C4 Forums | Control4

Another Z-Wave Question

SHPRemote

As part of my project to add C4 to my existing home, I need to control some z-wave devices including a Schlage lock, several Leviton switches and outlets, several GE outlets and four Graber "Virtual Cord" z-wave shades.  I've gone through the list of devices compatible with the C4 dongle and I know that there are not drivers for most of these.   Yes, I wish I could abandon the z-wave, but for my current home, I cannot.   Thus, I need a solution.

Currently, all of those z-wave devices are controlled two ways.  First, I have a Homeseer Zee.  Second I have them connected to my HAI/Leviton OmniPro II control panel via a Leviton VRC0P serial interface.  The Homeseer is the primary controller, the VRC0P is secondary. 

I plan to use the Domosapiens OmniPro driver.  I asked and they believe that the z-wave devices should move over because they are treated as normal "Units".  This may be my answer.  Has anybody done this?

Even if it does work but especially if it does not, I would likea backup.  From what I read, if I can get my hands on a Vera controller, that will work.  If that is true, I may buy one to use as the primary controller.  Is the Vera integration with the C4 driver reasonable?

Thanks,

Saul

Welcome!  I just went through a similar process starting last September, with installation in December and refinements and additions remotely with @msgreenf .  I started with HA in 2014 with SmartThings, left them in the summer because of their platform changes and went to Hubitat.  Hubitat couldn't handle the number devices I have and was totally unreliable.  Rather than going to another DIY platform, I decided to go to C4 for quality and reliability, the ability to rely on professional support, and the ability to still program things via Composer HE.  We're still adding to the system (I think that's a lifetime thing though because automation is a great hobby with great benefits) but we're thrilled with the results - rock solid, programming options are amazing, and the ability to bring in far more things than DYI has been great. 

That's the overview - but also an explanation as to why we have so many z-wave devices: roughly 40-50 dimmers and switches, the HomeSeer floodlight sensors, water valve, relays, outlets, etc.  To do this we have used the Vera and so far things have been fantastic.  Our sample size is still limited though - we've had the system operational for only about a month now.  Even so, the combo of Vera and C4 has been rock solid. 

A few thoughts in no particular order: the devices you can bring in are limited to the Vera C4 device drivers which exist so that includes relays, temp sensors, light sensors, locks, dimmers, etc. but there are limitations - ie no garage door drivers for instance.  I would think you wouldn't have an issue with your switches but I don't recall if there are blind drivers available - I have a leviton plug that works fine so you're probably good there - also Schlage locks that work great too so you're also probably ok there too.

Another point is that older zwave switches don't push status updates but you can get around this in programming.  So for instance if you want a timer to be activated when a switch is turned on manually, the switch may not tell the system that it is on (zwave plus does this but not some of the older zwave) - however, you can actually program around that and still get the function you want - just requires a little more work. 

Another thing to consider is that Vera was purchased a couple years ago and the new company is changing the platform and firmware - it is possible that something could be changed that would kill the Vera to C4 integration - on the Vera forums they claim that as long as you don't upgrade the Vera firmware it should continue indefinitely because it connects to C4 via telnet locally.  So just a warning that by using Vera we may be delaying swapping out the zwave equipment down the road if Vera breaks and no alternative exists.

Thank you for information.  I bought a VeraPlus that should arrive in a few days.  I’m hoping I can transfer my current zWave network configuration from the Homeseer to the Vera and make it the primary.  Otherwise, I’ll have to rebuild the network — which would be a major pain because I’ve got some devices in hard to reach places.  Most of my switches are Leviton Vizio RF +, and supposedly they will push their status.  

I read about the Vera purchase and assuming I get everything up and running, I will leave the Vera alone - no updates.  That Flex device from Brazil looks great, but I think I saw that it was hundreds of dollars which, in my case, with so few zWave devices, would not make sense.  

On 1/14/2021 at 9:15 PM, SHPRemote said:

Thank you for information.  I bought a VeraPlus that should arrive in a few days.  I’m hoping I can transfer my current zWave network configuration from the Homeseer to the Vera and make it the primary.  Otherwise, I’ll have to rebuild the network — which would be a major pain because I’ve got some devices in hard to reach places.  Most of my switches are Leviton Vizio RF +, and supposedly they will push their status.  

I read about the Vera purchase and assuming I get everything up and running, I will leave the Vera alone - no updates.  That Flex device from Brazil looks great, but I think I saw that it was hundreds of dollars which, in my case, with so few zWave devices, would not make sense.  

Very cool hope it works well for you - I can’t speak to that particular transfer process but I had to rebuild my network switching from hubitat. Huge pain but well worth the effort. Good luck!

The Vera integration works quite nicely most of the time but if you have a large number of zwave devices the communications can get bogged.. I have 80-ish lighting loads on zwave and it hangs my EA-5 on boot, I have to power off the Vera when starting the EA-5. This didnt happen when I had a small number of zwave devices. I spent less than $30 on most of my zwave loads (most loads) and the few places I have dimmers I have fairly nice cooper aspire dimmers which do support instant feedback....it would cost thousands to re-do with C4 so I'm stuck in a spot with mine for the forseeable future.

22 hours ago, mindedc1 said:

The Vera integration works quite nicely most of the time but if you have a large number of zwave devices the communications can get bogged.. I have 80-ish lighting loads on zwave and it hangs my EA-5 on boot, I have to power off the Vera when starting the EA-5. This didnt happen when I had a small number of zwave devices. I spent less than $30 on most of my zwave loads (most loads) and the few places I have dimmers I have fairly nice cooper aspire dimmers which do support instant feedback....it would cost thousands to re-do with C4 so I'm stuck in a spot with mine for the forseeable future.

Thanks.  I’m going to give it a go.  I actually have only a handful of devices I need to control so I’ll hopefully be OK.  

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.