes.  Easy enough to try it and find out.  You can test it without any C4 integration by using the "Control" screen in your Splash-tiles.com account.  Just setup your test screen, install and link the app on your TV, then select an HDMI input (on the TV) and trigger "show overlay" via the splash-tiles.com "control" screen.  If it works as expected it will also work when integrated with C4.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.