C4 Forums | Control4

LED Garden/Landscape Lights

brucecampbell

Question

I've purchased some low voltage coloured LED garden lights to add to my outdoor serenity.

These new LED lights state they are AC/DC 12-24V

Should I expect that if I use an AC power supply, that these will flicker at high speed (potentially too fast to notice)?
And does this cause damage?
or
Should I expect they have the built in function to convert to DC?
or
Am I best to just get a new DC power supply for them?  (note - I already have 12VAC that I would prefer to use)

cheers.

4 answers to this question

On 2/9/2021 at 8:31 PM, brucecampbell said:

I've purchased some low voltage coloured LED garden lights to add to my outdoor serenity.

These new LED lights state they are AC/DC 12-24V

Should I expect that if I use an AC power supply, that these will flicker at high speed (potentially too fast to notice)?
And does this cause damage?
or
Should I expect they have the built in function to convert to DC?
or
Am I best to just get a new DC power supply for them?  (note - I already have 12VAC that I would prefer to use)

cheers.

Since they're LEDs, they probably convert the AC to DC.

I've hooked them up to the 12VAC and they appear like a solid light.

I've got other step/deck lights which stated DC which upon hooking up to 12VAC had a very noticeable flicker.
And always worried about undue damage (not that they are high price items, but want them to last...)

Just got some more for in the pond which are labeled AC/DC and actually have blue, brown and yellow wires, which I'd assume you'd get red/black if DC ....?

I believe AC/DC LEDs should always convert to DC and shouldn't blink. (the actual LED part works as DC so if the source is AC it's converted).

A DC light could work under AC, you didn't say, but would guess its not a LED. The AC flicker could be noticeable, which I assume you're seeing. This will definitely shorten the life of a bulb that's only DC.

As for colors.....it depends on the country. For Example, Here in the US I don't think there's a standard for yellow. Yellow/Green would be ground.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.