C4 Forums | Control4

On screen (TV overlay) C4 notifications rollout, feedback requested

1 hour ago, videostorm said:

Full screen Splash-Tiles screens could be remotely triggered and displayed.  Probably will work for TVs as old as 2017.

so this would mean you could use your TV to auto change to the app and display informational screens - so good for billboard type notifications or info screens?

41 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

so this would mean you could use your TV to auto change to the app and display informational screens - so good for billboard type notifications or info screens?

Yes, same as the current feature on Android.  You can send a command via our driver to pull up any of your screens for display (full screen).  Your screens can have any content (including data pushed from our driver).

1 hour ago, videostorm said:

I may have spoke too soon.    

•    Overlay over HDMI     <=  looks like it could be done
  •   Overlay over other applications    <=  definitely a firm NO

How are you using your Samsung TVs?   Just using the HDMI input or are you using the apps on the TV?

overlay over ROku via HDMI WOULD BE BADA**

I use my Samsung TV with Roku (but will swap to Amazon Fire Cube as soon as the C4 driver is available) and Kaleidescape. So I guess once the Fore driver is available, I could use your driver as well for some of the time

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, Netplay TV 4.0.x (released already) adds the web source overlay capability same as SplashTiles.

Better yet, NetPlay TV overlay also works for any Netplay source  (full frame rate video as well).

The new mode is accessed via the existing PIP commands.  We have added an extra parameter for pip mode:

0 = Default mode  (Standard NetPlay PIP)

1 = Request Overlay mode, non interactive

2 = Request Overlay mode, interactive

"Request" just means it will revert to default mode on sinks that don't support overlay.  Interactive means the overlay will get any GUI commands (back to dismiss). 

Make sure you update your C4 driver for the new parameter.  You also need to enable "display over other apps" permissions for NetPlayTV on your decoders.

On 3/26/2021 at 2:44 PM, videostorm said:

I may have spoke too soon.    

•    Overlay over HDMI     <=  looks like it could be done
  •   Overlay over other applications    <=  definitely a firm NO

How are you using your Samsung TVs?   Just using the HDMI input or are you using the apps on the TV?

Using HDMI Input only, switched between a Roku (Primary), an Apple TV, and a Amazon Cube.

We sidelined developing the Samsung native app for now.  They have a lot of restrictions we would need to code around.  Will probably revisit it in a cutdown form (only single camera or notification tiles) this summer.

Seems like the value in the Samsung app is just for HDMI overlay.  For full screen display you could easily use a fire stick on HDMI.

15 hours ago, videostorm said:

We sidelined developing the Samsung native app for now.  They have a lot of restrictions we would need to code around.  Will probably revisit it in a cutdown form (only single camera or notification tiles) this summer.

Seems like the value in the Samsung app is just for HDMI overlay.  For full screen display you could easily use a fire stick on HDMI.

Yes correct, Just HDMI overlay.  It would be nice to see push notifications while I am watching a movie or TV.  Also could this include sports scores, Camera overlay if the Chime doorbell is activated. etc.?

1 hour ago, C4 User said:

This may be a dumb questions, but @videostorm can I use splashtiles for onscreen display of my sony tv even if I do not have the video storm video distribution system in my house?

Absolutely!  SplashTiles can be used standalone ($25/year for 5 devices) or as part of a NetPlay video distribution system.

We view it as different tiers based on what you need.  This doc is a little outdated (things are even better & cheaper now), but shows the ideas https://video-storm.com/Downloads/why_netplay_c4.pdf

• 4 weeks later...

Here is Stage 1 in the process of getting your IP cameras to display anywhere:

Our new CameraBridge tool is now ready in beta.  This tool is a simple, fast, and secure proxy engine for your cameras.  It runs on any Raspberry PI or linux PCs.  FREE for all of our SplashTiles Pro subscribers.

• Simple setup.  Don't need to learn about proxies & such.  Just spin up a PI and install our package.
  • Will replace old basic & digest authentication with token authentication ====> compatible with every browser & webview
  • Makes your digest auth MJPEG streams work in any browser or our tiles  (important for HIK cameras!)
  • Optional HTTPS encryption with token auth.  Modern security if you want to view your cameras outside your home.

Full details => https://splash-tiles.com/help/camerabridge.php

The longer term reason for CameraBridge is to support native overlay on Samsung & possibly LG tvs.  CameraBridge will serve up your cameras in a format suitable for the rather limited programming available on those platforms.

If you have HIK cameras, please test this :)        We want to get these working perfectly with SplashTiles.

On 5/16/2021 at 12:46 PM, videostorm said:

The longer term reason for CameraBridge is to support native overlay on Samsung & possibly LG tvs.

This is the first time I've seen mention of LG.  Is LG on the roadmap for splash-tiles overlay support?  LG does have a native screen sharing using Miracast so I'm hopeful.

20 minutes ago, tcwalker5 said:

This is the first time I've seen mention of LG.  Is LG on the roadmap for splash-tiles overlay support?  LG does have a native screen sharing using Miracast so I'm hopeful.

It's officially a "maybe".  WebOS is similar to Tizen in many ways, so we hope to be able to target it successfully.

Tizen and WebOS will only support limited features of course as discussed earlier.  

FYI, we have a major editor change that just went live today.

Your Screen editor (Dashboard) now operates as a simple drag and drop for your tiles (which then snap to your autosized grid).  The old method of "auto sorted" tiles is now history......    Seemed like a good idea, but it turned out to be too non-intuitive.  

This change should be fully transparent to all your user data & screens.  They will display the same as before.  When you edit them, it will just use the new method.  Your "spacer" tiles are now unnecessary and can be deleted if you like.

This also means there are no longer any special considerations for your tile layout.  You can put your tiles in any arrangement (even overlapping if you want).

If you do encounter anything weird, just let us know.

Lastly, we have added automatic WebHook API generator buttons to the remote control pages.  These buttons will give you the exact API command to execute any command you need.  Not critical for C4 since we have a driver, but makes IFTTT or other integrations much simplier.

11 hours ago, videostorm said:

FYI, we have a major editor change that just went live today.

Your Screen editor (Dashboard) now operates as a simple drag and drop for your tiles (which then snap to your autosized grid).  The old method of "auto sorted" tiles is now history......    Seemed like a good idea, but it turned out to be too non-intuitive.  

This change should be fully transparent to all your user data & screens.  They will display the same as before.  When you edit them, it will just use the new method.  Your "spacer" tiles are now unnecessary and can be deleted if you like.

This also means there are no longer any special considerations for your tile layout.  You can put your tiles in any arrangement (even overlapping if you want).

If you do encounter anything weird, just let us know.

Lastly, we have added automatic WebHook API generator buttons to the remote control pages.  These buttons will give you the exact API command to execute any command you need.  Not critical for C4 since we have a driver, but makes IFTTT or other integrations much simplier.

This sounds great, I'll give it a test later on.  I did have a request from a client to have the android device reboot nightly, this is more of an issue with the stability of the firestick and not a netplay thing.  I had to look up some workaround solutions and ultimately set it up a clunky way, but was wondering if it is or would be possible for your netplaytv app to remotely reboot the android device on request (potentially from the c4 driver)  or if this is outside of what android will let you do from an app.  Others may find this feature helpful as there wasn't a great way to get the device to scheduled reboot or controlled reboot from C4 command.

1 hour ago, malelan said:

This sounds great, I'll give it a test later on.  I did have a request from a client to have the android device reboot nightly, this is more of an issue with the stability of the firestick and not a netplay thing.  I had to look up some workaround solutions and ultimately set it up a clunky way, but was wondering if it is or would be possible for your netplaytv app to remotely reboot the android device on request (potentially from the c4 driver)  or if this is outside of what android will let you do from an app.  Others may find this feature helpful as there wasn't a great way to get the device to scheduled reboot or controlled reboot from C4 command.

We do have this capability built into NetPlay.  On the Sink Setup page (NVMM), you can see the REBOOT buttons for all sinks.  You can also reboot via the API command QRESTARTxxx  (xxx being the 3 digit sink number).

For VRX devices, that is all you need.  For other Android devices (Fire Stick etc), you will first need to enable ADB on that device and then send a test REBOOT command which will trigger the ADB permission screen on the stick.  Select allow always on the stick.  After that you should be able to remotely reboot that device via the methods above.

On 5/25/2021 at 11:18 AM, videostorm said:

We do have this capability built into NetPlay.  On the Sink Setup page (NVMM), you can see the REBOOT buttons for all sinks.  You can also reboot via the API command QRESTARTxxx  (xxx being the 3 digit sink number).

For VRX devices, that is all you need.  For other Android devices (Fire Stick etc), you will first need to enable ADB on that device and then send a test REBOOT command which will trigger the ADB permission screen on the stick.  Select allow always on the stick.  After that you should be able to remotely reboot that device via the methods above.

Sweet,  I tested this via NVMM and it worked great,  is there a way to pass QRESTART via control4 driver?

1 hour ago, malelan said:

Sweet,  I tested this via NVMM and it worked great,  is there a way to pass QRESTART via control4 driver?

Yes, use the "send_serial" command on our Netplay driver to send any Netplay protocol command.   Probably should rename that command as the "serial" part is just legacy.  Everything is IP now of course.

59 minutes ago, videostorm said:

Yes, use the "send_serial" command on our Netplay driver to send any Netplay protocol command.   Probably should rename that command as the "serial" part is just legacy.  Everything is IP now of course.

Would this be Send_Serial QRESTART002 for sink 2?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.