C4 Forums | Control4

Need a new wifi solution

C4 BEAR

Hi all.

I currently have an older Ruckus wifi system with 8 AP's around my home and a rack mount unit. The coverage is great, but the speeds are not what they should be. My wifi system is about 6 years old and apparently can't take advantage of the speed of service that I have which is is 1000 up and 1000 down.

All of my hard-wired computers get these speeds, but my wireless devices (mostly Apple products) are not seeing anything above 200. I have seen numerous "mesh" systems advertised that claim to give me the fastest wifi speeds available, but some people have told me that they will really mess up my Control4 stuff. 

Can anyone recommend a product that will easily cover a 6,000 square foot home plus the outside areas that will take advantage of the high speeds that I pay for and not cause havoc with Control 4?

THANK YOU

Hello,

I run unifi gear but appreciate that it's not recommended / supported by ontrol4.  My only comment is that  you're better off to use multiple wired discrete APs than a mesh network.  The mesh network itself uses the RF spectrum and you will require more "hops" to get to a wired ethernet interface out vs. using multiple APs.

Good luck!

If you currently have a Zonedirector 1200 installed in the rack, then seems to me that you would just need to replace the AP’s themselves for the newer technology.

Couple of ways to accomplish this.  You can reuse the ZD if you want and just add the newer APs.  You should already have 8 licenses attached to that ZD.  All WiFi related settings are configured on the ZD and then gets pushed to the APs.

You could also just purchase Ruckus Unleashed product and remove the ZD completely.  Now the WiFi controller will run virtually on the master AP, which then pushes the settings to all remaining APs.

Id personally stay clear of mesh products.  Not worth it if there’s even the slightest chance of problems whether now or in the future.

Hope it helps. 

Mesh is not faster.....

You'll find more people who don't have problems with Unifi and C4 than those that do. I run Unifi, never had a problem. Can't even create one.

I think most folks who've run into Unify problems and C4 are configuring things wrong.

1 hour ago, C4 BEAR said:

All of my hard-wired computers get these speeds, but my wireless devices (mostly Apple products) are not seeing anything above 200. I have seen numerous "mesh" systems advertised that claim to give me the fastest wifi speeds available, but some people have told me that they will really mess up my Control4 stuff. 

I love fast speeds as much as anyone else, but what applications on an iPhone need speeds faster than 200Mbps?  That is fast enough to stream 8 4K shows on Netflix simultaneously to one iOS device.

44 minutes ago, zaphod said:

I love fast speeds as much as anyone else, but what applications on an iPhone need speeds faster than 200Mbps?  That is fast enough to stream 8 4K shows on Netflix simultaneously to one iOS device.

As I've said in some AV threads, people chase #s.  If I am paying for X speed I want it on all devices.  Is it practical in the real world...well you kind of answered your own question

To the OP - I use Unifi Access points that seem to work.  If you like your layout/coverage and just not speed, get newer shiner AP's by the same company that have more beefed up specs as mentioned by @lippavisual especially if the new hardware can use the same ceiling mount.  less work, less holes to patch up, easier install, etc.

also a big fan of Unifi and never had a problem over many years on large complex projects.   Much of the Unifi criticisms thrown around are just baseless parroting from an old very narrow and mostly non-existent issue with multicast control that was long ago resolved. 

1 hour ago, lippavisual said:

If you currently have a Zonedirector 1200 installed in the rack, then seems to me that you would just need to replace the AP’s themselves for the newer technology.

Couple of ways to accomplish this.  You can reuse the ZD if you want and just add the newer APs.  You should already have 8 licenses attached to that ZD.  All WiFi related settings are configured on the ZD and then gets pushed to the APs.

You could also just purchase Ruckus Unleashed product and remove the ZD completely.  Now the WiFi controller will run virtually on the master AP, which then pushes the settings to all remaining APs.

Id personally stay clear of mesh products.  Not worth it if there’s even the slightest chance of problems whether now or in the future.

Hope it helps. 

Exactly.

16 minutes ago, zaphod said:

MS Teams with good video quality.

200Mbps is WAY, WAY, WAY more than you need for Teams 

Bandwidth requirements

Teams is designed to give the best audio, video, and content sharing experience regardless of your network conditions. That said, when bandwidth is insufficient, Teams prioritizes audio quality over video quality.

Where bandwidth isn't limited, Teams optimizes media quality, including up to 1080p video resolution, up to 30fps for video and 15fps for content, and high-fidelity audio.

This table describes how Teams uses bandwidth. Teams is always conservative on bandwidth utilization and can deliver HD video quality in under 1.2Mbps. The actual bandwidth consumption in each audio/video call or meeting will vary based on several factors, such as video layout, video resolution, and video frames per second. When more bandwidth is available, quality and usage will increase to deliver the best experience.

BANDWIDTH REQUIREMENTS
Bandwidth(up/down) Scenarios
30 kbps Peer-to-peer audio calling
130 kbps Peer-to-peer audio calling and screen sharing
500 kbps Peer-to-peer quality video calling 360p at 30fps
1.2 Mbps Peer-to-peer HD quality video calling with resolution of HD 720p at 30fps
1.5 Mbps Peer-to-peer HD quality video calling with resolution of HD 1080p at 30fps
500kbps/1Mbps Group Video calling
1Mbps/2Mbps HD Group video calling (540p videos on 1080p screen)

11 hours ago, C4 BEAR said:

I have seen numerous "mesh" systems advertised that claim to give me the fastest wifi speeds available

If they are truly a mesh system, that is non-sense.

Wifi can certainly go faster than 200Mb/s - but as per several posts on this thread, no singular phone application currently (and likely for quite some time) needs it at all.

People really ought to stop believing the numbers hype.....

25 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

If they are truly a mesh system, that is non-sense.

Wifi can certainly go faster than 200Mb/s - but as per several posts on this thread, no singular phone application currently (and likely for quite some time) needs it at all.

People really ought to stop believing the numbers hype.....

But its fun!

20 hours ago, C4 BEAR said:

Hi all.

I currently have an older Ruckus wifi system with 8 AP's around my home and a rack mount unit. The coverage is great, but the speeds are not what they should be. My wifi system is about 6 years old and apparently can't take advantage of the speed of service that I have which is is 1000 up and 1000 down.

Can anyone recommend a product that will easily cover a 6,000 square foot home plus the outside areas that will take advantage of the high speeds that I pay for and not cause havoc with Control 4?

THANK YOU

Which Ruckus AP's are you running?  I have a mixed AP system of new and old Ruckus all Unleashed (R650x2,R720,R610) and they work together perfectly.    A step up from my former Unifi APs.   They also work great with my current Unifi routing, switching and cameras.   I'm also in the camp of Unifi but would not switch out an existing system of Ruckus for Unifi APs unless their was a specific reason (eg old Ruckus APs and wanting Wifi6 so needing to upgrade) or wanting to have a fully integrated system on the UI dashboard / IOS control.  

Thank you all for the great suggestions. I guess I will try to contact a ruckus dealer to see how much it would cost to replace the 8 AP’s with newer versions. That seems like the easiest route to go. Thank you all again. 

56 minutes ago, C4 BEAR said:

Thank you all for the great suggestions. I guess I will try to contact a ruckus dealer to see how much it would cost to replace the 8 AP’s with newer versions. That seems like the easiest route to go. Thank you all again. 

You have some great Ruckus dealers on this forum who you can PM,  eg @time2jet

On 1/29/2021 at 10:44 AM, Dave w said:

also a big fan of Unifi and never had a problem over many years on large complex projects.   Much of the Unifi criticisms thrown around are just baseless parroting from an old very narrow and mostly non-existent issue with multicast control that was long ago resolved. 

SO can you recommend which Unifi system to get? Thanks

48 minutes ago, C4 BEAR said:

I would start with base router as a Unifi UDM-Pro.   Then one solid POE "main" switch, either Unifi Pro Switch 24/48 POE.  If you want a little more next gen, then get a 2.5/10G POE switch. Then I would keep your Ruckus APs (still dont know what model APs you have) and wait a few months as Unifi is releasing an entire new line of Wifi6 APs.   I would wait and get them versus buy the current lineup as its in transition and you have potentially good gear now.

But.... To recommend something properly, you really need to share more information about your network needs and maybe even talk to a dealer who is proficient in Unifi (lots of them) unless you are DIY inclined.

On 1/29/2021 at 1:30 PM, zaphod said:

I came here to say exactly the same thing. 

I don't think the OP needs to spend money on shiny new WiFi as the current is fast enough for any known use cases. 

More importantly it works. 

On 1/31/2021 at 10:45 AM, ejn1 said:

I would start with base router as a Unifi UDM-Pro.   Then one solid POE "main" switch, either Unifi Pro Switch 24/48 POE.  If you want a little more next gen, then get a 2.5/10G POE switch. Then I would keep your Ruckus APs (still dont know what model APs you have) and wait a few months as Unifi is releasing an entire new line of Wifi6 APs.   I would wait and get them versus buy the current lineup as its in transition and you have potentially good gear now.

But.... To recommend something properly, you really need to share more information about your network needs and maybe even talk to a dealer who is proficient in Unifi (lots of them) unless you are DIY inclined.

I have the Zone Director 1100 and 8 AP's (Zf7372 and  zf7363 some of each)

On 1/31/2021 at 10:45 AM, ejn1 said:

I have a POE switch now (24 port Araknis) and an Araknis router. I am definitely NOT a DIY guy. 

On 1/31/2021 at 7:50 PM, C4 BEAR said:

This is what I have just ordered (waiting for delivery) for my new build

Dream Machine Pro: https://eu.store.ui.com/collections/unifi-network-routing-switching/products/udm-pro

2 x 48 Port PoE Switch: https://eu.store.ui.com/collections/unifi-network-routing-switching/products/usw-pro-48-poe

Ordering a number of these next month when they become available in my region

New: UniFi 6 Lite Access Point: https://eu.store.ui.com/collections/unifi-network-access-points/products/unifi-ap-6-lite

Then from there the UniFi Protect and cameras

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.