C4 Forums | Control4

Z2IO w/Garage Door Issues - Erratic behavior loop

tmj4

Have a Z2IO that I'm using with 1 relay and 2contact sensors (for open and closed) to control a Chamberlin garage door. 

Has been working fine the last few days--was installed this past weekend--but suddenly this morning my wife left home (opened and closed via HomeLink button in vehicle). In looking in the log I noticed there were 3 "open" events and one close "event," with one of the open events being the same time as the closed event.

I figured I'd test opening the door in the mobile app. Once I clicked it, the door started to open, then stopped, then closed, then started opening again. I then waited a few minutes to close the door. It started to close without issue but then it began an erratic loop of behavior of triggering relay commands being sent back and forth and random times while the door was opening or closing. Sometimes would wait 10 seconds and then it would start again. 

I could hear the relay being triggered maybe 5-10 times  rapidly in under a second. I rebooted both the controller and unplugged the Z2IO and plugged it back in. This loop continued. 

Any ideas why this could be happening? 

18 hours ago, Neo1738 said:
  1. Need more info are you using Z2IO for open close sensing? Are you soldered to a remote for control? (Most myq today don't allow relay direct wire open/close}. 

I have one contact sensor I'm using for close and one contact sensor I'm using for open. 

Not using myQ nor soldered to a remote. I'm using relay to trigger the garage door; these wires plug directly into the opener in the same two sockets the opener button plugs into. Nothing fancy there--just the conventional "shorting" of the circuit to trigger the motor.

Regardless, I've performed the 9-button-press reset of the unit and it's been fine since. Really no idea what was going on. Still concerned however that something may go crazy in the future and it start freaking out---but when we're not home.

17 hours ago, tmj4 said:

I have one contact sensor I'm using for close and one contact sensor I'm using for open. 

Not using myQ nor soldered to a remote. I'm using relay to trigger the garage door; these wires plug directly into the opener in the same two sockets the opener button plugs into. Nothing fancy there--just the conventional "shorting" of the circuit to trigger the motor.

Regardless, I've performed the 9-button-press reset of the unit and it's been fine since. Really no idea what was going on. Still concerned however that something may go crazy in the future and it start freaking out---but when we're not home.

Glad it's working and yeah if keeps happening may have to check that Z2IO maybe it's failing?

• 3 weeks later...

And it's acting back up again. Perhaps the debounce settings need to be adjusted. Anybody have any experience or good knowledge of those. 

Few times in the last couple of weeks it would try to open and wouldn't quite think it changed and then trigger a close and then open. Today, it just went on at all different intervals of space and time (2-10 seconds) for just about 10 minutes before I could move a vehicle, get the ladder out and unplug it so I could leave for an appointment. 

On 1/14/2021 at 1:36 PM, tmj4 said:

Not using myQ nor soldered to a remote. I'm using relay to trigger the garage door

Is is a MyQ door though? If it is, that is likely to be your problem. the short you're creating is only meant as an override method in case of failure, and shouldn't be used as a standard control.

Alternatively, look at the hold time on the relay pulse.

7 hours ago, Cyknight said:

Is is a MyQ door though?

It is not.

7 hours ago, Cyknight said:

Alternatively, look at the hold time on the relay pulse.

Do you mean the relay pulse time? Currently set to 100ms

4 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

100ms is REALLY short. I'd up that to 250 and see if it improves.

Ok...can bump up. 

Genuine question, however: The triggering has never been the issue, though. I can open the door from my phone...it will take a second or two and then it starts to move. Sometimes it will take 2 seconds, sometimes it'll take 5 seconds and then the trigger will fire again. 

Another odd note: For debugging purposes I have a push notification sent for every state change of the door. This weekend while doing some home infrastructure work, the controller was unplugged and plugged back in a couple times (it's PoE-powered). Each time it would come back online after being powered up, I'd get 4 notifications about the state of the garage door. Note that the Z2IO is currently unplugged because of this current adventure. 

Too short a pulse can do this - system sends pulse, doesn't see the state change and will try again...would certainly be a possible reason why you're seeing what you're seeing.

System reboot will have the system all sensors are closed until notified differently, so as it does or does not receive that feedback, that could explain the emails.

Note that you certainly have some oddities going on, and I'm just suggesting things site and system unseen, so non of these suggestions should be seen as definitive on their own as we're essentially 'exploring' possible causes.

4 hours ago, Cyknight said:

Too short a pulse can do this - system sends pulse, doesn't see the state change and will try again...would certainly be a possible reason why you're seeing what you're seeing.

Ok--will increase a bit more. Perhaps closer to 500ms. Wouldn't it be using the debounce setting instead if it doesn't see the change initially, or is that only at completion of change? 

4 hours ago, Cyknight said:

own as we're essentially 'exploring' possible causes.

What's wrong with exploring? Dora got a whole show about it...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.