C4 Forums | Control4

How to add Apple Music?

Hood

Question

Trying to figure out how to add Apple Music to my system (EA-3) but don't see it on the app as an option for a service to add.  Am I missing something or do I need an integrator to add it for me?

44 minutes ago, AVNeeds said:

Apple Music is not a native service for C4 

Just curious if something changed?  When my remote integrator setup my system, he asked if I wanted to add Apple Music - at the time I wasn't using it, so I said no and he added Amazon music.  How do you listen to Apple Music through Control4 if it's not a "native service"?

You can AirPlay from any Apple Device to Control4 if you have the ShairBridge driver installed and setup.  You can set up various scenarios so that, fir instance, if you airplay to “Downstairs” it turns on the amp and plays music through all the downstairs speakers and similarly if you Airplay to outside, it plays through the outside speakers etc.  Your dealer would need to set up ShairBridge for you and you need to be happy choosing the music on your iphone / iPad

16 minutes ago, Hood said:

Just curious if something changed?  When my remote integrator setup my system, he asked if I wanted to add Apple Music - at the time I wasn't using it, so I said no and he added Amazon music.  How do you listen to Apple Music through Control4 if it's not a "native service"?

Apple music has never been supported. Only airplay has been an option. 

26 minutes ago, South Africa C4 user said:

You can AirPlay from any Apple Device to Control4 if you have the ShairBridge driver installed and setup.  You can set up various scenarios so that, fir instance, if you airplay to “Downstairs” it turns on the amp and plays music through all the downstairs speakers and similarly if you Airplay to outside, it plays through the outside speakers etc.  Your dealer would need to set up ShairBridge for you and you need to be happy choosing the music on your iphone / iPad

Ok - so right now I only see one ShairBridge option on my iOS device.  However, it sounds like you are saying that a dealer could setup ShairBridge such that there are multiple ShareBridge options linked to scenes or specific rooms?  Just trying to figure out what exactly I would need from the dealer versus what I can do on my own in Composer Home.

6 minutes ago, Hood said:

Ok - so right now I only see one ShairBridge option on my iOS device.  However, it sounds like you are saying that a dealer could setup ShairBridge such that there are multiple ShareBridge options linked to scenes or specific rooms?  Just trying to figure out what exactly I would need from the dealer versus what I can do on my own in Composer Home.

Correct

7 minutes ago, Hood said:

Your dealer would need to add each ShairBridge driver and name them appropriately.  As far as I remember (and it’s years since I se ShairBridge up), you can change what rooms are included in each driver.  But if you want to rename the drivers, you would need your dealer to do this or the Renamer driver.

10 minutes ago, South Africa C4 user said:

Your dealer would need to add each ShairBridge driver and name them appropriately.  As far as I remember (and it’s years since I se ShairBridge up), you can change what rooms are included in each driver.  But if you want to rename the drivers, you would need your dealer to do this or the Renamer driver.

Yes, you can change what rooms are included in each instance of the driver with Composer HE. You can also change the "broadcast name" in HE which is the name of that driver instance your iOS devices will see. So if you don't like the name your dealer gives the driver (or you decide to change the rooms it controls) you can at least modify what shows up on iOS devices for AirPlay. Like was said, if you want to change them in C4, will need dealer or Renamer driver. 

It also doesn't hurt to add an extra instance (or a few) of the driver in case you want to group rooms. This way you don't have to go into the C4 app and add rooms if you have some frequently used groupings because C4 doesn't support AirPlay 2. 

21 minutes ago, rea said:

Yes, you can change what rooms are included in each instance of the driver with Composer HE. You can also change the "broadcast name" in HE which is the name of that driver instance your iOS devices will see. So if you don't like the name your dealer gives the driver (or you decide to change the rooms it controls) you can at least modify what shows up on iOS devices for AirPlay. Like was said, if you want to change them in C4, will need dealer or Renamer driver. 

It also doesn't hurt to add an extra instance (or a few) of the driver in case you want to group rooms. This way you don't have to go into the C4 app and add rooms if you have some frequently used groupings because C4 doesn't support AirPlay 2. 

Getting your dealer to add spare instances of this driver and any other driver you use a lot is great advice.  Add in the renamer driver and you have a lot of flexibility.

Here’s a link to an older ( 2015) video that does a good job of helping to understand some setup ideas for Shairbridge/Airplay.  Learned a lot from this as my original plan was to set things up differently and my original installer had no recommendations.

I found it helpful because it helps explain some of the basics for end users to discuss with their dealer:  https://youtu.be/_HYkqprtpEY

The meat of the Shairbridge info starts around 9:30 into the video.

Just an FYI to those using Apple Music via Shairbridge. If you have an Amazon Prime account then you should also have access to Amazon Music. You should be able to add this without your dealer using the Add Music function.  Give that a try as it is "fully native" within C4. Spotify isn't fully native but works pretty well with C4 via Spotify connect.

To be honest, if you primarily listen to music via C4 then it may make sense to switch from Apple Music to another service for better C4 integration.  And I am an iOS Fanboi.

17 hours ago, zaphod said:

Just an FYI to those using Apple Music via Shairbridge. If you have an Amazon Prime account then you should also have access to Amazon Music. ...  Give that a try as it is "fully native" within C4. 

My experience with music from Amazon Prime is pretty limited (2mil song catalog)— it pushes me to get an Amazon Music Unlimited (70+ mil song catalog).

I don’t know how Sonos can have full Apple Music integration but Control4 can’t. My guess is c4 doesn’t want to pay the AM licensing fees. Which is dumb because they would just transfer that cost to us as a special driver ...

7 minutes ago, chudel said:

My experience with music from Amazon Prime is pretty limited (2mil song catalog)— it pushes me to get an Amazon Music Unlimited (70+ mil song catalog).

I don’t know how Sonos can have full Apple Music integration but Control4 can’t. My guess is c4 doesn’t want to pay the AM licensing fees. Which is dumb because they would just transfer that cost to us as a special driver ...

Sonos had integration when it was Beats....not sure if that factors in. 

47 minutes ago, chudel said:

True, but it let's people try out what a fully integrated service looks like, compared to using Shairplay.  

18 hours ago, zaphod said:

Just an FYI to those using Apple Music via Shairbridge. If you have an Amazon Prime account then you should also have access to Amazon Music. You should be able to add this without your dealer using the Add Music function.  Give that a try as it is "fully native" within C4. Spotify isn't fully native but works pretty well with C4 via Spotify connect.

To be honest, if you primarily listen to music via C4 then it may make sense to switch from Apple Music to another service for better C4 integration.  And I am an iOS Fanboi.

True... I moved to Tidal simply to get the C4 integration but my kids refused so now I have Apple Music and Tidal.  The6 use ShairBridge and I go native...

Tidal's app is the worst of the big 3 (Spotify, Apple Music, Tidal).  Also, if you have an Apple Watch, Apple Music is way better.  But, I love Tidal anyway (music quality).  At least in the US, you can get Tidal for about 50% off through Best Buy.  Could you get a Sonos Port and integrate that as an input on your Control4 system to get Apple Music?

11 minutes ago, Topspin14m said:

Tidal's app is the worst of the big 3 (Spotify, Apple Music, Tidal).  Also, if you have an Apple Watch, Apple Music is way better.  But, I love Tidal anyway (music quality).  At least in the US, you can get Tidal for about 50% off through Best Buy.  Could you get a Sonos Port and integrate that as an input on your Control4 system to get Apple Music?

Yes. You can get apple music to play in c4 via sonos but it's limited integration. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.