C4 Forums | Control4

Media server

daveva

I currently have a dune media server with a synalogy Nas. I would like to use a Plex app but not sure that Dune supports this. Those of you that have a dune media server how do you have it set up. I would like to use chowmein driver but again I'm not sure dune support this.

1 hour ago, daveva said:

I currently have a dune media server with a synalogy Nas. I would like to use a Plex app but not sure that Dune supports this. Those of you that have a dune media server how do you have it set up. I would like to use chowmein driver but again I'm not sure dune support this.

Sorry I’m not familiar with a dune media server. I googled it and see there’s a dune player set top box. Is that the device you’re referring to? I couldn’t find a Plex app that runs on the dune player to view content from a Plex server.

As @ekohn00noted you could likely run a Plex server right off your synology. In my case I have a rack mounted synology nas with all our media and run the Plex server on a Mac mini (rather than the synology itself) that accesses the files from the synology nas. Then we use Rokus with the Plex app to access the media library. It works great.

But again it doesn’t look like the dune media player can run the Plex player so you may need to get another set top box that can run Plex (Roku, Apple TV, etc)  if that’s what you’re looking to do....

6 hours ago, C4 User said:

I had a Dune Nedia player with Synology NAS years ago but replaced it with InFuse Pro app on Apple TV. I highly recommend you look into it. Search this forum for InFuse to learn more. 

+1 for Infuse if you are happy to choose your movies from an Apple TV interface.

12 hours ago, C4 User said:

I had a Dune Nedia player with Synology NAS years ago but replaced it with InFuse Pro app on Apple TV. I highly recommend you look into it. Search this forum for InFuse to learn more. 

+1 on Infuse with a Synology NAS running PLEX.

DuePort points out using a Mac mini as a Plex server....  this is a great idea when you need to transcode. This is where infuse comes in....  it'll process on the "tv side". A great solution!

However if you have a lot of 4K files and no 4K television, that Mac mini may be great idea....

You might also be able to use the Dune as a player.... if it recognizes Plex or DLNA servers.

10 hours ago, alanchow said:

If you are looking at upgrading your media player experience i would recommend either Zappiti or Kaleidescape.  If you have ripped your own collection (which it sounds like you have) then Zappiti is the way to go.

Plex was by far an awesome system.... sold mine as it's way way way expensive once you move to BlueRay/4K. Now I have Plex/Nas and Infuse/ATV and a heated pool. :)

1 hour ago, Gary Leeds UK said:

You can always you my movies collection management - With the latest update at  My Movies everything looks like its working again 

That's what I have been using. It seems cover art has all disappeared in composer. When was the latest update

3 hours ago, ekohn00 said:

DuePort points out using a Mac mini as a Plex server....  this is a great idea when you need to transcode. This is where infuse comes in....  it'll process on the "tv side". A great solution!

However if you have a lot of 4K files and no 4K television, that Mac mini may be great idea....

Very true regarding transcoding but the benefits go even further.  I also like Plex because you can share libraries remotely, access your library remotely, and the metadata management and other features (watch together, etc) are a terrific value.  Having the Plex server running on the mini is nice because it gives you huge headroom to accommodate these tasks simultaneously - including transcoding for different displays and devices - I also think Plex just works more smoothly (running on the mac mini) when you have very large media libraries including high definition and 4K.

3 hours ago, daveva said:

That's what I have been using. It seems cover art has all disappeared in composer. When was the latest update

Just go to my movies and rebuild database - In HE you can not see movie art, but your dealer can see it in Pro - If you still have issue ask you 

dealer to delete and reload the My Movies Collection Manger Driver (We had to do this)

My Movies Collection Management is now on 5.40 and for the first time in along time no issues rebuilding database- Once sorted we now back up the data base - You can do this in HE also my Back up included art work. 

I do feel your pain 

2 hours ago, Dueport said:

@alanchow Very cool how you integrated library selection into the Neeo - does your Plex driver also allow for library browsing on the Neeo?

It should.  I’ve never tried.  Sales for our Plex driver have pretty much dried up since we launched Zappiti.  People love the simplicity of Zappiti.  It’s basically similar to a dune but has library support.  As such you don’t need a powerful NAS to run a server as everything is handled by the player.  Also Zappiti players are so cheap.

As a heavy Plex user on many different devices throughout my home, is anybody aware of Zappiti being able to be pointed to an NFS server/endpoint to read what ultimately is my Plex Library? (well just the media files, that is). Far more a fan of the server-client design of Plex compared to Zappiti, but Zappiti can also handle lots of formats w/o any transcoding, either. 

2 hours ago, alanchow said:

It should.  I’ve never tried.  Sales for our Plex driver have pretty much dried up since we launched Zappiti.  People love the simplicity of Zappiti.  It’s basically similar to a dune but has library support.  As such you don’t need a powerful NAS to run a server as everything is handled by the player.  Also Zappiti players are so cheap.

Would it be accurate to say that Zappiti players are better products for less tech savvy folks who don't want to deal with managing a media server / NAS? It has less attraction to me as I will always want to have a server that I can use for media and other content, plus run various dockers. But I can see the attraction for someone who wants a turnkey solution.

But how do you legally get the content onto the Zappiti's hard drive?  Don't you still have to rip the discs which isn't technically legal or takes some tech know-how?  Or download the movie files (mkv, mp4, etc) from nefarious sites?

1 hour ago, zaphod said:

But how do you legally get the content onto the Zappiti's hard drive? 

This has been the issue I keep running into too...kinda was the whole murky situation with Kaleidescape a few years back. 

This is on Zappiti's website: 

Due the editors protection designed to protect content owners against piracy, Zappiti NAS RIP 4K HDR is not available in some countries. Before to buy Zappiti NAS RIP 4K HDR, please inquire about local laws and video content protections. Protections and video content copy rights can depends on your country.

3 hours ago, tmj4 said:

As a heavy Plex user on many different devices throughout my home, is anybody aware of Zappiti being able to be pointed to an NFS server/endpoint to read what ultimately is my Plex Library? (well just the media files, that is). Far more a fan of the server-client design of Plex compared to Zappiti, but Zappiti can also handle lots of formats w/o any transcoding, either. 

Yes you can mount a remote NFS share and have Zappiti scan your media files in.  It has played every file format / codec i have thrown at it without skipping a beat.  This includes 4K Dolby atmos rips in both ISO, H.264, H.265, 8 bit and 10 bit encodes.

1 hour ago, zaphod said:

Would it be accurate to say that Zappiti players are better products for less tech savvy folks who don't want to deal with managing a media server / NAS? It has less attraction to me as I will always want to have a server that I can use for media and other content, plus run various dockers. But I can see the attraction for someone who wants a turnkey solution.

But how do you legally get the content onto the Zappiti's hard drive?  Don't you still have to rip the discs which isn't technically legal or takes some tech know-how?  Or download the movie files (mkv, mp4, etc) from nefarious sites?

Yes it is a perfect replacement for a Dune where you just want it to work.  Most people don't have the patience to manage their own servers.  Not saying that Plex is bad but just saying that most dealers i know of have had more problems setting it up due to lack of experience and knowledge of Plex.  They usually just want something that is easy and quick to install.

We have a Zappiti 4K Mini in our office.  You can install 2 x 8TB drives into that particular model which should be plenty of storage for most people.  If it isn't enough then as mentioned you can mount network shares from a NAS (or utilise USB attached storage on the read of the Zappiti unit).

13 minutes ago, tmj4 said:

This has been the issue I keep running into too...kinda was the whole murky situation with Kaleidescape a few years back. 

This is on Zappiti's website: 

Due the editors protection designed to protect content owners against piracy, Zappiti NAS RIP 4K HDR is not available in some countries. Before to buy Zappiti NAS RIP 4K HDR, please inquire about local laws and video content protections. Protections and video content copy rights can depends on your country.

Yes the Zappiti NAS RIP is an awesome piece of kit.  Just drop it in and it will rip the disc and the Player will automatically import it into the library.  Due to the way it does things it is not legal in certain countries due to copyright law.  In such countries we recommend Kaleidescape.

Had never heard of Zappiti before now. The idea of just dropping in a disc and having it rip is very appealing!! Is the NAS version the only one that supports ripping? Any idea whether the system works in USA? Anyone have experience with a Bluray library that is mostly music/concert discs, rather than movies?

9 minutes ago, elee532 said:

Had never heard of Zappiti before now. The idea of just dropping in a disc and having it rip is very appealing!! Is the NAS version the only one that supports ripping? Any idea whether the system works in USA? Anyone have experience with a Bluray library that is mostly music/concert discs, rather than movies?

I gave up on KScape because at the time, in the US, the laws meant for Bluray you needed to have a carousel because any disc you ripped had to be verified with the physical media before it plays. 

Today, I believe KScape requires you to purchase movies from them, and they can download it to your server. No ripping involved.....

I think someone mentioned that Zappiti mentions laws in the US..  not sure if they ship or US Dealers would even sell "ripping" systems....  But if they do, be aware of changes.....it happened with Kscape a couple of times.

2 hours ago, elee532 said:

Here are the products you can purchase in the US

https://www.zappiti.us.com/

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.