C4 Forums | Control4

NVidea Shield update adds control4

enzeder

2 hours ago, sofakng said:

Hmmm, the driver is working good so far but the numbers don't work.  

Confirming - number keys not working for me either.  I'd also like a long press solution, but I'm guessing that's a limitation on the Shield side of things.  Driver was super easy to configure otherwise.  I upgraded to 8.2.2 on the Shield after I installed the driver - it didn't seem to be needed to make the driver work.

I’m happy with the irusb/VS solution except on a reboot waiting for everything to click in. I’d consider changing but in 2 places I’m actually using the IR function of the IRUSB to control the TV.  Can you still use the IR bud if you use the c4 driver?

I started a thread on this but should have asked here. Does the shield support receiving a command from C4 to play local media files? I use MyMovies to create the metadata in C4. I want to retire my PopcornHour boxes in favor of the Shields but need this support. Thanks in advance. 

1 hour ago, ILoveC4 said:

I started a thread on this but should have asked here. Does the shield support receiving a command from C4 to play local media files? I use MyMovies to create the metadata in C4. I want to retire my PopcornHour boxes in favor of the Shields but need this support. Thanks in advance. 

I think you would need to use the Kodi software on the Shield, and the Full Kodi driver from Chowmain to accomplish the direct media file selection / play through the C4 interface.

1 hour ago, shupp872 said:

I think you would need to use the Kodi software on the Shield, and the Full Kodi driver from Chowmain to accomplish the direct media file selection / play through the C4 interface.

Even that’s challenging unless you are willing to dedicate your shield to Kodi exclusively. Once you close Kodi or focus on another app on the shield. You will lose that query access for the driver to pull the movie list into navigator. 

14 hours ago, OceanDad said:

I upgraded to 8.2.2 on the Shield after I installed the driver - it didn't seem to be needed to make the driver work.

SDDP etc was included in an earlier release, but to my understanding there were some issues with the driver or API or.....whatever it was (no I'm not privy to any details on the matter) which is why there is this more or less 'C4 centric firmware' release (and the driver was published).

So while it may sort of start to work on earlier versions, I wouldn't trust it to (keep) running well.

3 hours ago, malelan said:

Even that’s challenging unless you are willing to dedicate your shield to Kodi exclusively. Once you close Kodi or focus on another app on the shield. You will lose that query access for the driver to pull the movie list into navigator. 

Nor would it allow you to used the default My Movies interface even if it could as the movie browsing is within the Kodi driver (similar to how Tidal/TuneIn browsing is done in the driver itself, the channels/info isn't loaded into composer directly).

7 hours ago, ILoveC4 said:

I wish! That said, I've enjoyed Kodi as an interface after some tweaking done to the point that I can VERY much live with just browsing on the TV itself.

I'd happily ditch my 'basic' androidTVs dedicated to KODI and Roku players for Shields and the ability to launch all apps including Kodi directly.

27 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

Nor would it allow you to used the default My Movies interface even if it could as the movie browsing is within the Kodi driver (similar to how Tidal/TuneIn browsing is done in the driver itself, the channels/info isn't loaded into composer directly).

This is the reason why our Kodi Full driver always relaunches Kodi on room off.  So that you can browse movies when its in an off state.

If you try to browse movies and Kodi is not running it will show an error message telling you Kodi is not running and will launch Kodi.

2 hours ago, alanchow said:

This is the reason why our Kodi Full driver always relaunches Kodi on room off.  So that you can browse movies when its in an off state.

If you try to browse movies and Kodi is not running it will show an error message telling you Kodi is not running and will launch Kodi.

Yup, there's no debate on how well the Kodi driver works - but it's still not using the My Movies scanned info (not that it really matters) - which was my point here.

But over time I've just tweaked the info in Kodi to the point that using it's own interface is at least as easy to use (manual 'universes'/movie sets and ability to order them is great, such as keeping Star Wars or Marvel/DC Universe in event chronological order)

22 minutes ago, Psosmith82 said:

Is anybody having problems with there mini apps launching? For example, if i go to watch YouTube, it starts everything fine but only goes to Home Screen of the shield tv and i lose remote control until I go back to watch then shield tv 

@Psosmith82, what driver are you using? Is it the new Nvidia C4 driver? I have experienced similar behavior recently with IRUSB and Videostorm driver.

I can confirm it works (navigation and playback commands) with the older (2017 ?) shield. Controls are snappy with it and the 2019 shield pro. I'm not getting audio path on the universal minidrivers so there is probably an update coming that will fix that. 

I can also confirm that the other issue I'm seeing relative to the videostorm driver is that it doesn't expose the AV start/stop so no automating your lights to video playback... that's one of the coolest features of the shield with irusb in my book... 

It's also nice that you don't have to go find the hard remote if the shield reboots to permit the videostorm app access to USB.

1 hour ago, mindedc1 said:

I can confirm it works (navigation and playback commands) with the older (2017 ?) shield. Controls are snappy with it and the 2019 shield pro. I'm not getting audio path on the universal minidrivers so there is probably an update coming that will fix that. 

I can also confirm that the other issue I'm seeing relative to the videostorm driver is that it doesn't expose the AV start/stop so no automating your lights to video playback... that's one of the coolest features of the shield with irusb in my book... 

It's also nice that you don't have to go find the hard remote if the shield reboots to permit the videostorm app access to USB.

Are your mini drivers working? Mine only start the shield and go to home screen, then I lose control and it doesn't open the app.

Is there a way to program a long press?

Minidrivers are NOT working as they do not create an audio path through the driver. I think this is a bug and hopefully we will see a fix soon. The minidrivers also haven't seen an update in a little while, they may need new app strings added specifically for shield. I've about had it with the apps on a few of my smart TVs and I prefer shield over the Roku for video quality reasons. With Roku everything C4 works perfectly but it doensnt support all frame rates and last time I looked no dolby vision.

58 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

I thought the new roku pro does support it now?

1 hour ago, mindedc1 said:

...last time I looked no dolby vision.

I just looked and you are absolutely correct. My apologies to Roku for the slight. I haven't looked at a new one in a few months.

From what I can tell they still don't support 23.976 and force everything to 24fps. If this bothers you or not it's personal. Nvidia is on a crusade (well, ok, some sort of side hobby actually)  to enable global fresh rate switching and  the only way to get any modicum of decent 1080P -> 4K scaling with their ai scaling for streaming content. I think the streaming providers have a lot of blame here with requiring the UI to be in 4K60 before they will present UHD content. I presume this is to limit support issues for all of the weird older TVs that have limitations and constraints around refresh rates, resolutions, and color depth. I have a lot of respect for Nvidia doing AI upscaling and creating a global refresh rate switching API so I'm voting with my dollars.

I also have three older Roku premiums in use, one of the little cheapy $30 ones I bring on vacation so by no means think I'm saying it's a bad product. 

15 hours ago, Cyknight said:

On a side note, apparently NVidia discovered an error in the driver or firmware of some sort, and the driver is pulled on their request - hoping to have it back in a week or so 🤔

Because Nvidia forgot to encrypt the driver.  Their private key was exposed in the driver package. It will be up to Nvidia to decide a path forward now that their key is out in the wild.  Will they revoke it and push an update?  We will see. 

17 minutes ago, DanITman said:

Because Nvidia forgot to encrypt the driver.  Their private key was exposed in the driver package. It will be up to Nvidia to decide a path forward now that their key is out in the wild.  Will they revoke it and push an update?  We will see. 

Nice - probably will revoke it and that's why the driver wasn't just encrypted and republished right away.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.