C4 Forums | Control4

Compatible Receivers for C4-LU642L

pomchi

Hello All - I am new to this forum (and Control4). I have bought a Control4 LU642L Kit (matrix only) and need to buy the receivers separately. I have a few questions -

• Can I ONLY use the LU1 receivers with this matrix (i.e. is it a proprietary receiver for this switch) or can I also use other brand HDBaseT receivers i.e. Altona etc ?
  • Can I also use LU1E receiver with LU642L to make use of the LAN port? The data sheet is little confusing/conflicting.  
  • If I have a choice, what other brand do you recommend that are not too expensive?

Thanks for your help in advance

17 hours ago, pomchi said:

Hello All - I am new to this forum (and Control4). I have bought a Control4 LU642L Kit (matrix only) and need to buy the receivers separately. I have a few questions -

• Can I ONLY use the LU1 receivers with this matrix (i.e. is it a proprietary receiver for this switch) or can I also use other brand HDBaseT receivers i.e. Altona etc ?
  • Can I also use LU1E receiver with LU642L to make use of the LAN port? The data sheet is little confusing/conflicting.  
  • If I have a choice, what other brand do you recommend that are not too expensive?

Thanks for your help in advance

Yes you need the lu1 and it’s the only one that will work. 
I have a few laying around if your interested send me a pm

Well....

Technically, any HDBaseT receiver that is powered by it's own plug-in adapter can work with any HDBaseT compliant matrix switch.

HOWEVER as the LU switches normally provide power to the baluns, there is a risk that a 3rd party balun doesn't have the appropriate internal wiring to shield itself from the added power, risking damaging both the balun AND the switch. So I REALLY don't recommend doing it (for any POC or POH matrix - meaning any matrix that powers the baluns directly).

So yes, get the LU1 baluns for this.

On the question of the LU1e - no the KIT matrix (L series) video matrix is not capable of passing ethernet - the LU1e would work for video and IR, but you're not getting any extra benefit using these more expensive units.

Thank you both. Very helpful. I will stick with LU1 or LU1E. 

Regarding the limitation of the KIT matrix, do you know this from your personal experience? I ask this because the data sheet is little ambiguous on this. Let me explain - while the table on page 2 clearly states that Ethernet over HDBaseT is not available for the KIT matrix but this might be because, the LU642L KIT ships with LU1 baluns which does not have a LAN port.

I am also inferring this because the first paragraph on the data sheet (attached) suggests that LU1E can be used for Ethernet with all the matrix in the "C4-LUXXX" family. 

The Control4® 4K Ultra HD HDMI Matrix System comprises a Control4 4K Ultra HD AV Matrix Switch (C4-LU1082D, C4-LU862D, C4-LU642D, C4-LU1082, C4-LU862, C4-LU642, C4-LU642L), Control4 4K HDBaseT Receivers (C4-LU1E, C4-LU1) and Control4 4K Point-to-Point Kits (LTPTP-F, LTPTP-L). The Control4 4K Ultra HD HDMI Matrix System is designed to accept HDMI AV sources at its inputs and route them to remotely located HDBaseT receivers along with control and Ethernet (C4-LU1E only) signals.

4k-uhd-lu-series-data-sheet-rev-a.pdf

It will not do ethernet on the 'L' series switches (which is the kit).

There's a full dealer sheet on compatibility of the LU series and tested baluns that states that exact fact. Oh and yes that sheet does state the LU series won't work with 'wall powered' baluns they've tested - so if anything more reason to just stick with the LU1. 😄

Got it. I think, it settles this. Thank you.

I have a related question though - Does the same compatibility applies to point-to-point baluns i.e. does this matrix only work with LTPTP-F, LTPTP-L or can I use an AVPro POH balun (AC-EX70-UHD) (currently using it on a AV Receiver) on its HDMI port?  

• 10 months later...

I have had a major power outage and in the process lost 5 hdbaset units 

I know leaf do one that works with c4 but is there any others as the original ones are not cheap, or can they be repaired

if anybody has some spare they like to sell please contact me 

• 5 months later...
On 2/11/2021 at 2:53 PM, JSTRONG said:

Yes you need the lu1 and it’s the only one that will work. 
I have a few laying around if your interested send me a pm

Hi there, do you still have the lu1 laying around. Please let me know price and quantity (need 3) 

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.