C4 Forums | Control4

Chowmain - Android TV (Amazon Fire TV, Chromecast with Google TV, AirTV, Xiaomi Mibox, etc) driver for Control4

alanchow

35 minutes ago, AshMania said:

Anyone tested this on a Formuler GTV box?

If it runs Android TV it'll work.

We do suggest that you utilise the FREE 90 day trial before licence purchase to ensure driver satisfaction.

11 minutes ago, alanchow said:

If it runs Android TV it'll work.

We do suggest that you utilise the FREE 90 day trial before licence purchase to ensure driver satisfaction.

Thanks - planning to do just that.

Was curious if someone else had the leg work :)

12 hours ago, zg825 said:

I think there is another method for fire tv. I switched from google TVs to fire TVs. Unfortunately, with this new driver, there was still a lag. With fire tv, it was instant. 

Sorry, I’m not sure I completely understood you. With the same driver you had a delay with Google TV, but with Fire TV there was no delay? 

• 1 month later...
22 minutes ago, Ilan_V said:

Has anyone tested this on an Epson LS-500W Android Projector?

This driver does not provide source switching for Android based projectors or TVs.  The driver is designed for media players only.

• 3 months later...

I know I'm a bit late to the race here, but I've been playing with and testing this driver for a few weeks now and have some feedback that may answer some questions and may help.

- with the zank (advanced) mode this driver works very well, very fast, no noticable difference for me between irusb and this driver, so that is pretty sweet, and if latency was a concern i wouldn't really worry about that going in.

- this driver supports mini-apps, but only its own mini-app library,  it is not compatible with the universal miniapps (of which C4 has released 100's int he last few months) .  It is possible to create your own custom miniapp so that isn't bad, if there is something missing, you can create your own with a bit of elbow grease.

- this driver does not support passthrough mode.  (hiding the core device behind the app name in the remote/navigator menus)

- this driver supplies a standard android keymap, but only lets you configure the usage of the 4 colored buttons.  If you wanted to re-map guide, or info, or menu or anything, that wouldn't be possible without a 3rd party app on the device itself.

Overall the zank app was easy to find and very accessible.  the whole experience was very painless.

On 1/21/2022 at 10:57 PM, malelan said:

I know I'm a bit late to the race here, but I've been playing with and testing this driver for a few weeks now and have some feedback that may answer some questions and may help.

- with the zank (advanced) mode this driver works very well, very fast, no noticable difference for me between irusb and this driver, so that is pretty sweet, and if latency was a concern i wouldn't really worry about that going in.

- this driver supports mini-apps, but only its own mini-app library,  it is not compatible with the universal miniapps (of which C4 has released 100's int he last few months) .  It is possible to create your own custom miniapp so that isn't bad, if there is something missing, you can create your own with a bit of elbow grease.

- this driver does not support passthrough mode.  (hiding the core device behind the app name in the remote/navigator menus)

- this driver supplies a standard android keymap, but only lets you configure the usage of the 4 colored buttons.  If you wanted to re-map guide, or info, or menu or anything, that wouldn't be possible without a 3rd party app on the device itself.

Overall the zank app was easy to find and very accessible.  the whole experience was very painless.

For Xiaomi M3 or M4, Only works on WiFi not LAN as it disables LAN totally when invoking Zank or even the newer method! So what is ur hardware used?

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/25/2022 at 8:17 PM, Amr said:

For Xiaomi M3 or M4, Only works on WiFi not LAN as it disables LAN totally when invoking Zank or even the newer method! So what is ur hardware used?

I apologize for the late reply,  My tests were done on an nvidia shield, hardwired in.

• 3 months later...

I have a question about this driver - 

I can purchase an Android TV Box 11.0 and get it installed - I (however) have no Android devices - all my phones are IOS (Apple) Do I need to have something to install or on constantly that is Android other than the TV Box to make this work?

I read the directions and it looked like I have to download and install the App on an Android device that I do not have.  Is this driver still the best option to use Google Chromecast in Control 4?

Bill

2 minutes ago, TexasBill said:

I have a question about this driver - 

I can purchase an Android TV Box 11.0 and get it installed - I (however) have no Android devices - all my phones are IOS (Apple) Do I need to have something to install or on constantly that is Android other than the TV Box to make this work?

I read the directions and it looked like I have to download and install the App on an Android device that I do not have.  Is this driver still the best option to use Google Chromecast in Control 4?

Bill

It appears that the Apple Store also has a Zank (remote Developer is Duc Ky Ngo) will this also work instead of getting it from the Google Store?

Still interested if this is the best way to run Google Chromecast in Control 4 or is there is something native now?

You don't need to install any apps on your mobile device.  It used to be a method to confirm that it worked but since then the Zank app uses a different method to our driver for communications.  As such the troubleshooting is no longer valid.

In summary.  No need to install ios or android mobile app to get this to work.

• 3 months later...

The driver doesn't seem to work well if you have multiple devices you want to control with this method. I have 2 firesticks and I have added 2 of the Amazon Fire TV (ZANK) drivers through Composer. Now when I set or change the IP address for one device in the Properties tab of one driver, it automatically changes the other driver to the same IP address so I can never have multiple drivers pointing to different devices to be controlled.

3 hours ago, mrd176 said:

The driver doesn't seem to work well if you have multiple devices you want to control with this method. I have 2 firesticks and I have added 2 of the Amazon Fire TV (ZANK) drivers through Composer. Now when I set or change the IP address for one device in the Properties tab of one driver, it automatically changes the other driver to the same IP address so I can never have multiple drivers pointing to different devices to be controlled.

That is impossible.  Each driver is in its own sandbox so they don't talk to each other.

The only time it changes the IP address of a device is upon device discovery.  So its likely this is the problem.

If you have multiple of the same device types (eg 2 x Firesticks) then disable device discovery as Zank only provides us with the device type as the unique (or not so unique) identifier.

In future please submit a ticket or call us for support as we don't actively monitor this forum.

https://chowmain.software/for-integrators/technical-support

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 12/25/2022 at 7:52 PM, KushHalai said:

Hi, using this with chrome cast.

How can I get the connection between the driver and the receiver I’m using.

Is this Chrome Cast with Google TV? It won't work with Regular Chrome Cast, regular CC needs a Display only Icon that allows u to switch to the source nothing else.

16 hours ago, KushHalai said:

This is fully supported by Chowmain driver then, so did you followed the setup instructions? Can u control it with Google App on your phone?

I went back and read your description of the issue and I couldn’t figure out what do u exactly want to achieve? You bind your Chromecast to an input of your receiver! This needs your receiver to be identified and integrated into C4, is this step done?

1 hour ago, Amr said:

This is fully supported by Chowmain driver then, so did you followed the setup instructions? Can u control it with Google App on your phone?

I went back and read your description of the issue and I couldn’t figure out what do u exactly want to achieve? You bind your Chromecast to an input of your receiver! This needs your receiver to be identified and integrated into C4, is this step done?

The avr is into c4 and works with the tv and other sources etc. the chrome cast(Zank driver)  doesn’t have a hdmi out in connections. It is working from the Zank app 

13 hours ago, KushHalai said:

The avr is into c4 and works with the tv and other sources etc. the chrome cast(Zank driver)  doesn’t have a hdmi out in connections. It is working from the Zank app 

What Zank app? The driver you should use is mediaplayer Google TV, use this and it has a virtual switcher that allows u to hookup the HDMI to your Inputs.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.