C4 Forums | Control4

Zigbee extender

Hi Guys

I have followed this forum for many years and want to say you guys are very knowledgeable and helpful to many many Control4 users, thank you!

I had an EA3 installed 6 months ago to control 2 rooms, Theater in basement and Family Room. Ea3 is in a rack in the Theater. Family room is IR over Cat6. The Theater room SR260 works fantastic. 6 months later, after many remote programming sessions and 3 in home visits, the Family Room SR260 response is horrible. You have to press buttons multiple times to enter a command. My C4 dealer is very big and very experienced and I have had excellent service and support for 20 years. 

I have requested a Zigbee extender many times and the last tech to visit agreed. I thought they would send the Zigbee Extender but they sent a Zigbee to IO Extender and said it does the same thing, just plug it in and they will activate it. Is this correct? It showed some improvement but still not the same as the Theater, so know they want me to move it. I am about to send the EA3 back and get two EA1's instead and be done with it. BTW they did change the Zigbee channel which also showed slight improvement but still not as fast as the Theater.

There is no more 'ZigBee Extender' as a separate device, and the Z2IO replaces that as well as the old Z2IR and the old relay unit.

I've seen minimal if any difference between the Z2IO and the extender, maybe a slightly stronger signal - maybe due to the external antenna.

Note that an extender OR a Z2IO is NOT just 'plug into a wall and go' - the device still needs to be identified into the system to work.

Have you tried finding a better spot for the Z2IO? Generally you want the device to sit closer to the room with issues, but where there is still good signal for it to grab and extend, you would NOT normally place it INSIDE the area that is having issues.

On 1/15/2021 at 1:49 PM, Cyknight said:

There is no more 'ZigBee Extender' as a separate device, and the Z2IO replaces that as well as the old Z2IR and the old relay unit.

I've seen minimal if any difference between the Z2IO and the extender, maybe a slightly stronger signal - maybe due to the external antenna.

Note that an extender OR a Z2IO is NOT just 'plug into a wall and go' - the device still needs to be identified into the system to work.

Have you tried finding a better spot for the Z2IO? Generally you want the device to sit closer to the room with issues, but where there is still good signal for it to grab and extend, you would NOT normally place it INSIDE the area that is having issues.

Cyknight thanks for the reply. The extender was added by the dealer remotely. I tried moving it around and one spot works better than without the extender, but still not as well as the Theater room where the ea3 is. I am done with Zigbee fixes so can my hc300 be an io extender or is it best to add an ea1. I want it to work as great as the ea3.

55 minutes ago, jedigolf said:

Cyknight thanks for the reply. The extender was added by the dealer remotely. I tried moving it around and one spot works better than without the extender, but still not as well as the Theater room where the ea3 is. I am done with Zigbee fixes so can my hc300 be an io extender or is it best to add an ea1. I want it to work as great as the ea3.

Heh, the I/O extender is a different thing and doesnt do anything for zigbee.

Wether an HC300 can work as a ZigBee access point or ZigBee coordinator/server (better setup though it prevents remotes from roaming around) that would depend on your operating system as they aren't supported anymore.

The 300 was also never a 'great' ZAP (the 200 was better, has to do with antennae placement in the device) while an EA1 with it's external antennae is MUCH better at it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.