C4 Forums | Control4

Does OS3 replace Composer Home Edition

Hi, I have installed Control4 for about 3 years ago.  The local dealer struggles with “getting-it-right” in respect to creating scenes etc.  Everytime he comes back he charges me $85/hour and I bet I have paid 2-3k over time.  I couldn’t get any response from him recently, so I contacted Control4 directly, who were a lot more helpful.  They suggested I use Composer Home Edition, and get this from my Local Dealer.   When I contacted him he was dismissive, and said OS3 replaces this software.

Can somebody with experience please advise me on this matter.  I get the impression the local dealer just wants to keep his money supply in tack?

David 

Thanks very much.  I have replaced a kitchen pendant fitting (3) with a chandelier.  It is on a program that after sunset and if the room motion sensor is broken, the light come on @ 10%.  The new fitting is 640W (16 bulbs) to the old one of 180W (3 bulbs).  I need to lower the % as its now to bright, but to do that means a visit from my local dealer for two hours @ $170 dollars, for what I assume is a 10 minute job. Can you answer one other question, if possible.  Is it normal practice for a dealer to lock all programming?   As I am sure even When>>Then will allow me to change the %, if I could access the program?

david

1 hour ago, David Turnbull said:

Hi, I have installed Control4 for about 3 years ago.  The local dealer struggles with “getting-it-right” in respect to creating scenes etc.  Everytime he comes back he charges me $85/hour and I bet I have paid 2-3k over time.  I couldn’t get any response from him recently, so I contacted Control4 directly, who were a lot more helpful.  They suggested I use Composer Home Edition, and get this from my Local Dealer.   When I contacted him he was dismissive, and said OS3 replaces this software.

Can somebody with experience please advise me on this matter.  I get the impression the local dealer just wants to keep his money supply in tack?

David 

PM Sent.  I would also imagine if you do end up with Composer HE and get stuck, there are programmers that are absolute wizards here (I'm not one of them!), so just ask for help.  If someone ends up doing some complicated programming, they are very reasonable.

41 minutes ago, David Turnbull said:

Thanks very much.  I have replaced a kitchen pendant fitting (3) with a chandelier.  It is on a program that after sunset and if the room motion sensor is broken, the light come on @ 10%.  The new fitting is 640W (16 bulbs) to the old one of 180W (3 bulbs).  I need to lower the % as its now to bright, but to do that means a visit from my local dealer for two hours @ $170 dollars, for what I assume is a 10 minute job. Can you answer one other question, if possible.  Is it normal practice for a dealer to lock all programming?   As I am sure even When>>Then will allow me to change the %, if I could access the program?

david

If you're not in a service contract with your current dealer, it's safe to ask any dealer to sell you Composer HE.  You will most likely enjoy using it and will be able to accomplish tasks like you described.

I can sell you a lifetime licence and include a 1 year of 4sight.

On 1/29/2021 at 11:31 AM, David Turnbull said:

When I contacted him he was dismissive, and said OS3 replaces this software.

Sigh.

Just a few points in case others are wondering.

Composer MEDIA Edition is no longer supported (3.1 I believe) - HOME Edition 100% is, though with the numerous back-ground changes, there's been some issues in the program, which are being sorted out.

Could also mean WHEN->THEN replaces HE, but again, that is actually pre os3, and is not the same thing, although a nice addition to have.

Small note - there are dealers that will not support systems edited with HE under a service contract. This doesn't mean they will not fix issues, including under warranty devices, but that they'll not accept a service contract for people using HE, so any service is by the hour.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.